Christmas Tree's Gone Up

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah Annesley Red, it could be about the right time to begin shopping for Xmas 2024.

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Amazing!  That photo could have been taken from my late in-laws house.  The garden looks almost identical.  Nice job Carni.

Hope my little tree and garden evoked some nice memories for you LL. Merry Christmas Mi Duck.:biggrin:

• Like 2

Thanks Carni and a Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

The house I referred to was on Linden Grove in Gedling.  A lot of great memories there.  During our dating years I was always invited there for Christmas dinner. Future MIL was a great cook.  FIL would open a bottle of white wine and a pleasant warm day was enjoyed by all.  I spent more time there than I did at home.  I felt like part of that family before I actually married into it. :Friends:

• Like 5

Got ya feet right under t' table there Loppy,.only joking mate sounds nice......we could start a thread on Mam/Dad inlaws and how we got/get on wi em,

I'll just say...got on with all me Mother-in laws........not so well with Dad-in-laws............;)

• Like 1

Re. Methodism and White wine, Phil.  As far as I know it never became an issue.  A lot of Meths signed the pledge.  I know my MIL never touched a drop.  There is actually nothing in the Bible says you can't have a drop of wine with a meal.  In fact the Apostle Paul recommends it to Timothy for "Your oft infirmities."   Only prohibition is against drunkeness.  That was the only time at Christmas when he bought a bottle to go with Christmas dinner.

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Got ya feet right under t' table there Loppy,.only joking mate sounds nice......we could start a thread on Mam/Dad inlaws and how we got/get on wi em,

I'll just say...got on with all me Mother-in laws........not so well with Dad-in-laws............;)

That would be one thread that i will never comment on....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, carni said:

Hope my little tree and garden evoked some nice memories for you LL. Merry Christmas Mi Duck.:biggrin:

I envy you your lovely  garden Carni, we just have a back yard when our house was built gardens were not  the priority.

9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Re. Methodism and White wine, Phil.  As far as I know it never became an issue.  A lot of Meths signed the pledge.  I know my MIL never touched a drop.  There is actually nothing in the Bible says you can't have a drop of wine with a meal.  In fact the Apostle Paul recommends it to Timothy for "Your oft infirmities."   Only prohibition is against drunkeness.  That was the only time at Christmas when he bought a bottle to go with Christmas dinner.

I think we can excuse that!

• Like 1

I was going to say 'Is your house a modern build Gem, as we have noticed that more and more are being built with very small front or back gardens, and wondered if it was for low maintenance as most couples both have to work today'.

Unless, it is like my daughters little terraced house, which has the little yard at the back in the old style, but with a bathroom built on. Her terrace is a little different, with access to the backs, at one end  with a pathway and then each has a small amount of garden across the path, from their  back gates.

As we get older, though our  rear garden can look nice, but we do find it harder to maintain. We count our blessings though, and feel sorry for people in our sons situation who live in an apartment with no garden. Unless like me, they don't like gardening. I feel the same about gardening as house work,  I love the look but dislike the job.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Our house was bult in 1863 Carni, we have a small amount of garden at the front where i have pots its not really suitable for growing anything but shrubs. The back yard is big and has decking and again lots of pots but its not the same as having a lawn. Full agreement about the housework and even more so when it comes to my doll houses.

• Like 1

1863, with that date, I imagine there is quite a lot of character to your home Gem. Do you think there was once a grass or vegetable growing area where the decking is now. If you have to work I imagine it is a lot easier to maintain that our back garden. I would probably be better with your decking and you with our garden. I love your dolls houses, I don't think I would mind dusting around on that scale.:biggrin:

• Like 2

I'm with you on maintaining the garden Carni.  I now have biggest one I've ever had in my life.  I enjoy being out there and working in it but the stamina of my middle age is missing.  I suppose you can pay someone else to do it.  I think when it reaches that stage I'll just sell it rent an old folks apartment and stay on NS all day to bug the young uns. :biggrin:. It is funny that when we reach a stage in our lives where we can buy a nice house or car we are too ode to enjoy 'em.

Sorry for the digression, we now return to the topic Christmas trees.  Guy next door to me has some kind of laser projector.  It throws tiny images of snowflakes on all the trees.  Saves decorating.  Just turn the light on and all your trees have lights.  :)

5 hours ago, carni said:

. I love your dolls houses, I don't think I would mind dusting around on that scale.:biggrin:

Carni, have put two pictures in the games you used to play thread you might like.    Gem

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Bloody ridiculous. Saw it on the news and couldn't believe it !

• 2 years later...

We eat out infrequently these days. When you compare the prices, you could eat almost for a week at home. I realise you’re paying for the service and the ambiance but I feel that eating out has got to be an extra special culinary experience. I want proper portions though, not an overpriced, fancy, so called ‘tasting menu’. There’s nowhere in our area that meets my expectations and, because a meal isn’t a meal without wine, there’s the problem of someone in the party having to stay ‘dry’ for the evening.

IMG-2351-Original.jpg IMG-2388-Original.jpg IMG-2391-Original.jpg

I love this one, photo was taken in the historic part of the village. An abandoned house but made special in the simplicity of the creche.

The top one is my sons rendition made with wine bottles and glasses.

The middle one is outside the local chemist.

Our village has a walk around and see the Christmas Creche. ( presepe). Because its a village associated with wines the villagers have been very inventive.

• Like 5
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Christmas Tree's Gone Up