The Royal Steak House

Any one remember the Royal Steak House, on Upper Parliament Street opposite side to C0-Op house

Just down from Wesr End Arcade (What happened to Brownies Toy Shop?)

Used to be able to go to the Odeon or ABC and get a meal in this tiny dimly lit Steak House, all dark reds if I remeber right but the T-bones were fantastic!

Always busy on Friday and Saturdays, but easy to get in at the start of the week!!

Just down from Wesr End Arcade (What happened to Brownies Toy Shop?)

Don't remember the Steak House you mentioned (probably I wasn't old enough to be eating out in those days) but I do remember Brownie's Toy Shop up West End Arcade. Once you were inside it kind of went uphill; thinking about it now, it was probably several shop units joined together as one

Was Brownies its real name? I've always assumed that was what my parents told me it was called. Wasn't it actually connected to Skills in some way?

Don't remember the Steak House you mentioned (probably I wasn't old enough to be eating out in those days) but I do remember Brownie's Toy Shop up West End Arcade. Once you were inside it kind of went uphill; thinking about it now, it was probably several shop units joined together as one

Was Brownies its real name? I've always assumed that was what my parents told me it was called. Wasn't it actually connected to Skills in some way?

Yes, there was a Skills shop joined to it on Chapel Bar, facing the ABC Cinema

My parents always called it Brownies...........it was an Aladdins cave, if they didn't have it no one made it

I remember it , I ate in there as a sad old "Billy no mates" in around 1979!! I was supposed to meat (did you see what I did there??) some mates from work , who's bus from Chilwell (Allegedly) broke down. I thought "seeing as how I'm here" and started without them. I'd finished my much clichéd "Prawn Cocktail starter, Fillet steak , Chips, Petite Pois, Button Mushrooms" main followed by "Black Forest Gateaux" and Coffee with floating creme by the time they turned up, so then I waited another hour and a half in "The Fox and Grapes" whilst they had there's!!

Great night out , .............................................................Not

Different place Den.

I DJd Mr Pickwicks once in 1986, and never again!! .

I stood in for a mate of mine and he forgot to mention that, to get paid you had to try and keep the clientèle in the place after they had finished eating which was next to impossible, as there was only a party of 12 women in there . Each one of them new how the perfect night should progress. (One wanted Soul, one wanted Motown, one wanted rock etc. ) it was a case of "Ne'r the twain shall meet"

I'd play a bit of Luther and up would jump the Soulie, but she and her mate sat down as soon as I slipped into "Going Loco down in Acapulco" !! etc I tried a bit Springstein, oldies, all sorts , to no avail. The most I had on the dance floor at one time was 4 !!!

It went on for about an hour, before they all started arguing with me , the manager and each other, before storming out in a huff.

I got a tenner for my trouble!! and never went back!!

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This seems a suitable home to plonk this post.. Jill might know the place.

Many years ago i went to a steak place in Ambergate,i ate a 52 oz steak!

A side order of 2 fried eggs with a bottle of the driest red in the house..ate the lot.. this was then gratis as i had completed the task....obviously one wasn't able to drive home. Can't remember the pubs name.

18 hours ago, iandawson said:

This seems a suitable home to plonk this post.. Jill might know the place.

Many years ago i went to a steak place in Ambergate,i ate a 52 oz steak!

A side order of 2 fried eggs with a bottle of the driest red in the house..ate the lot.. this was then gratis as i had completed the task....obviously one wasn't able to drive home. Can't remember the pubs name.

Wot no desert youth ?

• 4 years later...

The nearest we got to meat as kids was probably sausage or rabbit stew? One of my 1st jobs was @ County Hall we had a works do The Trattoria Antonio possibly the 1st steak & restaurant I had ever been to, always ranked as my favourite even though I only went a few times? 

E0QSSCIX0AU9fQA?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1