Reg Guest - Guitar/Vocalist

I remember playing in a band with blond Ivan supporting RGTrio in The Beacon Aspley in 1960. There was also a skiffle band on the same gig. Reg asked me if I would join him as a bass player but I had other things doing. I next saw RGTrio doing a week at pontins near Lowestoft in 1963? Great atmosphere in those gigs. Last I saw was a band calling itself Reg Guest Trio playing upstairs in the Thurland in Nottm  in 1984ish but I didn't recognise him in the band.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s? He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer

Well benjamin i have news for you i am one of evelyn and regs daughters  x   

I'm agreeing with you and reiterating that I too would use an ampersand but not a feral )      

On 29/08/2010 at 10:31 PM, marshallk said:

Does anyone know anything about Reg Guest - popular guitar/vocalist around Notts in the 60s and 70s?

He ran a trio "The Reg Guest Trio" and entertained as a resident at the Cherry Tree Pub on Collyer Road Calverton on Wednesday nights.

He also played the clubs and Miner's Welfare clubs when such venues were operating; sadly many have folded following the collapse of the Notts coalield mining industry.

He was at the Grey Goose Gedling one night a week.......he certainly liked the ladies, I had 2 friends who he led on, fell in love with him and ended up with depression.....

He played at the Grey Goose Pub in Gedling every Friday night for ages back in the 60's - A young lady I knew went every week to see him and developed a very bad crush on him (he led her on) causing her to have a nervous breakdown - I think he did like the ladies......

• 1 year later...

Hi, not sure if this is allowed, but this is to announce that my uncle Reg Guest sadly passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning.  He was a true legend in the music business and he will sadly missed by all of his family and his many friends. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Mandy.......met him a  in the 60s..........at the Railway club Bulwell, good performer very popular, what was his wifes maiden name ? think i knew her,,

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Sorry to hear this Mandy.......met him a  in the 60s..........at the Railway club Bulwell, good performer very popular, what was his wifes maiden name ? think i knew her,,

My auntie Eunice was Smith. They knew each other when they were much younger then uncle Reg left to join the Navy and then moved up to the north east for many years. My auntie was at a gig some 35 years ago and uncle Reg was performing. They got chatting, married the following year and the rest, as they say is history.

He was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease about 4 years ago but still loved his music right until the end. 

Thank you

• Like 1

Thanks Mandy..............not the lady i was thinking of.......think my old age playing tricks..........

He gets quite a few mentions in several threads on Nottstalgia - and I remember seeing his gigs advertised in various places - but that's the first time we've actually seen him. 

Unfortunately the Youtube post doesn't give any information about where that was filmed. Maybe someone here will recognise the location, although the best view of the venue is only a few seconds near the end.

4 hours ago, Lynne L said:

Benjamin you might be thinking of evelyn lowe regs first wife who was 16 when they married and he was 19  and in the navy they had 3 children together 

Indeed i was,,iknew Evelyn quite well,, she lived on Gainsford close Bestwood estate,,sure i met her with Reg aswell,, thanks lynne,,

Also knew her brother Big Archie,,think they lived next door to the Eastaps,,who I'm sure were cousins,, Alan,,Les,,and Johnie,,and Mrs Eastap i think Mrs Lowes sister,, all lovely people,,

I never saw him.. but Reg Guest was certainly a Nottm legend. R.I.P.

9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Also knew her brother Big Archie,,think they lived next door to the Eastaps,,who I'm sure were cousins,, Alan,,Les,,and Johnie,,and Mrs Eastap i think Mrs Lowes sister,, all lovely people,,

Well benjamin i have news for you i am one of evelyn and regs daughters  x 

• Like 1

Ah lovely,,am i right are you cousin to the Eastaps,,?.

So i remember your mother and Brother Archie,,?

Lynne,,ignore what ive just put,,   should have said i knew your Mother Grandmother and Uncle Archie......gerrin ode Gel..........lol

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Ah lovely,,am i right are you cousin to the Eastaps,,?.

So i remember your mother and Brother Archie,,?

Yes benjamin my mum is very ill but still with us you might remember Archie was accidently killed in 68 x 

Sorry about ya mam lynne,,i remember Archie being killed,,concrete place nr Sawley? Your mam is a bit older than me,,she would recall my parents joan and ben,,up the cul de sac on Andover road,, lovely making contact with you,,

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...