Reg Guest - Guitar/Vocalist

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s?

He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer Road Calverton on Wednesday nights.

He also played the clubs and Miner's Welfare clubs when such venues were operating; sadly many have folded following the collapse of the Notts coalield mining industry.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s? He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer

Well benjamin i have news for you i am one of evelyn and regs daughters  x   

I'm agreeing with you and reiterating that I too would use an ampersand but not a feral )      

Don`t have any up-to-date info but I recall the name. Probably because I`d have been a regular at the Cherry Tree in the 60s - Calverton MW too!

Gosh - thanks for that blast from the distant past!

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s?

He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer Road Calverton on Wednesday nights.

He also played the clubs and Miner's Welfare clubs when such venues were operating; sadly many have folded following the collapse of the Notts coalield mining industry.

I knew a Reg Guest at the Morley secondary school on St Annes Well road in about 1954..Sorry I cant help more.My Name is Richard Clamp and when I went to that school I lived on Wells Road.I also sang in St Judes Church choir..

• 4 weeks later...

I remember Reg very well, first saw his trio playing at a pub on Arkwright street (Meadow Inn?) back end of the 1950s.

His (then) drummer, Colin, lived on Nuthall road next to the Red Lion pub and I used to go there and listen to them practice, had a few jam sessions with them too.

I was inspired by Reg and formed a skiffle group, and later a rock n roll band in the 60s and we played in the back room at the Bleachers Arms on Lincoln street Old Basford for several years.

For some reason, don't know what, the trio split and Reg teamed up with a small guy and became the Reg Guest Duo, they appeared on T-V (Opportunity Kocks?) sang a song with a weird title, 'May the butterfly of love fly up your nose'. :laugh:

Last I heard, Reg was living in Sutton in Ashfield, I believe he also spent some time in Yarmouth too, he will be around 78 now, was still around in 2009 when there was a piece in the Evening Post about him and he replied to some of the comments made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember the name well and believe he also ran an agency placing groups in pubs etc.

I used to see Reg Guest regularly at the Cherry Tree, Calverton in the mid 60s. In fact my girlfriend and I used to babysit for him

and his partner, Cavell, in Carlton at that time.

It would seem that Reg now lives in Sutton in Ashfield and is well. If you see this Reg and would like to get in touch with me, give

me your contact details through Nottstalgia - I would love to see you again and chat about old times.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IN TODAYS EVENING POST A PICTURE OF THE REG GUEST TRIO AS THE ARE TODAY ALONG WITH A SMALL WRITE UP. THIS APEARES IN THE BYGONES SECTION.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes I remember it well. The last time I saw Reg 'live' was at the Grey Goose Gedling. Not long after, he went on one of the TV talent shows and completely ruined his chances of winning by singing a stupid song about: " May the elephant of ???? fly up your nose" Why he would do that seems beyong all reason! He had a superb voice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2010 at 10:31 PM, marshallk said:

I was the owner of the Crescent Social Club in the 50,/60s ane Reg played many times .We still keep in touch at Xmas time

After playing in the Meadow Inn he then played many times in the Crescent Social Club Meadows

Eh up & Welcome Trigger.

Thanks for your update on Reg.

Regarding Crescent Social Club, do you mean the Crescent Pub in the Meadows?

If so you might be able to answer another question asked here some years ago?

According to Douglas Whitworth's 'Nottingham Pubs', The Crescent Inn was at the corner of Bruce Grove and Ryland Crescent and was one of twenty two pubs demolished when the area was redeveloped in the 70's.

From the photo it looks like it was a private house at one time, with a bay window on the Bruce Road side and just one small sash window on Ryland Crescent.

I will put the photo up if you want, but I am computer illiterate and it would take me up to an hour, as did the one I put on of the Rose and Thistle on the closed pubs thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember seeing Reg Guest at the Grey Goose pub,Gedling.In his intro he informed the audience his real name was Goode,and his drummers real name was Norfolk,they were going to be know as Nofolk & Goode,but after saying it quickly,they decided not to ,

• 4 years later...

Reg Guest was my all-time favourite, I was lucky because he played regularly at the Piccadilly Club in Bulwell Nottingham which was walking distance from where I live. It was actually the Reg Guest trio, he had a bass player named Dave and a drummer who, If I recall was named Clancy. More to follow