Charles Noble Photography

I've had an enquiry on Flickr about Charles Noble Photography who used to be based in the Elite Buildings and if memory serves me correctly, were near neighbours to Jack Denman's Casting Agency.

It's a bit of a long shot but has anybody got any idea what might have happened to them?

We're talking me at 15 here...didn't even know they had a bar :unsure: Went out with a young librarian from there though :tongue: I stopped going in for years and they knocked it down to build the new place.

Eight years later I went for a game of snooker and was totally amazed that my cue was hanging on the wall of the new building.Could you imagine that happening nowadays??

In the old building the guys that ran the Snooker hall were Stan...a little bloke wearing a purple cardy....And Jack...a very fair player himself.

Joe Davies came once and my brother played him...my brother got to play two shots and Joe cleared up.

Eight years later I went for a game of snooker and was totally amazed that my cue was hanging on the wall of the new building.Could you imagine that happening nowadays??

I left my brand new (Christmas present) Cue in the "Cue Storage Room" at my local club on Boxing day 2004 went in the following Wednesday and it had gone!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Joe Davies came once and my brother played him...my brother got to play two shots and Joe cleared up.

I once played Rex Williams at Pool , he broke and cleared up , I didn't even get a bloody shot!!!

• 10 months later...

The Mechanics has been a bit of a family buisness for quite a few members of my family. My late grandad worked at the club in the late 70's. He worked part time as a steward. My uncle is currently employed at the mechanics carrying out the same roll.

My sister also worked at the Mechanics in the library on a saturday, this also would have been in the late 70's.

Lastly but no means leastly my mum retired from the club last summer after completing a mammouth 38 years of working behind the bar that Den talks about.My mum worked opposite shifts to Joan, then the bar only opened for lunch time , then again in the evening closing around 10pm. long before the days of all day drinking.

I remember Joan very well, we sometimes used to go to work with mum in the school holidays and Joan was always very kind to us.

When The Mechanics was situated in its previous location at Trinity square it was a very busy and popular club. The snooker room at the time had 8 full size snooker tables and you had to book to reserve a table. I always remember as a young boy poking my head around the door and watching games being played very seriously through the dense fog of cigarette smoke lingering over the tables..Long before the days of the smoking ban.

I have asked my mum about Charlie Noble, she knew him very well. She informed me that he used to be the official photographer for Nottingham Forest. I remember about 35 years ago my mumbringing home a Nottingham Forest photo keyring that Charlie had given her.

This is my first post on this forum , hope ive done everything right and hope to be back very soon.

Thanks for the welcome Den. Although i never met lynne ive heard my mum talk about her in the past. Im suprised really that i didnt follow the family tradition and go and work there myself

During school holidays i sometimes used to go to work with my mum and in the bar in the old Mechanics was a little stock room where i would sit with my colouring books whilst my mum served drinks. I always remember these big jars of cherries in syrup that they used to put in drinks, and me trying to get the lid off the jar.

The club then was managed by Capt Tom Graham , always wore a suit.There was a proper restaurant with silver service waitresses, a Television room, The bar ,Meeting rooms, chess room, a well stocked library and in the main lounge area was a huge selection of all the daily papers, plus just about every magazine you could think of.

A great place back then, lots of characters my mum used to come home telling us stories about.It couldnt of been that bad if Joan managed 27 years and my mum 38.

• 2 years later...

Somehow I missed this topic.

Charley Noble took my wedding photographs 19th July 1975.

I've seen better.

I kept one of them just for laffs... Pinstriped suit and miserable face,

The Girls at work would often beg me to bring it back in to cheer them up.

If I find it I will post it.

Put it in the window, it will keep the burglers away Mick....

• Upvote 1