Was this a cinema/theatre?

On Meadow Lane, just about opposite the Cattle Market, there's a building which looks like an average warehouse/industrial unit. A bit grubby and run-down. Like this.....

meadow.jpg

It backs on to the river, and if you look at it from the other side (i.e. City Ground side) it looks like this......

ware.jpg

A bit extravagant for a warehouse. Anybody know why is has such an exotic feature facing the river? Cinema? Restaurant?

Late 60's and earlier this was part of the Nottingham Co-Op Meadow Lane.

I believe this was part of the bakery, (confectionary).

Domain of the infamous 'Feccy Girls' featuring 'Ginger'.

I never ate any Co-op cakes!

The electricians shop where I was an apprentice was just to the right

when looking from the trent.

No, I tell a lie, I think the white building on the right was the Coop Garage maintaining their vehicles.

Electricians shop looked out over the trent to the rigt of that.

Yep definitely Co Op bakery overlooking the river, I remember some of the staff sitting out there to have their break in the 60's when I was fishing on the opposite bank near the Grantham canal

rog

I didn't realise the bakery was still there after the bombing, had always assumed that "football car park" backing on to the river was site of such, remember the garage though as firm I worked for in 1970's had account there for petrol, I had old viva HA van (firm's) on it's last legs, doors that rotten they flapped in the wind! supervisor took it in there and said fix them plus anything else needed, one new engine, gearbox, propshaft, new doors, god knows what else and a bill for nearly as much as a new van would have cost and I got it back, head office went apeshit! esp when propshaft sheared when just out of guarantee period!

Yep definitely Co Op bakery overlooking the river, I remember some of the staff sitting out there to have their break in the 60's when I was fishing on the opposite bank near the Grantham canal

rog

So it was basically a staff canteen? hungry.gif That's what you were paying for when you bought Co-op bread and cakes

More of the last of the original buildings.

Attached is a view of Coop Meadow Lane Garage.

Door on left was the staff canteen, also frequented by dustmen from Eastcrof of a morning

I can still taste the cheese on toast now. And remember the delightful 'Feccy Girls' at dinner.

Probably the same that Rog spied whilst safely seated on the opposite bank.

post-1-021264000 1285706505_thumb.jpg

Looking back the other way.

Other side of the transport yard entrance.

This building was the coop stables on the 1st floor.

Access from rear via concrete ramps.

The delivery horses lomg gone you could still smell them as if they were there in the late 60's

post-1-033259000 1285706917_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...