Could be another family but an

E.Mann was selling a Willys Overland car 1921 model at 5 Dunstan Street in 1924 . Advert in Evening Post 05/05/1924. Not bad for £55 ! 

Maybe similar to this ?

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1921-willys-overland-touring-1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also remember Elaine Blood she was in the same year as me at Carlton Girls. My mum who is now 96 was born on Dunstan street in the 1920's I am not sure what number but the surname was Hall my grandf

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. Don't have too many m

This could have been Robinsons nursery that has featured in a previous thread . Used to pass it every day on my way home from school .  

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2012 at 9:56 PM, LizzieM said:

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. 

Someone has recently posted photos of that demolition on the Gedling FB page.  There's half a dozen to click through.   

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=762767840914413&set=pcb.2596157270708456&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I’ve had a look CT but can only get one picture with the link.  All I can see is a pic of an advertising board for a new Halfords superstore.  Suppose if I join the Gedling FB group I might see more. 

EDIT.   Just looked at the photos thanks Cliff.  Looks like our house was already a pile of rubble because that stream was actually at the bottom of our garden.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:57 PM, Ooworreewi said:

My great grandad, Mattie Mann, lived on Dunstan Street. Which address, I don't know. He was a coal merchant who invited the local menfolk to joinn him in his front parlour to practice singing . Thus was born, in 1908, the Carlton & District Male Voice Choir.

Hi mate, Mattie Mann is also my relative (hence the name) ☺️ Small world!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I am researching my fiancees family history and the Dring and Wilson households that according to the 1901 Census lived on Dunstan Street. The Drings lived at No.3 Dunstan Street and the Wilsons at what looks like (can't read census handwriting very well) number 13 Wainsmans Terrace which is listed as Dunstan Street. There are several addresses at Wainsmans Terrace and appear to be the first building on Dunstan Street and is listed before number 3 Dunstan Street. There is no number 1 Dunstan Street on any census records I think.

I have looked at various online maps from around 1900 and I cannot see a Wainsmans Terrace. Does anyone know of this address and where on Dunstan Street it was?

These days there isn't a number 1 Dunstan Street and I can only imagine that Wainsmans Terrace might have existed where there is now a derelict building sandwiched between number 3 Dunstan Streeet and Hawks Cycles on the corner of Dunstan Street and Victoris Street. Or maybe what is now Hawks Cycles might have been Wainsmans Terrace?

However a lady on the Gedling Village Preservation Society Facebook group reckons there was a Coal merchants here but I am not sure what time period she is alluding too.

Both the Drings at number 3 and the Wilsons at Wainsmans Terrace had moved away by the 1911 Census.

The above is of particular interest as the Wilsons are relatives of my fiancees mother and the Drings are distant relatives of my fiancees father. No family members that I have spoken to are aware of the coincidence that these two families were once neighbours!

I am pretty sure this branch of the Dring family moved to Beck Street and vicinity near Carlton Square some time after 1901.

I am aware from the 1939 Register that there is a Dring household at 48 Dunstan Street but I am not yet sure if they are related to my 1901 Drings yet.

Any knowledge you have of Wainsmans Terrace or the above families would be much appreciated.

thanks. 

Welcome to Nottstalgia TSB.

I see what you mean about Wainsmans Terrace not appearing on any maps. One possible explanation is that it was a row/terrace of houses along a stretch of the street. Terraces are often a sub-division of the road they inhabit.

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you haven't seen this before scroll down to photo No 5. It shows Dunstan St in the 1970s with features no longer there (including what might be a coal yard).     https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/gallery/32-pictures-netherfield-over-last-2748537

And going back to maps... this - which you've probably seen - from the early 1900s shows a selection of features around the relevant area. There's the entrance to a yard (level with the arrow head); then an alleyway through to an enclosed courtyard (could that be W Terrace ?); and then a big yard with buildings around the edge.

v7bw4D6.jpg

There's an advert in 1901 for an auction of Wainman's Terrace , Dunstan St. consisting of 14 properties all rented to "good" tenants .

WAINMAN’S TERRACE. DUNSTAN STREET, N ETHERFIELD, NOTTS.  SOLD BY AUCTION, by Mr. THOMAS WARWICK, his Auction Mart, Market street and Norfolk-place, Nottingham, WEDNESDAY, the 17th Day July, 1901, at Four o’clock precisely ......14 dwelling houses known as Wainman's Terrace .....
03 July 1901 - Nottingham Journal - Nottingham,

Is this who you are looking for?

