8 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

Bit late returning, not only name changes but also number changes as in Victoria Road. Originally even numbered on the left travelling from the railway crossing.

The map I referred to previously was actually in an early twentieth century book I used to own, but can no longer find. Have a feeling someone borrowed it. Thinking about it, it is possible that the author could have altered a map to indicate his perception of early Netherfield and how it could have looked. Squares and roads were marked up which didn't come to fruition. Was he looking at official documents or summising?

It appears that previous Netherfield posters are on Radford Reds list of missing in action.

DavidW:- there is an H Parrott recorded as a church warden at St Georges Netherfield. ( apologies if I have mistaken the person asking the question.) prior to WW1.

Have a map showing the buildings I previously referred to, it shows Manvers Street school built 1881. Not Staffords built 1883. Does not show Dunstan Street at all. Not even marked out.

The houses built as Wainmans Terrace could be seen all around Nottingham and districts. ( some can be seen on Radford Reds map of Hyson Green.)

coal merchants:- Mathew Mann 3 Dunstan Street & George Woolley 6 Dunstan Street were operating just before WW1.

also active at the same time:- Alfred Bryan 33 Chandos Street, John Trueman 63 Godfrey Street, Frederick Wallis 7 Kendrick Street.  Think Netherfield Co Op also had a coal operation at this time.

CliffTon:- if someone wishes to view the map, would you be able to put it on here. I don't think it will happen as it looks as if this thread has run its course.

Dark Angel, what did you mean by this comment - "The houses built as Wainmans Terrace could be seen all around Nottingham and districts"?

How do you know this?

Where did you get the info about Coal Merchants?

Your mention of Matthew Mann at 3 Dunstan Street particularly made me thing about that address.

Before now I had read/interpreted the 1901 Census for the Drings as living at 3 Dunstan Street and the Wilsons at 13 Wainsman Terrace. Just this now I have re-visited the census images for the few pages for Dunstan Street and I can now see that Matthew Mann is indeed at 3 Dunstan Street. 

In actual fact the Drings are at 3 Wainmans Terrace. For some reason I didn't interpret it this way until now.

I would still love to see a map or something confirming Wainmans Terrace was where we believe it to have existed.

I am still waiting to chat to a Mr Dring (Harry Dring born 1882 is his grandfather)  who is a relative who grew up in the area in the late 1940s and 1950s and look forward to asking him if he has any knowledge of topics discussed these last 2 or 3 pages on this thread.

Once I have had the chance to speak to him I will post a new message if he has anything interesting to add t

As I was typing this I just noticed something else on the 1901 Census. The Mardell's at 5 Wainmans Terrace are also relatives!!!!!

Charles and Emma Mardell are the parents of Beatrice Wilson (nee Mardell) who lives at 13 Wainmans Terrace with her husband William Wilson and children.

• Like 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also remember Elaine Blood she was in the same year as me at Carlton Girls. My mum who is now 96 was born on Dunstan street in the 1920's I am not sure what number but the surname was Hall my grandf

I lived at the bottom of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas from 1949 til 58 then we moved to Arnold. That row of houses was demolished to make way for the Link Road many years ago. Don't have too many m

This could have been Robinsons nursery that has featured in a previous thread . Used to pass it every day on my way home from school .  

I could have worded the information about houses like Wainmans Terrace being built all around Nottingham a lot better. Apologies. It happens when you try to relay to much information in one post. What I was referring to was the propensity at this time to build rows of houses at right angles to the main thorough fare. Only a central walkway, with paths leading off to the individual front doors.

This only happened on this one occasion in Netherfield. Some could argue Kozi Kots are built like this. However, Kozi Kots were built in line with Meadow Cottages and have gardens.

I can't find another example in Netherfield. The town was built piece meal and not in any logical pattern apart from most of the roads leading from Victoria Road following field boundaries.

Initially, when the railways arrived, they looked towards purchasing land and building houses for their workers. This didn't happen because there were too many landowners, land agents and solicitors to deal with, the transactions became messy. One land owner would be happy to sell, another wouldn't sell and another would bump the price up. The railways stood back and basically let whom so ever wanted to, build as and when. It could also be said that the railway companies were themselves getting tight for money.

