• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chambers Butchers & Shops. Coventry Road , Bulwell c1950s

Hi Grendad and welcome to the Forum. I was born and dragged up in Bulwell, Sandhurst Rd at the side of the Lido!! I had friends in and around the Downing St, Duchess St and Mulberry St...did you liv

DOSENT MATTER WERE YOUR FROM OR FAMILY YOU COME FROM OR THE SCHOOL YOU GO TO YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE YOUR EDUCATIONI IF YOU ARE PREPEARED TO WORK HARD AND BETTER YOURSELF.AND NOT JUST IN SCHOOL OR COL

Not so...

The LMS line, which crossed Hempshill Lane, ended when it joined the MR main line at Shipley.

It was the LNER line, which crossed Cinderhill Road, that went on to Kimberley, Ilko & Derby.

Cheers

Robt P.

They both crossed Cinderhill Rd though, or was it Coventry Rd where the Midland (LMS) line went over? Another line which fascinated me as a young teenager is shown on that map, the one that left the LMS line (though had no idea of that then)and went north under the hucknall to watnall rd via a if not hump back then not far off it, bridge, the M1 uses that route now, think the fascination was back then it was the only disused railway I knew of!

Hello Grandad.

Im a new boy on here only second day.

I was born in Bulwell in 1933 I believe in Henritta street, I will check that bit. My Father started his police career in 1930 in Bulwell and served in various places in Nottingham for 30years. I was a team member of Northern Baths water polo team when about 16 till I was about 19.

You brought the name Salt up and wondered if you new a Sammy Salt, sometimes known as Terry Salt. He to was a Polo player and we went to Bestwood Colliery boxing club together. Regretfully I am afraid he died a few years ago, quite a man and afraid of nobody. We had some good times together.

I did some years at Radford Colliery Coal face.

I'm rambling a bit now. Any memories at all that I have awoken.

Mick Fenner.

Does anyone remember a teacher at Coventry Road infants in the forties named Miss Seabourne? She left in he mid forties to marry. This lady, and she was that, showed a great deal of kindness to a scruffy little Orph when he was in need of some. I would love to know what became of her. And what about Miss Stout who was so respected by so many in Bulwell having been responsible for several generations education. Basic though it was for mosy of us dunderheads. Any facts would be helpful. Grendad

Don't remember any bare footed kids riddled with rickets in my lifetime...Bulwell no different from any other working class area.

We had TB in the family. Will that do to qualify?

Grendad

A branch of the Pallant family, originally from Bulwell, moved to Walbrook Close (at the bottom of Bells Lane) when the houses were newly built in the 50's.

Mrs Pallant - with the seemingly exotic occupation of corsettiere - had two sons, John and Philip, who were playmates of mine down on Fowler's Pond and Amesbury Circus Park.

John later went to High Pavement, and eventually played Rugby for England...

Hector Salt had a greengrocery shop on Coventry Road in Bulwell, which is where his horse and dray were stabled. Now the site of a fish and chip shop...

His brother covered the shop, whilst Hector managed the local 'oss & cart work...

Another of the Amesbury' travelling shops was run by butcher Tom Bradbury/Bradley?, who also had his own retail shop (of some considerable size - complete with its own slaughterhouse and farm!) opposite the Three Ponds pub at Nuthall.

Somewhat of dubious character, his delivery vehicle was a former American WWII Chevvy!

Cheers

Robt P.

The 1940/50 Salts were Fred and Tom. Really nice men and kind to the horse and the lads who hung on the back of the dray for a ride. Grendad

• 2 weeks later...

My God, Fenner. What a name to remember. One night in early 1955 Im was walkinng home from Oxford Street to Hempshill Lane and a police car pulled up when I was near Bulwell market. A voice from the back asked, "Where have you been?" I said "Courting." "Where are you going?" "Home" "Where's home" "Heiron Place on Hempshill Lane" I replied. "One of Liza's lads then. Get in, I know your mam." I rode home in the car with Fenner. Everybody in Bulwell knew him as hard but fair and he features in an as yet unpublished book I have witten about life in Bulwell in the days following the miners strike. Did he have a long happy retirement? It's what he deserved.

Grendad

Hi Grendad.

Sorry so long answering I couldnt get my head round getting back into the sight, (poor old devil). I will also answer soon the e-mail you sent me.

Yes Jack, as he was known, Fenner did have a happy retirement allthough his life was cut short at 64 years of age in 1973/4 by a stroke, my Mother Flo nee Luke haveing died some two years previously at only 59.

As a Father he was also fair, bit bad tempered at times but never a finger laid on his four children just at times severe/strong punishment, one being clean all the shoes in the house and then clean again. I hope your book comes to be published in the not to distant future.

I do have quite a few photos and paper cuttings of his life as a boxer some taken of him doing a Heil Hitler when boxing in Germany about 1934. He became a european heavy weight boxing champion(Amateur).

I will keep in touch, if I can remember what buttons to press on this computer.HAHA.

Just going back to when Jack gave you a lift, I dont know what age you were but he said it paid to talk to children of any age and get them on your side thus less fear of policemen and "information" given was often very helfull to find "wrong Doers" who the youngsters new.(wink)

Mick Fenner.