Dring family:- Emily Dring 47 widow born Sutton Cambridgeshire.

Husband Clark Dring died 1897 aged 53.

Harry 19 married to Polly 19 ( born Alford Lincolnshire )

.                                Kate 17, Charles 14, Frederick 11, Horace 7, Walter 4.

All living Wainmans Terrace 1901 census.

1911 census has them at 19 Main Road, Carlton.

She's now Emily Clayton widow.

Living with her are Charles 23, Horace 17, Walter 14

Walter married Lillian Ada Wealthall 1914.

He died 9-4-1917 age 21 private 26862 Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn  his widow was living at 65 Foxhill Road.

This information comes from a World War 1 casualties site.

https://u3asites.org.uk

.               In the 1950's 1960's a coal man named  Dring operated in and around Netherfield.

Emily remarried in 1902 but he didn't make the 1911 census.

• Like 1

If you look at Ciff Ton's map, you will see 14 dwellings on the opposite side of the road at 90 degrees to Dunstan Street.

Think this is what you are looking for.

Seem to remember there was no road only a path leading to their fronts. Have this vague recollection of them.

However, I am going from memory, which can sometimes lead to a bum steer.

It wasn't unusual for a census to record a side road before recording the main one.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

If you look at Ciff Ton's map, you will see 14 dwellings on the opposite side of the road at 90 degrees to Dunstan Street.

Think this is what you are looking for 

I wondered about that as well, but on a map for the early 1950s they are definitely marked as Devonshire Cottages.

Maybe a name change, or an alternative name, or some other explanation ??

14 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

Quietly confident I,m right, after some more thought.

Looking at Google (oh dear) life moves on!

Where's Loppy when you need him?

Woof woof!   Did somebody call?

Don't know a lot about Dunstan street, but I did used to walk up it on my way to school every day.  I remember an open area about half way along.  Parents told me it was hit by a German bomb in the first WW.  Not sure how true that may have been.  Wonder if that's where the missing terrace may have been?

There was a Michael Dring back then, same age as me. We weren't close friends, but I knew him.  They lived on Godfrey street, Netherfield. A mile or so away.

Hope that helps a bit.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:18 PM, DAVIDW said:

There's an advert in 1901 for an auction of Wainman's Terrace , Dunstan St. consisting of 14 properties all rented to "good" tenants .

WAINMAN’S TERRACE. DUNSTAN STREET, N ETHERFIELD, NOTTS.  SOLD BY AUCTION, by Mr. THOMAS WARWICK, his Auction Mart, Market street and Norfolk-place, Nottingham, WEDNESDAY, the 17th Day July, 1901, at Four o’clock precisely ......14 dwelling houses known as Wainman's Terrace .....
03 July 1901 - Nottingham Journal - Nottingham,

Thanks DavidW. I think I came across that on the BritishNewspapers website but the text was all garbled but could see what the text was alluding to. Its good to see confirmation of 14 dwellings as you can see about that many on the 1901 Census. Incidentally I think the 1901 Census was done in March and then come July the properties were up for auction. Maybe all residents were told to clear off. Maybe it was renamed or demolished after that point. There is no mention of Wainmans Terrace in the 1911 census or the 1939 register. 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, Dark Angel said:

Is this who you are looking for?

Dring family:- Emily Dring 47 widow born Sutton Cambridgeshire.

Husband Clark Dring died 1897 aged 53.

Harry 19 married to Polly 19 ( born Alford Lincolnshire )

.                                Kate 17, Charles 14, Frederick 11, Horace 7, Walter 4.

All living Wainmans Terrace 1901 census.

1911 census has them at 19 Main Road, Carlton.

She's now Emily Clayton widow.

Living with her are Charles 23, Horace 17, Walter 14

Walter married Lillian Ada Wealthall 1914.

He died 9-4-1917 age 21 private 26862 Wiltshire Regiment 2nd Bn  his widow was living at 65 Foxhill Road.  

Dark Angel, that is indeed the correct Dring family. Harry and Pollys daughter-in-law was the sister of my fiancees grandmother.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:28 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I wondered about that as well, but on a map for the early 1950s they are definitely marked as Devonshire Cottages.

