I can believe that. There used to be a well known bomb crater in Colwick where the country park now stands. My grandma also got a bomb in her back garden on Muskham Street but it never went off. That was handy as my Mum was in the house at the time - and I wasn't yet born.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also remember Elaine Blood she was in the same year as me at Carlton Girls. My mum who is now 96 was born on Dunstan street in the 1920's I am not sure what number but the surname was Hall my grandf

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. Don't have too many m

This could have been Robinsons nursery that has featured in a previous thread . Used to pass it every day on my way home from school .  

Good afternoon folks,

Came across this forum whilst reminiscing with friends who used to form the community we knew whilst living at Norman Villas at the end of Dunstan street.

I see my dad (Nev Barratt) as also had a mention on this thread :) along with a few of his old mates. Also my dear Mother Jean who sadly passed away some years ago.

I lived there from birth (1966) until about 1976/77 when we moved just round the corner onto Asper Street, i stayed there till i joined up at 16 in 82.

Very fond memories

• Upvote 1

hi nathan it was me who mentioned your dad nev my family the clements family knew your familyvery well in fact your grama barett looked after my grandad hunter at her house for a couple of years before he died as we only lived in a two up two down and mum had 4 children at that time and could not look after him at home as he needed a room of his own and your grama offed to have him in her front room were he stayed untill he went in hospital and died.

saw your dad last year down at the scout camp in calverton.your auntie joan was big friends with my sister pauline and made our bridesmaids dresses when she got married.i have lots of memories of your family and other families who lived in that area we lived off deabil st. but spent a lot of time round that area mumwhould go and visit your grama and we whould play on the reck behind your gramas while they had a cupppa and a chat

I was born in that house, 124 Curzon street. I must get dad to come onto this forum, he would love it. My memories of Netherfield are some of the fondest i have, there never seemed to be any worries (for us kids anyway) and we were always out and about up to mischief.

A few friends of ours that lived at Norman Villas started chatting after i posted a photograph and it lead me to here while i was searching for items.

Good to hear from you :)

Hi Nathan, welcome to Nottstalgia.

I lived a 6 Norman Villas from my birth in 1949 until March 1958. I don't remember any of the neighbours at that time other than a girl my age called Shirley Issam. (Not sure if that's correct spelling)

Nathan, all I remember is that Shirley's Dad (his name might have been Sam) was a builder of some sort. I don't have that many memories of my Netherfield days and was only 8 when we moved to Arnold.

lizzie definitely is sam isom and yes nathan he was a builder and roofer based dunston st near norman villas

• Upvote 1

Thats the man Sam Issom, dad was his apprentice and then went on to work for him for years. He also had a son called Godfrey, their house was the very first one under the railway arch going from chandos street to emerys road, also had the builders/roofers yard at the back.

Many happy days in that yard when dad took me to work with him :)

The Issoms lived in a house on Norman Villas when I was there. At No. 7 were an old couple, Mr and Mrs Pritchett. Mrs Pritchett babysat me occasionally. Then further towards the right hand end lived the Issoms. My parents bought a dining table off them and discovered it was riddled with woodworm!

• Upvote 1

Nice memories for you Nathan. I just got the family album out to see if those telegraph poles are on our pics, and yes they are! If I knew how to post photos on here I would do .......

nice pics of your mum and dad as i remember them in the 60s your sister wendy is very like your mum on the picture with all three of you on nathan

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

jumping in on this topic a few more memories come to mind. We lived at 109 from 1960 to 1968. had four children Susan Steven Susan and Vernon. Mrs Davis lived at 107 Mr&mrs Varney 111 their daughter had a bubble car. Maureen &Trevor Alan 113 moved to Australia. I remember Mr&mrs brightman's garage. Mrs Robson& daughters Linda &Pearl. Mr Scarborough on opposite side who was caretaker at Chandos school.

Mrs Walker ran the corner shop and was then taken over by Kate& Albert Walsh and two daughters Kath & Ann keen forest supporters.

Sam Issom had his roofing firm next to Norman Villas and later moved his firm to Emerys road. Harry and Joan Howse lived in Norman Villas, and harry worked for Sam issom. and so did I for a short while. I remember Ned and shirley Palmer had two children Christine and John lived further up on the opposite side near the park.

• Upvote 1

Karlton, as I've mentioned before, I lived on Norman Villas, No. 6, on the right of the entry, from 1949 til March 1958. I remember the Issoms living there and played with their daughter Shirley. Another friend was Joan VARNEY, slightly older than me and she must have been the girl with the bubble car when you were living down there. I have a photo of Joan and me, but it's glued into a family album. My memories are fairly scant as I was only 8 when we moved to Arnold. Did you know the Humphreys, about half way down the street on the right hand side. They had a daughter Lesley and a son Ian who was deaf. Next door to them were the Aslins who had 2 daughters, Sarah and ?, and a son John who became a professional racing cyclist and who I went out with for quite a while (around 1969-70).

Well done for remembering so many names and house numbers, LOL

lizzieM #53 Thanks for you're interest Lizzie but no I don't remember the humphreys but there was a friend of ours a jean humphreys who married an Attenborough and lived on Belvoir road opposite Chandos gates we also knew her mum and dad who lived futther down chandos st but probably not the same Humphreys you mentioned.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2015 at 9:13 AM, Karlton said:

jumping in on this topic a few more memories come to mind. We lived at 109 from 1960 to 1968. had four children Susan Steven Susan and Vernon. Mrs Davis lived at 107 Mr&mrs Varney 111 their daughter had a bubble car. Maureen &Trevor Alan 113 moved to Australia. I remember Mr&mrs brightman's garage. Mrs Robson& daughters Linda &Pearl. Mr Scarborough on opposite side who was caretaker at Chandos school.

Mrs Walker ran the corner shop and was then taken over by Kate& Albert Walsh and two daughters Kath & Ann keen forest supporters.

Sam Issom had his roofing firm next to Norman Villas and later moved his firm to Emerys road. Harry and Joan Howse lived in Norman Villas, and harry worked for Sam issom. and so did I for a short while. I remember Ned and shirley Palmer had two children Christine and John lived further up on the opposite side near the park.

John palmer. Was he the one that had a black panther and a brown bear 

• 1 month later...

Hi Wayne.  Yes there's still some of us here.  I didn't live on Dunstan Street, but I walked it every day on my way to Chandos school in the fifties. I have a few photo's of Netherfield, Deabill street on here somewhere, but can't remember where.  Just do a search on it.  It should come up.  Failing that Cliff our expert on these matters should be able to dig them out.

I'm still here too. I lived down Dunstan Street for my first 8  years and have posted on this thread.  I've recently made contact with Kate Aslin who lived at 106 Dunstan Street, I went out with her brother John who sadly passed away in 1998. 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Went back to netherfield. Last week and week before  had a drive round. Had chips from mos chip pie. Very nice too. Old place not changed much schools have gone. Mums old shop a chemists. Grandads shop  done next to Chandos st school and the pub he ran in 50/60s is now flats.  See cricket pitch got a new name 

Found old friend on Facebook. Darren Davis. Antony dinsdale. Darren peters.  Cuzson st boys lol 

On 06/04/2014 at 0:36 PM, piggy and babs said:

welcome wayne am i right in thinking your dad is lou dunworth if so i remember him and his motorbikes well i think he sold the one with the big dusbin fearing to paddy who at one time also lived on chandos st. paddy still has the fearing but not the bike have got a photo of paddy on the bike will get someone to post it for me and you can show it to your dad. .if im right andlou is your dad he and your grand parents lived on debil st same st as me when we were kids.

Would paddy sell it back to my dad 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...