How many remember the old Hanley Street bus terminus? Used to come shopping with Mum in the fifties,often to the big Co-op because that was near the terminus.

Numbers 7...1...22...I never did know where they finished up the other end as we got off at the Aspley Cinema (Later the Commodore) on Nuthall Road.

The final destinations of these buses was a mystery to me as a kid as they were outside my 'play' area.And the Blue buses that travelled Nuthall Road may as well have been off another planet...never ever got on one.

What made the powers that be pick Hanley Street as a terminus ...Lord knows.It's a heck of a hill,and I remember the drivers lifting a huge wooden chock from out of their cab to stick under the front wheel.

I remember seeing stacks of old ovens in the yard of an Electric Depot that was alongside.(Still there, but covered over) I believe there were Almshouses on the other side,now gone.All overlooked by the old Lamberts building on Talbot Street.

NTGM000581.jpg

jjfss.jpg

I remember it when I was a kid in the 60s, although I don't think I was aware of exactly where I was in town. It was only an occasional visit because we'd be there if we came back from my grandma's in Radford; don't remember what the bus number was, but it came up Alfreton Road to Canning Circus then down Wollaton Street. (Obviously in those days Wollaton Street, Parliament Street, Derby Road etc were all two-way traffic)

I definitely remember the fact that it was on a steep slope, and the 'block of cheese' which the drivers put under the wheel of the bus (would it really have stopped a bus if it had started to roll?)

And I'm not sure if Hanley Street was just a "setting down" point, because I don't remember us getting a bus to go from there

I've just had a look at the bus routes map which I put on this site a few weeks ago and Hanley Street isn't marked or mentioned at all. So when did it start to be used for buses?

Remember it well PB.

When I first started working for the Electricity Board or EMEB. (Eat more eggs and bacon) as it was affectionately known. We were based out of the Talbot Street office. Had to back the van in there each night after coming in from service calls. Not always an easy task.

Sure looks different now.

However it was really handy for the 22 out to Stockhill Lane where I lived at the time. Not sure where the 22 went to as I got off at Stockhill and it went on from there.

There was big pile of stove parts there as I remember. Alongside of that office was a large garage area where the vans were maintained.

Later the EMEB moved to Bilboro and I got myself an old banger and used to drive there.

Easy to drive downtown then. Few one way streets as I remember. Out onto Parliament street and away to the coffee shop! !rotfl! Happy Days!

Probably would have stopped it from setting off had the brakes failed.

Better though would be to turn the front wheels into the curb, like we had to by law on the steep streets of San Francisco. Failure to do it ends up with being cited by the police!!

Had occasion to park up near Hanley Street quite recently, so walked across to evoke some memories and - of course - all I saw was the your Pic 2...not even a green bus!

The wooden block on a chain was a regular feature...have witnessed several drivers try to set off with it still in place. Apparently the rule was made because of a wartime 'runaway' down the slope, which luckily inflicted minimal damage.

Regular user of the 22 to Bells Lane Estate from Hanley Street, which travelled further along Nuthall Road, then turned left at Broxtowe Lane...past the 'bottom shops', then the length of Dulverton Vale before turning left up Bells Lane, right into Ainsdale Crecent and terminating at the Deepdene Way/Amesbury Circus junction...about 20 yards from Kath's residence! Return route was more direct in turning down Amesbury Circus to resume down Dulverton Vale etc...

No 7 went to Bulwell Market, via Cinderhill Road and Coventry Road.

No 1 to Aspley had double the frequency (1-7-1-22-1-7-1 etc) and turned up Melbourne Road, then Hilcot Drive - around Minver Crescent to the Rosslyn Drive/Broxtowe lane terminus.

Several other discussions on the Hanley Street buses, and their destinations, in earlier threads...

Put Hazel Nutt (the legendary bus-conductress on NCT 22...) in to 'Search'...

Cheers

Robt P.

I wonder if you were thinking of another terminus Cliff Ton...maybe King street? Hanley Street was I'm sure only the terminus for the 1..7..and 22 which indeed travelled up Alfreton Road through Canning Circus...but then down Talbot street,and right onto Hanley street.We used to get the bus back home from there too...not just drop off point.That's why I remember the old stoves...as we sat waiting for the bus to leave.A lot of the Alfreton Road route buses were trolley buses...I remember the old bamboo poles being used at Bentinck Rd junction when they jumped the overhead power lines...Hanley Street buses were petrol or diesel.

I've no idea when it was first used.

I wonder if you were thinking of another terminus Cliff Ton...maybe King street? Hanley Street was I'm sure only the terminus for the 1..7..and 22 which indeed travelled up Alfreton Road through Canning Circus...but then down Talbot street,and right onto Hanley street.We used to get the bus back home from there too...not just drop off point.

You're right, my mistake, I must be getting old. I meant Talbot Street, not Wollaton Street

IIRC, Hanley Street was first used in the early to mid 30's as the 1-7-22 services were introduced to serve the new council estates at Aspley, Bells Lane and, possibly, Whitemoor.