This could explain various plans for building and I'm not convinced the council were particularly quick in dealing with certain aspects of these properties being built at the time.

After the cholera epidemics in Nottingham, it had been decided that something serious had to happen with the management of sewage.

Carlton had been included in this plan, but Netherfield wasn't. The council weren't particularly quick in sorting this anomaly out.

They should have insisted all housing be built with proper amenities.  

Have now wandered away from the original query.

Returning to Wainmans Terrace, I can't find any mention of it after 1905. Houses were still being advertised for rental in this year.

Neither can I find any mention of Devonshire Cottages at this time. (Could they have had another name in the interim.)

.  We know  Devonshire  Cottages existed, Cliff Ton has a map with this name recorded and a previous poster had lived there.

Colloquially, they were referred to as Sparrow Barracks. 

It is quite possible that other houses conforming to this pattern were in line to be built. The land at the rear of the labour exchange was originally intended to be built on, but wasn't.

Where the church was built (Dennis Street/Victoria Road). Two square areas had been marked out. The middle one became the Co Op garage and the rear one became a compound for the garage.

TBI:- you may be close to the truth about the origin of the naming. Have done a bit of rummaging and it turns out that people like the Tippler brothers, whilst being recorded as carriers with a regular service between Carlton Station and Nottingham, were also hay dealers and carriers. A few others involved in coal and other transport were also hay dealers and carriers.

Hay wains were strong four wheelers, makes sense to utilise them in other ways. Coal and other minerals would be arriving daily. People were burning coal in all these new houses, would have to be transported. Hay wagons initially would have been a logical solution.

Would explain why a lot of coal dealers were also hay dealers.

This is only supposition on my part, as I haven't as yet found any evidence.

• Like 2

Please keep it coming DA,  I'm learning from it.  I was sent to Sunday school at the Methodist church at Dennis street and Victoria rd.  It may be where I got my first liking for the organ.  Thay had a nice pipe organ.     Even at that young age I remember wondering why there was nothing on the land next door.

Thanks Loppy, been sliding down a few dead ends attempting to find how they came to be built and why they don't seem to appear on any map. ( not helped with libraries being closed.)

A slight deviation here, 5 newly erected houses for sale in John Street, Netherfield. February 1907. This seems to date John Street but doesn't aid the query in hand. It also possibly indicates a variation in the road layout we see today. For those thinking I am smoking a funny cigarette, John Street became Dunstan Street.

Another slight wobble:- assuming the house numbers remained the same when Wainmans Terrace changed name to Devonshire Cottages; in 1930, a miner living at No 3 was severely injured in a roof fall.

Returning to TSB's second query, Matthew Mann and John Woolley were both on Dunstan Street in 1894. John Trueman was also the sanitary inspector and was still carrying out these duties in 1911. He was also a cottager. Thomas Musson was also a cottager, cow keeper, hay and straw dealer as well as coalman, he was Station Road, as was William Gell and Matthew Tilley( Urban / Station Road.)

The Midland Rly had a coal wharf adjacent to Wright Street and the G N R's was situated on a road to the left just before Netherfield Lane crossing. I can't remember whether the LNWR had their own coal wharf, or used the GN's. Having a foggy moment here.

Cliff Ton:- if you have access to 

Only half of what I have written has been posted! 

I can't find the missing section, any ideas or has it disappeared into the ether?

Cliff Ton :- if you have access to picture the past, there is a photograph of Netherfield Lane signal box and railway house, beyond the signal box can be seen the roof and rear wall of the co op garage. Is it possible to post it on here?

The rest of my post will have to be rewritten another day.

Anyone out there have problems posting?

DA....It is a possibility that you lost some of your post because the system may have logged you out.  It seems to me like when you are in the text editor the system sees no activity and thinks you've gone.  I've had it happen to me a time or two.  Sometimes I find it better to use a separate text editor then copy and paste it into the NS text editor when you are ready.  Just a thought.

Thanks for your comments Loppy. Will see what developes. Have had a few issues.

