• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chambers Butchers & Shops. Coventry Road , Bulwell c1950s

Hi Grendad and welcome to the Forum. I was born and dragged up in Bulwell, Sandhurst Rd at the side of the Lido!! I had friends in and around the Downing St, Duchess St and Mulberry St...did you liv

DOSENT MATTER WERE YOUR FROM OR FAMILY YOU COME FROM OR THE SCHOOL YOU GO TO YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE YOUR EDUCATIONI IF YOU ARE PREPEARED TO WORK HARD AND BETTER YOURSELF.AND NOT JUST IN SCHOOL OR COL

Its been mentioned in this thread that people maybe put off joining the Forums......The person I feel sorry for in all this is Grendad, the Newbie who started the thread about his experiences in Bulwell.

The thread then degenerates and drifts into dyslexia and meet ups and with a twinge of nastiness about it!...This, more than anything will put people off from joining and more importantly, staying with the Forum.

C'mon Guys, lets keep the threads on topic please and lets cut out any nastiness.

Owdtite............. !rulez!

My post was to inform those that criticize others with disabilities that even we "normal" folk aren't perfect.

I just have to laugh at some of the remarks so no sympathy needed Owdtite. Did you used to work on the 43/44 bus route? Has anyone out there heard of the U3A? Some remarks about education lead me to mention this organisation, one of the best things ever. Here in this beautiful little town we have more than a thousand members and eighty groups who meet to discuss, learn, enjoy lots of different subjects. I know there is a branch in Nottingham. If only teachers at Highbury/Albert Street school had been as interesting as the volunteers who lead subjects here. If you have spare time and curiosity Google it to find what suits.

WELL HELLO AND WELLCOME GRENDAD. SORRY I SEEM TO HAVE OPENED A CAN OF WORMS ITS NOT NORMALLY LIKE THIS. JUST A FEW WHO SEEM TO TO FIND GRAMER AND SPELLING MORE INPORTANT THAN WHAT IS BEING SAID. HOPE IT DOSENOT PUT YOU OFF LIKE READING NEW THREADS FROM NEW PEOPLE

BABS

I'll buy her one too! Looking forward to it - hopefully at a location with LOTS of motorcycles and their owners!

And I use an American spell-checker so my esses are often zeds! LOL

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE ROCKERS REUNION WEB SITE LIMEY. SOME GREAT PICKS OF THE BIKES THERE OLD AND NEW. I POP UP ON A FEW OF THEM TOO

AND WHEN EVER YOU ARE IN NOTTINGHAM YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME TO COME OUT TO ANY OF THE BIKERS MEETING PLACES WITH PIGGY AND ME . WILL INTRODUCE YOU TO SOME INTERESTING PEOPLE AND SOMEONE MIGHT EVEN LET YOU HAVE A RIDE ON THERE BIKE I AM ONLY SORRY I CAN NOT GET ON THE PILLION ANY MORE OR I WOULD GET PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO WOULD GLADLY TAKE ME BACK IN TIME TO MY TEENS.

THANKS FOR THE OFFER OF THE DRINK BY THE WAY.

BABS

Hey Babs - I checked out the site - great pics indeed! I keep thinking I should just buy a bike in the U.K. and keep it at my sister's so I have something to ride over there. There are rentals, but they are VERY expensive (100 quid/day).

We have a rally locally on Sunday - I'll try and get some pictures for a comparison. I will ride my '78 KZ-650 and friends will be riding a 2008 Triumph Bonnie, and a 2000 Kawasaki W650! Hopefully, the weather cooperates - looks like you had good weather in Skeggy!

I just have to laugh at some of the remarks so no sympathy needed Owdtite. Did you used to work on the 43/44 bus route? Has anyone out there heard of the U3A? Some remarks about education lead me to mention this organisation, one of the best things ever. Here in this beautiful little town we have more than a thousand members and eighty groups who meet to discuss, learn, enjoy lots of different subjects. I know there is a branch in Nottingham. If only teachers at Highbury/Albert Street school had been as interesting as the volunteers who lead subjects here. If you have spare time and curiosity Google it to find what suits.

