First time on this site. Seeing the You Tube posting truly brought memories flooding back. I lived at 97 until 1966. Sad to see Ashwell Street School now demolished. My old mate Frank Rowley, not seen him for years.

Dave Brown

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also remember Elaine Blood she was in the same year as me at Carlton Girls. My mum who is now 96 was born on Dunstan street in the 1920's I am not sure what number but the surname was Hall my grandf

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. Don't have too many m

This could have been Robinsons nursery that has featured in a previous thread . Used to pass it every day on my way home from school .  

Lost with Derek

Born 1948, I lived there from 1950 to 1966

95 was Mick Hooper, 99 Dave Williams, 101 s**t I can't remember but it will come back to me. Graham Rawdin lived on the opposite side, further down. Have lots of memories, the old engine sheds, fishing on the ponds and Trent.

Mr Glover the St John's ambulance man who was more like the street Doctor. Father Gibson the street Vicar with the only phone and Jammo's chip shop, he used to spit in the fat to see if it was hot enough for the chips!

HI DOGGIE.

CAN YOU REMEMBER DAVE PANE HAD SISTERS JEAN AND SHEILA LIVED LEFT HAND SIDE NEAR THE TOP AS YOU WENT DOWN FRON VICTORIA RD. JEAN WAS IN MY CLASS ALL THE WAY THROUGH SCOOOL ASHWELL ST AND CARLTON GIRLS I WAS A BIT YOUNGER THAN YOU BUT KEN WILLIAMS WAS ALSO IN MY CLASS AT ASHWELL ST. ALSO KENNY MILNER WHO HAD OLDER SISTER GAIL AND A OLDER BROTHER WHOES NAME HAS SLIPED MY MIND AT THE MOMENT SPENT A LOT OF TIME AT NEV BARRATS HOUSE AS MY MUM AND HIS BIG FRIENDS DID YOU GO TO THE YOUTH CLUBWHEN NEV AND JEANIE RAN IT ALSO SOMEONE YOU MIGHT REMEMBER NIEL ROTH WITH THE CLUB FOOT WHO LIVED ON CURZON ST VAL AND DAVE CANT.

I LIVED ON DEBIL ST BUT USED TO PLAY ON THE LITTLE PARK ON DUNSTON ST A LOT WITH MY FRIENDS WHO LIVED THAT END OF NETHERFIELD IT WAS A GOOD CENTRAL MEETING PLACE FOR US AND THE PARK BEHIND MRS BARRATS HOUSE THIS WAS ALSO GOOD FOR GAMES LIKE FOOTBALL AND ROUNDERS AND BUILDING DENS AS SO MUCH GRASS LAND ON HERE.

AND OFF COURSE OUSE DIKE AT THE BOTTOM.

SO WELLCOME AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR YOUR MEMORIES OF NETHERFIELD TO THINK PEOPLE MIGHT BE GETTING A BIT FED UP WITH JUST MINE. BABS

BY THE WAY MY MADEN NAME WAS BARBARA CLEMENTS JUST IN CASE YOU REMEMBER OUR FAMILY

SORRY THE PANES AND THE MILLNERS LIVED CURZON ST NOT DUNSTON ST

BABS

I seem to remember a Sheila Pane did she go to the same school as us Babs? i think she was in my class

HI KAT

JEAN WAS IN MY CLASS A BIT OF A NUTTER SOMETIMES,HER SISTER SHIELA WAS TWO YEARS YOUNGER THAN US JENNY UNDERHILL WHO WAS IN YOUR CLASS MARRIED DAVE PAYNE BUT HE DIED IN HIS LATE 40S.BABS

I remember Jenny she had a brother didnt she ? Kat

YES CAT JENNY BROTHER WAS TERRY THEY LIVED ON NORMAN STBETWEEN DEBIL ST AND GODFREY ST AS FAR AS I KNOW JENNY STILL LIVES ON THIS ST BUT HAVE NOT SEEN HER FOR A FEW YEARS NOW BUT USE TO PLAY IN HER BACK YARD ALOT AS A KID. NOT VERY OFTEN SHE SHE WAS ALLOWED OUT ON THE STREET WITH US BUT I WAS ALLOWED TO GO AND PLAY IN HER YARD OR FRONT ROOM IF IT WAS RAINING. DONT KNOW IF YOU SAW OTHER POST BUT I THINK THE SHIELA YOU WERE THINKING OF WAS SHIELA ROWLY LIVED IN THE SAME AREA AS SHIELA AND JEAN PAYNE. SHIELA ROWLEY WAS ALWAYS BIG FRIENDS WITH OLIVE (POLLY) SMITH I THINK SHE WAS IN YOUR CLASS TOO.

BABS

• 2 years later...