Maybe a name change, or an alternative name, or some other explanation ??

CliffTon, Devonshire cottages are on the 1939 register.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, loppylugs said:

Woof woof!   Did somebody call?

Don't know a lot about Dunstan street, but I did used to walk up it on my way to school every day.  I remember an open area about half way along.  Parents told me it was hit by a German bomb in the first WW.  Not sure how true that may have been.  Wonder if that's where the missing terrace may have been?

There was a Michael Dring back then, same age as me. We weren't close friends, but I knew him.  They lived on Godfrey street, Netherfield. A mile or so away.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for your comments loopylugs. You mention a WW1 bomb and I recall reading about that elsewhere so checked around on the internet a bit this afternoon. It turns out in 1916 a Zeppelin dropped bombs all along the railway between Newark and central Nottingham. All of Nottingham sounded the air raid sirens and nearly everyone correctly ensured there was a blackout. The exception being Midland Railway, who kept all their lighting on. A fatal mistake. One of the many bombs that hit the area was one on the corner of Dunstan Street and Cross Street. Six homes were damaged or destroyed and 3 people died. More destruction and death occurred elsewhere in the city. Those 6 homes were never rebuilt and until recently it was a kids play park but 6 new homes have been built there in last few years. Only took a 100+ years for the homes to be replaced!

One of a few sources I found is here:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/204606-zeppelin-raids-on-nottinghamshire/page/2/

We know a Michael (Mick) Dring. Born 1944. He is related to the Drings of Dunstan Street in 1901. Not sure if he is the one you knew from your youth. I have no record of him living on Godfrey St (will ask him next time I see him). On the 1939 register (he was born 5 years later) his parents were not living on Godfrey St but doesnt mean they were not 5 years later.

Thanks TSB  interesting info.

Yes, that open area was a playground for a while.

I'm almost certain the Michael Dring you know is the same one.  I too was born in 1944 so we are very close in age.  The time I knew him on Godfrey street would be the early fifties.  My grandma lived a few doors down from them on the opposite side of the street.  A couple of newer houses built in the 30s.  Next to Wilkinsons bakery.

From what I can ascertain they lived at 3 Wainmans Terrace.

They could have moved when she remarried in 1902.

It was Wainmans Terrace in 1902 as a property was advertised at 3 shillings 9 pence rental. (More expensive than Carlton)

.         John Woolston Dring, an older sibling was a coalman.

The area you thought may have been the location isn't big enough, it's the back area to the shops that were there before Graham Read took over the entire row. 

When Cliff Ton mentioned Devonshire Cottages, that lit a light bulb.

There was a coalman named Dring in the 50's/60's. Had a green Bedford flat bed if my memory is intact.

The report about the auction of Wainman Terrace in 1901 throws up a query. Was it actually on Dunstan Street, or just nearby ?

Dunstan Street didn't exist at all until the 1880s, and there's no housing indicated until 1890-ish. If Wainman Terrace was being demolished around 1910 - and was actually on Dunstan Street - it would've had a life of no more than around 20 years.

Cliff Ton:-  Wainmans Terrace/Devonshire Cottages are the same buildings. They pre-date Dunstan Street slightly.

TSB has given me an itch I can't scratch. Who was Wainman and why were they built in that position

.                        Netherfield was built piecemeal by various builders as bits of land were sold.  (Won't go into an essay on this subject)

.                       Will try and come back later, seem to be having a few issues at the moment.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The report about the auction of Wainman Terrace in 1901 throws up a query. Was it actually on Dunstan Street, or just nearby ?

Dunstan Street didn't exist at all until the 1880s, and there's no housing indicated until 1890-ish. If Wainman Terrace was being demolished around 1910 - and was actually on Dunstan Street - it would've had a life of no more than around 20 years.

Good point Cliff Ton I will bear that in mind. I have been looking at the census records several pages either side of Dunstan Street  for 1901 and 1911 and Wainmans Terrace isn't on 1911 census. My current favoured theory is that it gets renamed/rebuilt as Devonshire Cottages. 

I have noted from google street view images that the building on the corner of Dunstan Street and Victoria Steet (currently Nevs off license) has a date of 1886 adorned on it.

https://goo.gl/maps/LUkqLHtHNdi42Gbz5

Looking at OS maps from circa 1900, it certainly seems this end of Dunstan Street is already built but the other end is not yet built or under construction.