Ladybay bridge is quite a distance from Trent Bridge as this modern shot shows...

pplssr.jpg

Here's the photograph of the old Trent Bridge still standing alongside the newly built one in the 1870s...

Nottm20-2-Bridges-1871.jpg

This 1871 photograph shows the old bridge in the far distance still standing alongside the recently built Trent Bridge.It also shows a third bridge in the foreground and states the fact on the photo.It's far too close to be Lady Bay,and it's a new one on me...anyone know any more about this?

Nottm21-3-Bridges-1871.jpg

This was a narrow bridge used by horses to pull the canal boats from Grantham canal across the river to the canal that runs alongside London road. Think you can still see part of it on the first photo, on the north bank.

talking of canals etc since it was done it has amazed me how (far as I know) the River Leen diverted in the old Nottingham Canal now goes under the Beeston Canal esp when the river is in a flood after a storm etc

Then this would have ended up where the Forest Ground is now?

Would there have been a road leading south from there before the Forest Ground was built?

No road...If it was for barge horses to cross from one side of the river to the other it would follow the line of red dots I've put on this 1880s map (Bridge already gone) the path would lead from the Grantham Canal near Abbey Bridge...along the Trent and linking by the bridge to the London Road section of the canal into the town.At least that's how I see it.

gfgfgf.jpg

As I said Cliff Ton...it's a new one on me...that picture I found states 3 bridges and shows some brickwork in the foreground...the rest of my stuff is surmising.denshaw mentions the use by canal horses ...we'll have to ask him his source of information.It sounds about right but I've not heard of it myself.But this photo certainly raises questions.

Nottm21-3-Bridges-1871.jpg

That would put the bridge approximately here...just to the right of the victorian house and next to the locks.

Or is it the structure immediately upstream of the drain outlet? (green arrow)

It may have been a short-lived structure as it would not have been helpful to the Trent being navigated by larger vessels. This may be why the new Trent Bridge had larger spans.

z.jpg

Or is it the structure immediately upstream of the drain outlet? (green arrow) Quite possible

It may have been a short-lived structure as it would not have been helpful to the Trent being navigated by larger vessels. This may be why the new Trent Bridge had larger spans.

As you say maybe a short lived structure...Trent Bridge was a notorious bottleneck,and I've read that the Beeston canal junction was popular to avoid the shallows at Clifton Grove and Trent Bridge.I suppose at the time of the new bridge construction with the old bridge in place,river traffic must almost have been brought to a standstill.

I think I might've solved it :rolleyes:

'Picture the Past" have come to the rescue again.

Take a look at this

Bridge.jpg

It's a pencil drawing by Nottingham-born artist Thomas Hammond, dated 1872 and 'Picture the Past' caption says There was an old horse bridge across the Trent just about where the Grantham canal enters it, but this was washed away by a flood in 1875 and its debris was removed.

What would the bloke to the left be leaning on, looks like some sort of lock gates (Although there ain't a canal there!!!

But there is at least one set of lock gates visible in the modern-day pic, seen in #12...

Therefore likely that they were also there in much earlier times?

Cheers

Robt P.

But that old picture is on the south side of the river. Those modern locks are on the north side

Yes, Ian...see what you mean...I think :blush:

Throughout the thread I've been rather thrown (easily done) by the large river-side building, featured in the pictures... confusing it with the old Town Arms on the north bank or the site of the eventual Bridgford Hotel on the opposite side!

In Paul's OP, I thought it was the latter...

Cheers

Robt P.

There is still a lock on the south side, and it is about exactly where the man is standing on the old photo.

I've grabbed these two off a website which shows the still-existing entrance/exit of the canal to the Trent on the south side

Hi Cliff Ton,

I do not think the guy in the image is leaning on a lock gate, it appears to be a safety rail for a mooring.

The original 3 bridges image was taken from the south bank adjacent to the City Ground looking towards Trent Bridge. This is a good 200 yards to the west of the Grantham Canal.

If the horse bridge was washed away in 1885 I wonder if it had become more vaunrable following the demolition of the old Trent Bridge which, with its small arches, must have affected/impeded the flow of the Trent. The new Trent Bridge would not have interfered so much with the water flow.

There is still a lock on the south side, and it is about exactly where the man is standing on the old photo.

I am now going to argue with myself and say that looking at it again, I don't think the man on the early photo is near the lock on the south side. As mentioned by others, he is closer towards Trent Bridge

Whatever the exact details I now know there was another bridge over the Trent that I'd never heard of before.Would make a good question in a local pub quiz.:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should claim credit for 'rediscovering it', call it 'Poohbear Bridge'?

Ya know, I can remember when this was a loverly thread.

"What a loverly Thread", I said to myself

One of the best ever on Nottstalgia I was thinking to myself?

Present day locks of the Grantham Canal where they meet the Trent...

NW00190.jpg

Picture of the 1875 floods...haven't worked out where the camera angle is from yet...

great-flood-1875.jpg

Written comment on the old horse bridge lost to the flood...

cccchhh.jpg

Picture of the 1875 floods...haven't worked out where the camera angle is from yet...

Mid image running left to right is a railway line and goods wagons. I suggest the image is from Castle Rock looking south over firstly the flooded Leen and after the railway it is the flooded Kings Meadow.

By the side of the Trent Bridge there are flood height markers.