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. Don't have too many memories of my time there other than Ashwell Street Infants, going out of the back garden and over a dyke onto Burton Rd playing fields, waving to the 'steam train' drivers from there! Walking along the dyke with Mum and Dad to the Royal Oak (as was) and sitting outside with a bottle of pop and packet of Smiths crisps with salt in a blue wrapper. Remember going regularly on the train in the guards van to Nottm Midland Station with Mum and baby brother in his big coach-built pram and when we got to the other end we had to go in a cronky lift with a big iron sliding door to get up to street level. Maybe it's still the same, never needed to find out though, haha! I'm on a mission now, to find an old 'News Book' written whilst at Ashwell Street school. I know that various friends are mentioned by name ..... I'll be back!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

my friend lesley denoon used to live that end of dunston st and we only talking about the villa last thursdays she also went to ashwell st school as did i but lesliey was born in 1949 and is 2 years older than me we were talking about shirley isom daughter ofsam who was the local builder who lived on the villas at that time he built a house for them on emeries rd and they moved into that

I remember Shirley Issam, they lived just a couple of doors away, we were friends. I don't remember Lesley even though we are same age. How about Joan Varley? She was a bit older than me but I have a photo of the two of us on Burton Rd playing fields. Also there was a Jennifer Higton, blonde or ginger hair (got photo of her too) happy days but can't remember too much as we moved when I was 8.

• Upvote 1

yes i know the varley family too loppylugs on here is dave higton dont know if he is related to jenifer he was in my sister kaths class at ashwell st.

leslies was tall slim and had ginger hair and two brothers younger than her charlie and fredthey lived with just their mum emily

Did you know the Humphries, lived half way down Dunstan Street on the right? They had a son Ian who was deaf. Our mums were good friends. Years later I went out with John Aslin who lived next door to them. I think my earliest memory is going to the Humphries house to watch the Coronation on a tiny TV that had a big magnifying glass attached to the front!

Hi Babs.

I seem to remember a Jennifer Hickton, notice different spelling of surname. She was not a relative of mine. She may have had a brother I seem to remember an Aleck or Alex Hickton in my early days at Ashwell street. Only other Higton that I know of around our age group was my cousin Tony. He lived in Carlton but attended Chandos school a year or so behind me.

Hope that helps.

LL.

sorry i carnt remember the humpries but john aslin rings a bell only knew a few families on this st mainly the ones who were at shcool with me or my mum knew do remember the sheltons though robert would have been about your age and maralyn brightman whos dad ran the garage and taxi/ wedding car company lived in the corner houseon the little side st at that end of dunston susan brightman too lived somewere dowm that end to. it was only a thought dave as lizzy had spelt it same as your name dave.

This is really a message just for Babs (as she seems to have a terrific memory for old Netherfield folk!)

I've found my old Newsbook from Ashwell Street Infants, it's only 57 years old!!! Some names of friends I played with that are written in there are David West, Malcolm Kennedy and Michael Seeds. And it was Joan VARNEY not Varley. Does anyone remember these people?

as you say my memories of netherfield folk is very good still i loved living in netherfield but i think comming from a big fammily with 2 brothers and 3 sisters they all had there own friends who spent time at our house plus my mum lived in netherfield for almost 50 years so she also knew most of the old familiesfrom the area. i remember malcolm kennedy from dunstan st youth club run by nev barrett and his wife jeaniehe also was very involved with the scouts and still runs calverton scout camp saw him just last summerwhen i whent to a bikers rally down there had a long chat with him and met his second wife jeanie died a few years ago.

• 1 year later...

Lived in netherfield. My grandad. Had railway. Pub for a few yrs. and the shop next to. Chandos st school. My mum had a sweet shop on Victoria. Rd. my dad. Worked for Richard Stewart. Car spraying. We did live at sweet shop for a while and lived on chandos st. No89.

Welcome Wayne,

I didn't come from Netherfield, but spent many nights in my young teens at the youth club and just hanging around, as you do when you are skint! Hope you enjoy Nottstalgia. :)

welcome wayne am i right in thinking your dad is lou dunworth if so i remember him and his motorbikes well i think he sold the one with the big dusbin fearing to paddy who at one time also lived on chandos st. paddy still has the fearing but not the bike have got a photo of paddy on the bike will get someone to post it for me and you can show it to your dad. .if im right andlou is your dad he and your grand parents lived on debil st same st as me when we were kids.

• Upvote 1

bilbro lad a few houses lost in that area in the 1st war and a few in the second war during the raid in the second war netherfield came of very luck as most of the bombs were mistakenly droped higher up the river on mesow lane and carton rdgot the main bombings they were ment to hit netherfield the petrol depots and railway siddings along with the botom end of netherfield thus disrupting fule supplies and the railways to stop food and arms ect getting to lincolnshire and the north

• Upvote 1