The three routes were the sole users of Hanley Street until it closed upon the mass NCT route revamp, of the late 70's.

Cheers

Robt P.

Number 1 was the bus at the top of Hanley St, 22 in the middle and 7 at the bottom. Although the 22 terminus was across the road from my house, at a push I could use any one of the 3 buses, with 2 of them giving me a bit of a walk to get home. A couple of years ago, I parked in the multi-storey on Talbot street with my 2 brothers in tow. They walked me down Hanley St to then cut through to Parliament St to eat in a Chinese in the old Co-op. I had no idea I'd walked down Hanley St until the return walk back to the car and I saw the street sign. In all the years I caught my bus there, I didn't recognise it any longer. I remember the almshouses on there well, from my youth.

Thought you'd know that Rob...ta

Expanding the subject a bit...does anybody remember the collapse of the Lamberts building on Talbot Street some years back??

The night before, I was up top of there examining the finials (Vase shaped ornamental stone) It was my job to reproduce the weathered ones.

I commented at the time I didn't like the look of the sandstone tower...it was severely weathered and had previously had metal ties holding it all together.Not good...

Well it seems the builders were gutting and restructuring the building from the inside and had overdone it.I had arranged for a crane to lower one of the finials so I could copy it...I cancelled the crane after the whole damn lot collapsed into the road the next morning.(And I was up there 12 hours earlier...Aaaaaaagh!!)

The council insisted the builders make good the damage as was...those finials in the pic are my fibreglass copies made to match the stone.

img030.jpg

By the way Katyjay I've been reading a 2006 post of yours where somebody asked if you remembered a 'Norrish' butchers on Nuthall Road opposite Pinkets newsagents shop near the Melbourne Rd junction...YOU DIDN'T :rolleyes: Well to whom it may concern the butchers shop was Jack Norris's a cricket fanatic and friend of my Dads.A few yards from Stansbys the chemist.

Thanks for the update PB, I guess because we got our meat from Joe Taylor on Bells Lane, I wasn't aware of the butcher's near Stansby's the chemist. I did go to the latter sometimes if the chemist at the bottom of Broxtowe Lane didn't have me mam's pills.

...Stansby's the chemist. I did go to the latter sometimes...

The chemists of that era were a different breed, well before the arrival of the nanny state.

There was none of this "...have you taken these pills before?"..."be aware that, etc..."

More like, "Two bobs worth of cyanide please"..."Right,OK"

The ethos being that if you bought something that killed you, 'twas your own fault...

Cheers

Robt P.

I used to use the number 7 from Bulwell when I fancied a change from travelling on the 44 trolleybus, Hanley St was very handy for going into the big Co-op..

Brings back so many memories, thats what I like about Nottstalgia !!

Owdtite... :shout:

There used to be a Fish & Chip shop round the corner from Hanley St where you could buy a bag of potato fritters. I've never seen them anywhere else and they were delicious.

There's a lot of mentions of that chippy somewhere on here! Might be in the pubs closing down thread, not sure, as there is/was a pub next door to the chippy.

And nearby a sweet shop...quarter of Meltis vanilla fudge every time I passed....still like the odd square now...but the old palete is not used to extra sweet nowadays.When you were kids a bucket of Caramac would have gone down a treat.Yeeeaauugh!! super sweet!!

• 4 years later...

I remember catching the 22 on Dulverton Vale every day with my Godmother, until I started school. She would go into town every day to shop. The bus fare was 4d! The first stop would be the sweet shop at the top of the twitchel that went past the Co-op down to Parliament street. She would buy me a penny liquorice. We had set shops we went to depending on what she needed and I knew my way around - all the various short-cuts - before I was five. When my older sister started work at Boots on Station St. I had to take her the first day as she didn't know how to get there 😳 I would have been 11 by then - and kids were safe on the streets.

I remember the wooden chocks under the bus wheels, too. I also remember how cold those buses were in winter. The Almshouses held a fascination for me. I didn't know about Almshouses when I was little, I just thought it would be nice to live there.

Does anyone remember the lady who used to sell flowers from a big, wicker basket outside the front of Griffin's in the 50's?

• Upvote 2

Welcome to Nottstalgia Sue J.

You've made me realise that, so far, we didn't have a picture of the old Alms Houses on Hanley Street. This is effectively a continuation of the photo in #1, and there's at least one old lady sitting on the bench outside.

hanley.jpg

The first stop would be the sweet shop at the top of the twitchel that went past the Co-op down to Parliament street. She would buy me a penny liquorice.

That'll be this one I guess. https://goo.gl/maps/U4vCv

@ katyjay Lol, yes I used to! Now living in Western Australia and have been since 1970. You must enlighten me! How did you know?

It's amazing! When I was visiting in '79 I was stood at the bus stop on Dulverton Vale - and we'd moved to Strelley in '58 - and a lady at the bus stop looked at me and said, "You're Ethel's daughter, aren't you? How's yer mum? It made me giggle.