looking for info on Netherfield buildings

hi

does anyone know what happened on chandos street? My dad was born at number 6 but it has disappeared, was the co-op bulit there?

also does anyone know where the station masters houses was/is on meadow road, on the 1901 census it is placed next to number 50 but without a number. is it where there is a closed down shop??

Welcome

I actually worked on that Coop when it was built.

But it was well up before I got there.

Must have been very late 60s early 70s

Not 100% sure but I think it went up around 1976/7 I know this as mum and dad used to drive there to do the "Bigshop" on a Thursday, shortly after it first opened, and we didn't have a car till 1976.

It's now closed down and standing empty by the way

I left the Coop in 1975.

Worked on the Broad Marsh Store 1974.

It would have been a couple of years earlier than that at least?

If it helps, the winter it was built, there was a bad snowstorm

one day and we were sent home mid afternoon.

Already too late, the city had come to a standstill!

And Closed down now you say?

Yup all empty as I passed last Thursday.

It may have been open for a while when they started shopping there then, but it certainly wasn't the late 60s as it went up a long time after the "Carlton Square Shopping Centre" went up and that was early 70s

• 1 year later...

carlton square was being built before i left school in 1966 and was well on its wayto being finished by then in fact i think the council offices and some of the shops were already in use. i walked past it every day on my way home from station rd school.

I went to the opening ceremony of the Council offices, opened by Charlie Williams in 1972 IMMSC. He only came to fame round us from 'The Comedians' TV show , which didn't start till '71 so it would have been later than the 60s that it was completed.

• 8 years later...

Think I've missed the boat with this one, however, the row of terraced houses with a shop on the corner with Morris Street, along with the row of houses on Morris Street were demolished to make way for the co op supermarket and car park. The shop initially being run by Miss Maggie Wheldon as a grocers. Think I only remember it as a sweet shop, although it could also have been a grocers. Someone on here, somewhere in the system has put a photograph showing the toll gate on Meadow Road with this row of houses in the background.

Strangely, I remember them being there but not their demolition, neither do I remember the building of the co op.

I have no recollection of the demolition of wash tub row, Devonshire Cottages, Ethel Grove or Freemans Terrace ( Carlton). Throw in the row of houses on Curzon Street that became flats. 

The railway house referred to on Meadow Road was right at the end on the right hand side before the railway line. Have a feeling that's no longer there either.

Obviously a period in my life where I had returned to my own planet!

I also don't remember the doctors surgery being demolished either!

The strange shop opposite with the tower I remember as a co op haberdashery. The proper wooden cabinets of cotton reels and silks fascinated me due to the variety of colours, more colours than could be imagined by a little boy.

Albert Street antiques centre had one for sale a few months back, didn't stay in the shop very long.

17 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

. Someone on here, somewhere in the system has put a photograph showing the toll gate on Meadow Road with this row of houses in the background.

The first post in this thread ? (complete with a Photobucket strap across it).  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12002-paying-to-get-into-netherfield/

Have now located the photograph I was referring to. It's in Picture the Past, clearly shows the house the original questioner asked about. 

Apart from Loppy, it seems every one else has disappeared from Netherfield threads.

There is also a photograph of the railway house which he queried, albeit boarded up.

22 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

Have now located the photograph I was referring to. It's in Picture the Past, clearly shows the house the original questioner asked about. There is also a photograph of the railway house which he queried, albeit boarded up.

Can you provide a link - or reference - to those photos. What are they titled on PTP ?

Ignore that, I think I've found them.

They're actually on PictureNottingham, here........... https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library.html?keywords=netherfield&showall=1#PN-NTGM021883&pageindex=2

• Upvote 1

I don't think they've disappeared as they just may not have anything to add at that point.  we all find periodically that we do not know much about a particular issue so we don't post.  I think we all like to read and learn from those like yourself who have some new stuff none of us knew before.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cliff Ton:-    Am doing my best here, however, am falling short at the moment. I did take screen shots of the toll gate and also the old cottage, but they came from different sources. Will persevere.

• Like 1

Apologies. The photo you put up was picture the past.

Yes, the photo I was referring to is amongst those you have posted. Thank you.

Also, a thank you to Loppy for your comments.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:58 PM, Dark Angel said:

The railway house referred to on Meadow Road was right at the end on the right hand side before the railway line. Have a feeling that's no longer there either.

The railways house at the end of Meadow Road is still there ... derelit, unloved and overgrown.  I have lived in Netherfield for the past 33 years and it has never been lived in.  This is a google shot from 2012 but it just looks more overgrown now.  So sad I would have loved this house.

station.JPG

• Like 1

There was a planning application in 2018 to demolish all the industrial buildings and erect housing, however no decision made over it.

The Station Masters or Signalmans house, whichever it was, shown in black was to be renovated.

Application by Kendon Packaging Group Plc

y823VjV.png

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to looking for info on Netherfield buildings
  • 1 year later...

The house reminds me very much of a house I mentioned on another thread recently: the house on Cinderhill Road along from Babbington colliery, occupied by Harold E Tomlin.  That house hasn't survived, sadly. I hope someone rescues the Netherfield property.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...