1960's Meadows Map (313kb)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THIS photo is 1978, but back around 1965 the building on the left (here it's a Job Centre) used to be a petrol station.

The bobbies would only have been on traffic duty as the traffic lights wouldn't have been working because of the road works. !! Great picture by the way.

Blondie, the 45 went to Wollaton Park. Started at the Globe cinema, then London Road, Lower Parliament Street, Upper Parliament Street, Derby Road, Canning Circus, Derby Road, Middleton Boulevard, tur

Not forgetting (If you turned down Friar lane and across the Market Square) , there was the original Sam Wards on Trinity Square.

Wasn't there a "drive through" in the same building as Gunn and Moore at the island on Canal Street??

And the answer is shown in the image below.

Taken mid 60s From an unknown building?

Some interesting points can be seen apart from

Bobbies doing traffic duty, and a sergeant out checking them.

WH Curtis can be seen in the Remington Rand Building.

Blowing up the image, it looks like the 'Carrington Street

Service Station'?

carringtonstreet.jpg

That must be the one I was thinking of, been too long now though..

That's the one I was referring to in the photo which I linked to.

It had two entrance/exits. The one which is shown here, and another one round the corner on the left on Canal Street - you'd see the other one if you could see further to the left of the "..URTIS" sign

The whole place was an L-shape from Canal Street to Carrington Street.

You can also see that layout if you look on the Old Maps site

The bobbies would only have been on traffic duty as the traffic lights wouldn't have been working because of the road works. !!

Great picture by the way.

• Upvote 1

I have a collection of very large scale maps(1 inch to 41feet) dated 1880/1

I have most of the Meadows area + good chunks of Radford,Lenton,Basford And Bulwell & other areas of Notingham.

I am willing for people to have a look or sell them if the price is right.

• 1 month later...

Ok heres one for you.

If you were coming down Maid Marion way in 1965, and petrol showed as empty, Where was the nearest Petrol station?

I know this is going back a few weeks, but I've just found a photo which shows the answer to the question and it's a petrol station which nobody mentioned or remembered or knew about

The Astoria Garage. Junction of Greyfriar Gate and Canal Street. Opposite the Astoria Ballroom which became the Sherwood Rooms which became Ocean whatever

You can even see Maid Marian Way from their back door

astoria.jpg

• 3 years later...

A long shot I know but does this map still exist in anyone's collection as it no longer appears within the thread. I am keen to have a look at 1960's Nottingham. I lived, in the 80's, on Bathley Street, Beauvale Road, Ryehill Close and just off Kirkwhite Court. I was born in the Meadows but the family relocated when I was about seven or eight before I returned aged 13 for a few years. I am keen to know more about the areas my old man lived and those that my grandparents lived after they moved here from Arnold.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the map "no longer appears within the thread". The map this thread is named after is the one at the first post in the thread. Click on it within the post and you will get an option to save it to your computer. Then you can enlarge it or play about with it in any other way.

• 3 weeks later...

My Aunty Grace married in 1956 and lived in a flat on Arkwright Street......It was over the top of Jessie Robinson's Fish shop, next to a Butcher's shop on the corner of St Saviour's Street, she got the flat because her hubby worked for Jesse Robinson's on Sneinton Market......They lived there until 1962, they were then sent to live in Clifton...................I can remember walking down Arkwright Street to Trent Bridge, going around all the back streets, with my young cousins, Arkwright Street was a very busy shopping area.........catching the trolley buses into the city, number 43 to Bulwell Market and the number 41 on London Road to Wollaton Park, the buses ran regularly.........Oh happy days........

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the map "no longer appears within the thread". The map this thread is named after is the one at the first post in the thread. Click on it within the post and you will get an option to save it to your computer. Then you can enlarge it or play about with it in any other way.

Thank you. It appears I was viewing it at work and for some reason it would not load the image.

Yes I knew there was a 41..........I used to catch it to work each day at Cinderhill Isalnd........got a bit mixed up......where did the 45 run too ?

Hi just gone back to Caz's post #6 (Nov.04) where he says he lived @ 6 Ryehill St. our first house was No.8, next door. but that was back in 1953-62 before your time Caz? I posted a picture here some time ago showing the street from the London Rd. end ready boarded up for demolition.

Blondie, re #39, my Grandfather Jack Brealey, owned Jesse Robinson's until his early death in 1949, and my great uncle Bill was there until he retired with Ill health in 1957.

Robinson's made and installed frying ranges in chip shops and I did go with Uncle and his mate sometimes to far flung exotic places like Huthwaite on his fitting and maintenance visits and unused to play in the workshop with my friend Richard Bland on Saturday mornings.

Commo - The Jesse Robinson's I meant was the Wholesale Fish Market at Sneinton..........The shop on Arkwright Street belonged to them............It was in the 1950's onwards that my Aunty Grace's huband's father who managed it with his 3 sons.......Their name was Beavan...............

Yes, this one was called Jesse Robinson's Fish Market..........