1960's Meadows Map (313kb)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THIS photo is 1978, but back around 1965 the building on the left (here it's a Job Centre) used to be a petrol station.

The bobbies would only have been on traffic duty as the traffic lights wouldn't have been working because of the road works. !! Great picture by the way.

Blondie, the 45 went to Wollaton Park. Started at the Globe cinema, then London Road, Lower Parliament Street, Upper Parliament Street, Derby Road, Canning Circus, Derby Road, Middleton Boulevard, tur

Note that at that time, Arkwright Street was the main A52(A60) out of the city.

This was the continuation of the main route which was DOWN Derby road to the City, Through Chapel Bar, Past the Market Square, Down Past C&A Listergate, Through Carrington Street, what is now the Broad Marsh Centre, and straight across past Midland Station.

I have 1960 Colour OS map somewhere. When I find it I will photograph it, and place it on the site.

In Photoshop, 'Save for Web' is very good for cutting down size without

sacrificing quality.

• 3 months later...

BUMP!

I am bumping this topic to remind users that there is a downloadable

Meadows map, to refer to, or locate streets mentioned in the discussions.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just set the map as my "wallpaper" on my desk top.

Caz where was Ryehill Street, rings a bell but can't even find it on the map...

I did live in Ryehill Cottages shortly after getting married the first time around..That was off Kirke White Street East, there was a bookies at the top of the Cottages and a pub around the corner towards London Road where a lot of lorry drivers used to go to from out of town.

Before that I lived with Mum and Dad just round the corner on Kirked White Street, next door on the corner of the Cottages, lived an elderly bloke and his wife, she was a bit nutty!!! She would bang on the wall when he was at work and shout "will you stop pushing daiseys through the wall" Wouldn't have bothered me much, but when I was on night shifts trying to get some kip during the day time, got a bit annoying...LOL

John

Hi John

Ryehill St had London Rd on one side & Arkwright St on the other. The Greyhound pub was on the corner of the London Rd end. I lived facing the old Almshouses @ # 6 .It can be seen on the map above these posts but it's very tiny,it's adjacent Muskham St if you can see that?

Caz

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello me owds, this is me first post. Me old man was brought up on Ryehill cottages. His old man was a fireman on the railways and had something?? to do with funerals. What would a bloke working on the railways have to do with funerals? I can supply names if I get a positive feedback.

Where dya think you are Ebay?

Tell us more.

& Welcome

Hello mate. Stumbled on this site purely by chance. Quick response though. I'm a Bridgford lad and allthough the old man was born over here (in a nursing home) he was strictly a Meadows man. Still in touch with someone who grew up on the same terrace as me dad. Sadly burried her husband a few weeks ago.

Yep, the crowd will catch up wiv yer in a bit.

They are spread across the globe.

Feel free to add to a few topics, as you like.

& tune back later.

I'm off ta bed now, But caz in Oz will be about soon, if yer an Insomniac?

Night

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..........

Hello me owds, this is me first post. Me old man was brought up on Ryehill cottages. His old man was a fireman on the railways and had something?? to do with funerals. What would a bloke working on the railways have to do with funerals? I can supply names if I get a positive feedback.

I lived in Ryehill Cottages when I first got married way back in 1969!

• 3 years later...

Its a good map of the Medda's, I had relatives live on Eugene St, it was the first on the right as you went down Crocus St from London Rd end. Houses were a bit ropey from what I remember, didnt have mod cons like our prefab in Bulwell!

Owdtite.

• 1 year later...

We live in East Bridgford. We are working on our loft, and have lifted the floorboards and found an old postcode addressed to a Mr Gibbons, 13 Ryehill Street Meadows, Nottingham, dated 8 8 1911. I assume Mr gibbons must have moved to East Bridgford, which would have been sometimes before 1955 or so, as the lady I bought the house from had lived here about 50 years herself (not her name, although I dont know her maiden name to be fair, although I can find that out).

anyway would be lovely if anyone knows more about them

I have a copy of an old o.s. map of south Nottingham dated 1899, it shows all of the meadows,trent bridge and the area around broad marsh.

Forest football ground is shown, Trent bridge cricket ground is shown, Nottts county's ground is not shown so i presume they moved to meadow lane later, the area where the ground is now is indicated as allotments. Where County hall is now is shown as Castle cricket ground i have never heard of this before.

The amount of railway lines and buildings associated with the railway is huge, there must have been a lot of rail traffic.

On the rear of the map, is a list of all the shops on Arkwright street, Broad marsh(Lister gate), Canal street, Narrow marsh and Newbridge street.

On Arkwright street there are about 250 businesses listed. You could buy just about anything, the Barclays bank that was on the corner, number 1, was listed as a bank, i think Barclays closed the branch a few years ago.

Ok heres one for you.

If you were coming down Maid Marion way in 1965, and petrol showed as empty, Where was the nearest Petrol station?

There must have been a garage on Canal street, sam wards was at london road roundabout, but i dont know when it opened.

The texaco on castle boulevard also done repairs, i knew a mechanic that worked there in the 80s, is there a garage that sells petrol and also, repairs cars left?