Could do with a little help from a genealogist as I seem to be floundering. Have found a person of interest in John Wainman.

This gentleman died in 1912 leaving a substantial sum in his will. His address being given as 18 Mapperly Road. Unless he moved home late in life, the number may be a misprint. Born in 1832, he was recorded as living in St Mary's area of Nottingham in 1881.His grandfather (born Doncaster), father (born 1802) and son were also named John. His son was born in 1894 meaning he was a bit long in the tooth when he had him. He appears to have had two marriages.

In 1894, 1898 he was living at 8 Mapperley Road. A neighbour at 7 Mapperley Road being Watson Fothergill.

The family seem to have many links to St Mary's area. Unable to locate him running a business, this could be that his company name didn't carry his name. There was a Wainman's Yard somewhere in Nottingham, probably St Mary's, but am unable to locate it on any map. Not unusual as there were a lot of 'yards' in Nottingham not recorded on maps. 

Have found a reference to a Councillor Wainman, is this him?

John had two brothers, one William was a beer seller and shopkeeper at 39 Mount Street and also owned a printers at Rigleys Yard Long Row.

Am interested in the period 1879 - 1899. Was he involved in land, building, owning properties in Netherfield within these dates?

In 1879 a J Wainman purchased some houses in Sneinton at auction.

In 1889 a J Wainman was involved in houses in Manvers Street. ( this could either be Sneinton or Netherfield as both had references to being in Colwick.)

In 1886 a J Wainman was involved in the purchase or sale of a 7 horse power engine and boiler in connection with the LNWR taking premises. ( this again could refer to Sneinton or Colwick).

Could any of these transactions have been carried out by John Wainman?

It may be worth noting that John's other brother was named James.

Any information would be helpful, although it wasn't me who asked the question in the first instance.

Am currently not on any ancestry site.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

There was a Wainman's Yard somewhere in Nottingham, probably St Mary's, but am unable to locate it on any map. Not unusual as there were a lot of 'yards' in Nottingham not recorded on maps.

Wainman's Yard was at the bottom end of Woolpack Lane, and is now buried under the Arena - although a large part of Woolpack Lane survives.

Woolpack Lane is close to the locations you've mentioned here, which may or may not be connected.

10 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

In 1879 a J Wainman purchased some houses in Sneinton at auction.

In 1889 a J Wainman was involved in houses in Manvers Street. ( this could either be Sneinton or Netherfield as both had references to being in Colwick.)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi ... sorry very new to this so please bear with me.

I notice there is alot of discussion about No 3 Dunstan street.  The elderdly lady (Yvonne) who was born in the house 83 years ago only moved out last week to a bungalow round the corner.  If you would like me to ask her any questions I'm happy to pop round for a chat. 

• Like 1

It seems you may be able to help with a number of queries which were raised in this thread. However, several of the people who posted haven't been here for a while so they may not immediately see your comment - although they may come back at some point.

Try to remember to drop in from time to time to see if anyone has resurfaced who would be interested in your information.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I also remember Elaine Blood she was in the same year as me at Carlton Girls. My mum who is now 96 was born on Dunstan street in the 1920's I am not sure what number but the surname was Hall my grandfather was a train guard and I remember being on the cricket field when the trains went into colwick and standing on the bridge when the steam trains went underneath. 

My father's family lived on station road and had a coal merchants. Also my aunt and uncle had a bakery on station road next to the church it was pulled down when Carlton Square was built and a pizza shop now stands on the site. Such a shame when the post office and mossops chemist were pulled down

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Tigerlily said:

My father's family lived on station road and had a coal merchants. 

Look at photo No 15 in this link (and look at all the others as well). It's Station Road, Carlton/Netherfield,  and in the distance above the horse & cart, there's a wall sign for a coal merchants...which may be your father's business ?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/30-pictures-looking-back-life-2694281

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

a 'Nursery' marked at the location at the top of Cavendish Road where it joins Westdale Lane. There's a path named Westdale Gardens which might be a remnant of the nursery.   

This could have been Robinsons nursery that has featured in a previous thread . Used to pass it every day on my way home from school .

• Like 2