Hi Grendad,

No I didnt work on the Trolley buses but I used them quite a lot in my younger days. Your mentioning Highbury School brought back memories, I think everyone dreaded going there cos they were know as the Highbury Bulldogs and all 11 year olds used to hear the stories of what they did to Newbies. I was lucky that I (half) passed my 11 plus and ended up at Ellis School!!

Which junior school did you go to? I would assume it was either Bonnington or Rufford! We used to play them at football and cricket when I went to Springfield Junoirs.

Owdtite.

Eric, you could buy a bike and keep it at mine but i'd need stabilizers on it.

!rotfl!

Sorry Grendad for pinching your thread.

THATS CALLED A TRIKE DEN

Ayup Grendad, my grandparents lived next to the school on Albert street, if you looked over the school wall that was Highbury vale side of the school you would have overlooked their garden and chicken houses

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grendad,

No I didnt work on the Trolley buses but I used them quite a lot in my younger days. Your mentioning Highbury School brought back memories, I think everyone dreaded going there cos they were know as the Highbury Bulldogs and all 11 year olds used to hear the stories of what they did to Newbies. I was lucky that I (half) passed my 11 plus and ended up at Ellis School!!

Which junior school did you go to? I would assume it was either Bonnington or Rufford! We used to play them at football and cricket when I went to Springfield Junoirs.

Owdtite.

Just back from Istanbul, what a city. No Owdtite, I went to Coventry Road school which was a short walk from the bottom of Hempshill Lane where we lived. Or was this re-named? Where was Sringfield? My son went to High Pavement, got his brains from his mam. I still have family living in and near Bulwell but I don't visit. So much to enjoy in this lovely town. I wish I'd taken photo's of old Bulwell before it was knocked down. Some of the sandstone houses were very small. Damp as well. Since I left I've only ever met one other person from Bulwell and she was also off Hempshill Lane. One person in forty years.

Ayup Grendad, my grandparents lived next to the school on Albert street, if you looked over the school wall that was Highbury vale side of the school you would have overlooked their garden and chicken houses

Rog

Do you remember family Pallants who lived in Chatham Street. Mrs Pallant made the best cakes and bread. Ted was in our class till he went off to tech college. And the club on your street which was really friendly. I lived down Oxford St for seven years in the fifties/sixties. The house cost £250.

I do remember the club at the top of Albert street, although I was only a kid I was allowed in on Saturday afternoons to play snooker on their full sized table with my dad and uncle, also used to go to the picture house at the top of the road/Highbury vale (now the Co Op) on alternate Saturdays to watch the Lone ranger etc, halcyon days

Rog

BTW what was the name and nature of that factory at the bottom of Albert street? (I used to sit on that wooden fence watching the steam trains go by)

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found your site to remind me, as if I could forget, things about Bulwell. This new member was born on the backside. This stretched along Coventry Rd From Fred Salt's chip shop to the Red Lion and included streets like Kett st, Stockwell st and Hempshill lane where I was born in 36.

Can anyone remember Miss Stout at Cov school? or Miss Seabourn at the infants? I would be very grateful for any info about Miss Seabourne who wanted to adopt me when dad was killed at Bestwood pit. Thank you forn the name Shaw Key, I always thought it really was Shonkey and the piece about the Penguin cafe where I tasted my first Horlicks. In 1949 I won the talent competition held for the kid's club at the Olympia. £5, a lot of money. My mam had it to buy me some clothes. I've got lots of questions but I'd better cut this off. Bulwell people didn't like folk who 'went on.'

Grendad

Hello Grandad.

Im a new boy on here only second day.

