Anyone remember the stories about the "Lion" which was reported around Tollerton in 1976. Was it a few people with over-active imaginations? Copycats jumping on a bandwagon? A slightly belated April fool?

For some reason the thread about Hollinwell made me think of this subject, and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned on this site before

I Googled around and found three references to it

Early on the morning of 29 July 1976, two milkmen saw what they insisted was a lion with a bushy-tipped tail in a field at Toller­ton near Nottingham airport, prompting a fruitless big game hunt by the police. It was seen three times in succeeding days before vanishing - Fortean Times

From July 29 to August 6 1976, police and citizens searched the countryside southeast of Nottingham for a large animal described as a lion that was first reported by two milkmen at Tollerton. A total of sixty five reports were received by police , but searches turned up no evidence and no livestock was attacked - Mysterious creatures by George M Eberhan

Date / Time: Summer 1976

Further Comments: Dozens of witnesses reported seeing a large cat that resembled a lioness, though no hard evidence was ever produced. - Paranormaldatabase.com

Or maybe the people who do crop circles, dressed as a lion

Yes I do remember that.

I am sure somewhere I have an old EP with pictures of rows of Police and public searching the fields?

Where that would be, sadly not a clue?

• 3 years later...

I lived on the farm whose field it was. The milkman came banging on our door round about 7.am to call the police. I remember ATV News filming in our farmyard. we were advised to stay indoors for 3 days, but no trace of the lion was ever found

I lived on the farm whose field it was. The milkman came banging on our door round about 7.am to call the police. I remember ATV News filming in our farmyard. we were advised to stay indoors for 3 days, but no trace of the lion was ever found

Thank you, martinr............a three year bump and we've finally discovered someone else who remembers the subject as well as me.

• 2 years later...

The steam loco was there from 1971 to 1978. It belonged to my uncle,and was across rhe road from the farm where the lion incident occured in 1976. The engine is now at the North Lincolnshire railway. And it is still in use. He had another engine on the farm side of the road a few years later.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I was born on Tollerton Lane and went to the primary school there. Did you know that Mrs Gretton the head teacher when it opened had died? She was over 100 bless her. There is a website for Tollerton village which is quite interesting. I am in the process of doing an article for them when I get round to unearthing photos! Many happy memories and will always feel like it is home.

Mrs B