Could you do this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh yes, I remember it well. That first jump on the parachute course from that tethered balloon raised to 900 ft. then singly from the door way, then 7 more  all different exits from the old 'Dakota's

We’re away in Dorset for a few days while the sun is shining and it’s unusually warm for this late in October.   While out for dinner this evening we were chatting to a couple from New Zealand wh

Two years ! I love my holidays and travelling, but I love to return to my own bed, pillows, shower, toilet paper, garden. Oh, £50M on the lottery...... Mmmmm, I might just manage come to think of

There was an article in our Amateur Radio magazine a couple of years back, written by a feller who does that for a living. He charges $100 an hour for his services!!! One rule he has, "take the climb steady" Takes them several hours to climb a tall tower, taking frequent rests. They take ALL their gear up they will need, including snap and drinking water etc.

One of the towers at Walnut Grove south of Sacramento is 2000ft high, has an elevator to the transmission vault, which makes it easy to ascend.

When it carried channel 3's analogue equipment it had a 3 inch hose, (co-ax cable) fastened all the way up from the main 6Mw yes six megawatt!! amplifier at the base of the tower to it's antennas at the 2000ft mark!

Their cheif engineer lost his job and commercial ticket a few years back. The transmitter dropped out with a high SWR fault. Instead of checking it he closed the breakers and blew the cable out at the half way mark on the tower. Those cables are made in one length, no joints or couplers!! Cost them thousands of dollars for a new cable and the advertisers didn't like the service while the main transmitter was down.

No way would I climb a 40 foot tower these days!!

Let me think about that for a nanosecond!

NO, NO and NO!

It was only a couple of years back a small tower collapsed at a radio station, around 300ft high with a crew working at the top. A guy wire failed due to corrosion, all lost their lives.

What about the fellers who work on examining 500,000 volt electricity transmission lines?? The have a special suit, are lowered onto the lines via helicopters, and work their way along the main pair while it is energised?? The only danger is with the helicopter, and taking ill while on the lines.

I read the instructions "Do not stand on the top step"!

No big deal, once climbed a conker tree on a par with this, well maybe a bit lower lol, been on a few roofs fitting copex down chimneys when young with no crawler, harness etc with no fear (or sense!) but when about 40 fitting new aerial to my own stack, literally froze, thought it was going to be a fire brigade job! took me ages to get down again, since then anything over a step ladder and I don't want to know

Did she work for that Dutch bloke "Hertz Van Hire"?

no she was a backing singer for freddie cannon,

getting a bit off topic here, so to get back on track (sort of) I used to think that tightrope walk between the twin towers couldn't be beaten but saw on tv at w/e someone had done such between 2 balloons at I think 11,000 feet (not sure if he had a parachute though)

All but one of my towers are "tilt over" One is a crank up tilt over, but needs repairs before I reuse it, got some welding to do on the bottom of the bottom section, it is a 65 footer. My other tilt overs are 7ft 6ins each section and can assemble to over 80ft guide!

Last one is a 40ft free standing tower, Last time I took it down I had to climb it, my nerves won't stand climbing towers any more, so doubt it will go back up.

IMMSC it wasn't even your twig!!

And didn't it have a little light bulb on the top (That was smashed in the "Lady Bay Incident" ) that came on when you keyed the Mike??

• 3 weeks later...