I was born in Bulwell in 1933 I believe in Henritta street, I will check that bit. My Father started his police career in 1930 in Bulwell and served in various places in Nottingham for 30years. I was a team member of Northern Baths water polo team when about 16 till I was about 19.

You brought the name Salt up and wondered if you new a Sammy Salt, sometimes known as Terry Salt. He to was a Polo player and we went to Bestwood Colliery boxing club together. Regretfully I am afraid he died a few years ago, quite a man and afraid of nobody. We had some good times together.

I did some years at Radford Colliery Coal face.

I'm rambling a bit now. Any memories at all that I have awoken.

Mick Fenner.

On the Bells Lane Estate, as a kid, we had a Hector Salt come round with a horse and cart, selling fruit and veg. I wonder if he was related to the Salt's fish and chip folks. I never thought before, where he had started out from each morning, couldn't have been much further than Bulwell I shouldn't think, not knowing how far a horse would travel? It was years before I knew his name was Salt, he was always 'ector and his 'oss.

Hello Grandad.

Im a new boy on here only second day.

I was born in Bulwell in 1933 I believe in Henritta street, I will check that bit. My Father started his police career in 1930 in Bulwell and served in various places in Nottingham for 30years. I was a team member of Northern Baths water polo team when about 16 till I was about 19.

You brought the name Salt up and wondered if you new a Sammy Salt, sometimes known as Terry Salt. He to was a Polo player and we went to Bestwood Colliery boxing club together. Regretfully I am afraid he died a few years ago, quite a man and afraid of nobody. We had some good times together.

I did some years at Radford Colliery Coal face.

I'm rambling a bit now. Any memories at all that I have awoken.

Mick Fenner.

My God, Fenner. What a name to remember. One night in early 1955 Im was walkinng home from Oxford Street to Hempshill Lane and a police car pulled up when I was near Bulwell market. A voice from the back asked, "Where have you been?" I said "Courting." "Where are you going?" "Home" "Where's home" "Heiron Place on Hempshill Lane" I replied. "One of Liza's lads then. Get in, I know your mam." I rode home in the car with Fenner. Everybody in Bulwell knew him as hard but fair and he features in an as yet unpublished book I have witten about life in Bulwell in the days following the miners strike. Did he have a long happy retirement? It's what he deserved.

Grendad

A branch of the Pallant family, originally from Bulwell, moved to Walbrook Close (at the bottom of Bells Lane) when the houses were newly built in the 50's.

Mrs Pallant - with the seemingly exotic occupation of corsettiere - had two sons, John and Philip, who were playmates of mine down on Fowler's Pond and Amesbury Circus Park.

John later went to High Pavement, and eventually played Rugby for England...

Hector Salt had a greengrocery shop on Coventry Road in Bulwell, which is where his horse and dray were stabled. Now the site of a fish and chip shop...

His brother covered the shop, whilst Hector managed the local 'oss & cart work...

Another of the Amesbury' travelling shops was run by butcher Tom Bradbury/Bradley?, who also had his own retail shop (of some considerable size - complete with its own slaughterhouse and farm!) opposite the Three Ponds pub at Nuthall.

Somewhat of dubious character, his delivery vehicle was a former American WWII Chevvy!

Cheers

Robt P.

Grendad you can probably help us with a query re the railway at Hempshill Lane? see the last few posts in the maps request posting, Tusher kerderim!

The railway up Hempshill Lane was over the road, it ran alongside the corpo tip and went to Sankeys pottery. Did it go further than this? I thought it ended there

The railway up Hempshill Lane was over the road, it ran alongside the corpo tip and went to Sankeys pottery. Did it go further than this? I thought it ended there

It eventually went all the way to Kimberley/Ilkeston/Derby

Here's part of it from the 1920s

railway.jpg

Not so...

The LMS line, which crossed Hempshill Lane, ended when it joined the MR main line at Shipley.

It was the LNER line, which crossed Cinderhill Road, that went on to Kimberley, Ilko & Derby.

Cheers

Robt P.