Glad I found your site to remind me, as if I could forget, things about Bulwell. This new member was born on the backside. This stretched along Coventry Rd From Fred Salt's chip shop to the Red Lion and included streets like Kett st, Stockwell st and Hempshill lane where I was born in 36.

Can anyone remember Miss Stout at Cov school? or Miss Seabourn at the infants? I would be very grateful for any info about Miss Seabourne who wanted to adopt me when dad was killed at Bestwood pit. Thank you forn the name Shaw Key, I always thought it really was Shonkey and the piece about the Penguin cafe where I tasted my first Horlicks. In 1949 I won the talent competition held for the kid's club at the Olympia. £5, a lot of money. My mam had it to buy me some clothes. I've got lots of questions but I'd better cut this off. Bulwell people didn't like folk who 'went on.'

Grendad

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chambers Butchers & Shops. Coventry Road , Bulwell c1950s

Hi Grendad and welcome to the Forum. I was born and dragged up in Bulwell, Sandhurst Rd at the side of the Lido!! I had friends in and around the Downing St, Duchess St and Mulberry St...did you liv

DOSENT MATTER WERE YOUR FROM OR FAMILY YOU COME FROM OR THE SCHOOL YOU GO TO YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE YOUR EDUCATIONI IF YOU ARE PREPEARED TO WORK HARD AND BETTER YOURSELF.AND NOT JUST IN SCHOOL OR COL

What pooh said!

What pooh said? When did Bulwell kids get to read books like pooh? I was in my fifties when my son bought me a copy of W the P. I showed a friend a couple of photos of Bulwell last week, if I can find how to do it I'll post them to share. I saw a photo of Brian Growcock and it said he had been Sherrif. Is this the lad who was at Highbury School? One of the brightest was Fred Rutt who died in the same bed they put me in after another road accident in 1956, I think. I spoke to someone living in Bulwell a few wekks ago and she said crime was less because a number of criminals had been locked up. A week after the phone call I read in the paper that a youth had been shot dead near where she lives. Are things any better?

Grendad

Hi Grendad and welcome to the Forum.

I was born and dragged up in Bulwell, Sandhurst Rd at the side of the Lido!!

I had friends in and around the Downing St, Duchess St and Mulberry St...did you live near there?...Did a lot of courting round the back of the straw factory, do you remember that?

I left some 42 years ago and last went back in 2001 and its just not the same, seems to be a lot of "Chavs" about...(sorry to anyone who lives there now who isnt a chav).

Talk about crime, we had our prefab broke into in 1959, the cops came round, took fingerprints, arrested a geezer from Rock St on the same night and got everything back except the cash that was taken....I dont think the cops work that well now do they?

Owdtite..

• Upvote 1

What pooh said? When did Bulwell kids get to read books like pooh? I was in my fifties when my son bought me a copy of W the P.

Grendad

Don't remember any bare footed kids riddled with rickets in my lifetime...Bulwell no different from any other working class area.

On the road up to the park there was a family named Turner. I remember two sons Jim and Bo. Jim was the best poacher in the area. I saw him shoot a bird, as it lifted from the ground, shooting from the hip and he would kill the rabbits that bounced into the net simply by folding the head. They were dead instantly. I left Bulwell in 76 and have only been back three or four times.

Grendad

...Bulwell no different from any other working class area....

Two cousins of mine hailed from Radford, moved to the 'roughest' part of Aspley and spent their formative years in a Sandhurst Road prefab'. They are both the best read and intelligent members of my family, by some distance!

Cheers

Robt P.

DOSENT MATTER WERE YOUR FROM OR FAMILY YOU COME FROM OR THE SCHOOL YOU GO TO YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE YOUR EDUCATIONI IF YOU ARE PREPEARED TO WORK HARD AND BETTER YOURSELF.AND NOT JUST IN SCHOOL OR COLLAGE I HAVE LEARNT A LOT MORE ,TO IMPROVE MY EDUCATION SINCE I LEFT SCHOOL THAN I EVER DID WHEN I WAS THERE. JUST FROM LIFE IN GENERAL AND READING ON ALL SUBJECTS THAT ARE OF INTEREST TO ME OR VISITING VARIOUS PLACES OF INTEREST AND MUESEUMS IF ONE TOOK MY INTEREST I WOULD GO TO THE LIBARY AND FIND AS MANY BOOKS AS I COULD ON THE SUBJECT AND READ THEN TO FIND OUT MORE. ALSO NOW HAVE A FEW QUALIFICATIONS N.V.Q,S BTEC NATIONAL ECT NOT BAD FOR SOMEONE WHOES MUM WAS TOLD AT 11 I COULD NOT READ AND WRITE AND AT 15 I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB I WANTED AS I WOULD NEVER GET THE QUALIFACATIONS I NEEDED. RETURNED TO COLLAGE AT 40 AND GOT MY FIRST ONE A CITY AND GUILDS IN CARE AND FROM THEN TILL IN MY MID FIFTIES WAS GET VARIOUS QUALIFACATIONS AND JOBS I WANTED TO DO

BABS

• Upvote 1

You still can't spell though...

no may be not perhaps because i am dyslexic.

but then again i would not be as rude to mention other peoples downfalls

but small things amuse small minds.

DONT WORRY EVERY ONE I AM OK CAN CERTAINLY STAND UP FOR MYSELF.

• Upvote 1

Rather contradictory to be pontificating on educational matters via yet another capitalised posting, complete with the usual grammatical nonsense...

The group's persistent 'write as you speak' syndrome must keep many would-be members away...

Cheers

Robt P.

I used to be good, but now I'm perfect! (not)

Maybe it's a trait of all dyslexics?? Spelling I mean, after all, they don't see the world quite like we "normal" people see it.

Someone else I know who is also dyslexic has a hard time typing the correct spelling of words, but if he takes his time, his spelling is immaculate.

The same feller is an accomplished guitarist and has a good singing voice too. He also holds vehicle technicians qualifications. But like Babs he doesn't see the world the same as most of us "normal" folks here see it.

I spaced my paragraphs just in case someone wants to have a dig...

PB can come to the meet up and buy Babs a drink.

What is it Babs?

SORRY HAD TO RUSH OFF OUT FOR A WHILE SO DID NOT HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO THIS BIT BEFORE.

I AM VERY EXPENSIVE IM AFRAID MICK ONLY DRINK DOUBLE TIA MARIA WITH ICE SO I WILL BE BUYING MY OWN DONT LIKE ,BEER ,WINE OR CIDER.NEVER HAVE SO PIGGY SAYS HE HAS TO TAKE OUT A BANK LOAN WHEN I HAVE GOT MY DRINKING HEAD ON. GOOD JOB ITS NOT VERY OFTEN.

BABS

My money is on you never getting that double Tia Maria off PB Babs, but if I ever run into you can have one from me with pleasure. Can I also add that the reason some people don't join Nottstalgia is because they don't want to leave themselves open to ridicule and criticism off certain members who don't think they fit the criteria to be a member. If the grammar, punctuation or spelling is wrong on this post ask me if I'm bothered.

I'll buy her one too! Looking forward to it - hopefully at a location with LOTS of motorcycles and their owners!

And I use an American spell-checker so my esses are often zeds! LOL