• 2 months later...

hi im new to this site

my grandad KENNETH WILSON grew up in the bulwell area along with his brother FRANK,and DEREK,also sisters joan, mavis and DOROTHY all born 19+30-40ish, KENNETH was very good at sports, and was in quite a few clubs, just wondered if anyone remembers them

Re your father in Germany Fenner, I recall reading about this, think I'm right in saying they went on a Skills bus? (assuming of course just the one visit?) remember seeing a pic of the bus going through some town, looked very odd what with all the swastika's flying!

• 5 months later...

They both crossed Cinderhill Rd though, or was it Coventry Rd where the Midland (LMS) line went over? Another line which fascinated me as a young teenager is shown on that map, the one that left the LMS line (though had no idea of that then)and went north under the hucknall to watnall rd via a if not hump back then not far off it, bridge, the M1 uses that route now, think the fascination was back then it was the only disused railway I knew of!

It went to Watnall Colliery & Brickworks (the 4 chimneys). There was a colliery line there as well which went from Watnall to Eastwood connecting all the Barber Walker pits in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you remember family Pallants who lived in Chatham Street. Mrs Pallant made the best cakes and bread. Ted was in our class till he went off to tech college. And the club on your street which was really friendly. I lived down Oxford St for seven years in the fifties/sixties. The house cost £250.

Yes, they're my family. Mrs Nellie Pallant was my grandmother and Ted still lives in Nottingham, as do most of the family that are still living.

• 2 years later...

Just found this topic on Bulwell",some of the posts i found fasinating as my mothers family were from HIGHBURY VALE,she was one of 9.the family name was "JACKSON".They lived on Chatham st and Albert st,Bill and Mary were my grandparents and the kids all born in the 20s and 30s were Nell,Doris,Rose,Gwen,Marg,Connie,Bill,Joan and John.

just wondered if anyone remembered them.

My dad used to take me to visit one of his friends who lived around there. His name was Tommy Shooter and he4 lived on one of the roads off Highbury Road. I am sure the footbridge over the railway was at the bottom of the street.

dont remember a Shooter,but my mother used to talk about playing on that Bridge,i think it was bottom of Albert st,still a bridge there.All my AUNTS went on to marry local families,Booth,Cooper,Barnes,Scriven,Langsdale,Hopkin and Shipley,i have at least 40 1st cousins.

benjamin1945. My aunt,uncle and cousins lived halfway down Albert street on the right, their name was Jackson, uncle Albert, aunt Doreen (sadly aunt died in the early 60's) kids names were Sandra,Colin, Anthony,I think Anthony was adopted when very young because of my aunts (his mother) early death, uncle Albert was a prisoner of war in a Japanese camp during WW2 and as a result suffered terrible nightmares for the rest of his life poor man

Rog

Dont know if my Grandad Jackson had any brothers,never know plantfit we might be related. :)

Does anyone remember the original Oxford pub built of Bulwell stone next to Highbury pictures?now the Coop,i did a stint as barman there in 67".The landlord was Joe Kirk,i earned 3/6 per hour.the main thing i remember was a small room called the Blood room".and can you remember why it was so called?

)

Thats where the fighting & glassing took place !

Near enough catfan,they told me that after disputes were settled on the little waste ground(corner of Piccadilly) the Blood room was where they cleaned themselves up. HAPPY DAYS EH"

Just to finish my memories of the Oxford,Joe the landlord was a bit of a moaner and it really "irked him"that the blood room had been taken over by a group of pensioners that would sit in there with half a pint that lasted them all evening,whilst .playing Dominoes.So he installed fluorescent lighting and a Juke box.

All to no avail,the pensioners were mostly hard of hearing,and the spots on their Dominoes shone brilliantly in the fluorescent lighting. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

I note with keen interest that Bulwell will be having a festival the first two weeks of July including the showing of past and present photos of Bulwell in the library. Look forward to attending this as Paul Turton has some fantastic older photographs of the area which he will be showing. Also ties in with the Cleethorpes scooter rally, in which some of the old boys (now 49-50 years ago) who made the scooter run to the great GT Yarmouth on the bank holidays back in the mid 60's. Hoping to meet up at the Pier. This all ties in with my quick visit to the UK. Hope they soon resume flights from Toronto to East Midlands Airport as there has been some talk recently.

• 2 years later...

Odd subject for a vegetarian but I was at school with a girl whose parents ran a butcher's shop on Coventry Road in Bulwell. The name was Chambers, not to be confused with another Chambers butchers shop that was near the marketplace in Bulwell.

I visited the shop on a number of occasions and, if memory serves me correctly, it was very old property indeed. The family lived at the back of the shop and also in the accommodation on the first floor. There was a large yard at the rear of the property with quite a number of spacious out buildings.

This would be in the very early 1970s but I believe the shop and the property surrounding it fell prey to a compulsory purchase order round about that time because my friend and her family had to move out as the entire area was due to be demolished. Although I've looked, I've never been able to find a photograph that shows this particular property, yet I've seen one or two that must have been quite near to it.

I know that there are a number of Nottstalgia members who live in Bulwell and know the area well. Just wondered whether anyone can remember the shop or might have any photographs of it before it was destroyed. I have always loved old buildings, even when I was a teenager and it was shameful to knock this down because whatever might stand on the site today, if anything, will certainly not be as eyeable or have as much character as that property.

• Upvote 1