Back to reality with that last post? re that photo of the Grantham canal exit etc in my boat owning period late 1970's/mid1980's (5 in all, all crap cept one!) I contacted British Waterways re renting the then derelict lock basin etc as moorings, were quite helpful but couldn't comply, maybe as well, had vision of doing it all up then the vandals getting in, they did offer me the "Boot's Branch" or what was left of such on the bend at London Rd where High Level station was but never took offer up.

On one of the photos can be seen the named "Boulevard" walk from Trent Bridge to Meadow Lane, I remember such, believe it or not being took there in a pushchair one bank holiday as a "outing" on one of rare occasions my mam and dad out together! (another story) As I recall the walk well maintained and gas lit, but overwhelming impression was an awful smell! was told "the glue factory" wheres they melted down horses!

I got to thinking whilst I was away , isn't there a pub called "The Three Bridges" in the Meadows??!!

Thinking about it it was more likely to commemorate the three in this topic, as the others were a bit further afield IE Lady bay, Ha penny, suspension and railway!

Or perhaps rename the Ponderosa to "The Six Bridges"

Clifton Bridge, Railway Bridge, Suspension Bridge, Original Trent Bridge, Trent Bridge, Horse Bridge, and Lady Bay Bridge?

You missed the Ha Penny bridge Mick!!

They must have prejudged you too as, believe it or not (I went past it yesterday,) it's now called "The Clifton Bridge Inn" !!!!! Or was it always called that (I thought it was The Silverdale)

4945181653_42448f42d5_b.jpg

You're quite right Ian, Ponderosa because of the size of the car park, the name Silverdale was the estate that the pub backs onto but we always knew it as the Wimpey estate after the company who built it although the folk who lived there who thought they were a bit too posh to live on an estate always said their address was South Wilford Notts

Rog

• 7 years later...

I am new to this site, today actually, I am looking for a picture of the short lived Navigation Horse bridge just below Trent Bridge Nottingham.

This bridge was built, I understand by The Trent Navigation Company, following long disputes with the Trent Bridge Toll organisation.

Their toll house was on the, now, London Road near the old Meadow Lane canal bridge, The horses would pull the narrow boats or barges from Nottingham to Trent Lock, now Meadow Lane Lock, for onward voyage down the river or onto the Grantham Canal. But instead of returning to pay the bridge toll would go up river along the bank and cross Trent Bridge avoiding the toll. The towing path was on the south side of the river. to solve the dispute the Navigation Bridge was built. It was a wooden structure with stone abbutments on both banks and was washed away in a flood after a short life.

I have seen a couple of sketches of it, one showing both the Old & New ( in construction ) Trent Bridges with the Navigation Bridge behind. As the new bridge was toll free I assume that there was no need to replace the fallen structure as the toll problem was negated.

As an aside, when the trent as a navigation was being improved in the 1920's "great timbers were found"  and recorded as "being of Roman origin", as was a comon assumption cf the "roman" bridgs below Cromwell Lock! They were offered for sale but no takers. they wer then burried behind the retaining walls of the Trent Basin, now being redeveloped, at the river end of Trent Lane.

Excuse the ramblings of an old Meadows Lad, but the Nottingham side abuttment is still there, once used as a mooring for the River Police Boat, and now as access to moorings west of Meadow lane lock. the south abuttment site is visible as a slight change in slope of the river bank, as earlier posts state, near Forest ground.

I still would like to see a picture!

• Like 2

Welcome Lockie.

I'm assuming you've read this thread from the beginning. You may have noticed that there used to be quite a few photos showing the bridge you refer to, but they have now gone. This is a result of the Photobucket ransomware which appeared last year. Over the next few days I'll try and fill some of the gaps with real photos again.  Keep watching.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Cliff Ton, and good??? to have you in 'our' Constituency!

Yes I noticed that the older photos' had been 'archived' but as a 'fresher' knew not why, and still don't understand why anyone would want yo hide a few pics.

Is it just this topic, or others on this site?

Looking forward to your assistance.

Many Thanks Poohbear, as you say, taken from the west, from the south bank, St Stephens Snienton tower above the first river pier from Nottingham side. the abuttment below the house?? is still mainly intact, as I mentioned earlier. 

On 8/24/2010 at 10:59 AM, Ashley said:

On one of the photos can be seen the named "Boulevard" walk from Trent Bridge to Meadow Lane, I remember such, believe it or not being took there in a pushchair one bank holiday as a "outing" on one of rare occasions my mam and dad out together! (another story) As I recall the walk well maintained and gas lit, but overwhelming impression was an awful smell! was told "the glue factory" wheres they melted down horses!

I would think that this was more likely to be the tanning factory on London road near to Trent bridge.

Digging around on PTP has produced these two photos, one of which seems to be the same as posted by poohbear.

PciaXOF.jpg

MK3m4Dc.jpg

And this is a drawing of the bridge by Thomas Hammond (but looks as good as a photo).

joK5t4d.jpg

PTP give this information about the structure :-   The bridge was erected c1842 by Trent Navigation Company and stretched from the mouth of the Nottingham canal to the West Bridgford bank of the River Trent. It was used by the horses hauling boats from the Nottingham canal, across the River Trent to the Grantham canal. It was severely damaged in the October 1875 floods and demolished.