O.K People,Blackie here.I am new to the site and am trolling through old postings.This shot is looking across the street from the old police station towards Coppice Rd. Blankleys was a chemist shop.Further along is the bottom of Wood St. then the old doctor`s surgery.Just passed the trees was a row of shops,one of which was Harry Waggs newsagents who I used to deliver papers for in the early 60`s.Opposite Blankleys was a row of shops, A florist,Merins bike shop and a dry cleaners.If any of you are interested,there is a site called arnold-history-group.org which I have just recently found.

A florist,Merins bike shop and a dry cleaners.If any of you are interested,there is a site called arnold-history-group.org which I have just recently found.

Remember the florist, dry cleaners and lusted after many a bike in Merins!

I'm a member of Arnold Local History Club, Blackie. Well worth looking into all their stuff.

• 2 years later...

Only going back a couple of years when I took this photo but a new shopkeeper had taken down an old sign above the shop to reveal (underneath) a 40+ year sign for Paul Kreeger’s dress shop.  I used to buy clothes in there and knew him quite well.  Wonder what happened to him?  This incidentally is on Front Street near the Junction with Worrall Avenue and next to the Jewellers Shop where the lady owner was shot dead a few years ago. 

The shop on the left with a green bit over the window used to be a fishmongers back in the 60s and 70s.  He had a very attractive son who drove a BMW 2002 :wub:

4_EDED5_A4-8771-44_DB-_BA57-_C94_D9_C241

• Like 2

Yes the Library was on the opposite corner with Swimming Baths next door, away from Front St.  all pulled down about 40 years ago and a big spanking Sainsburys was built. They moved eventually up towards Daybrook and Wilkos took the building, still there. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IAN123. said:

Another from mid 60's

Sycamore cottages i think are/were the demolition site.

Yes, that shows the Police Station that was on corner of Front Street and Ravenswood Road. 

• Like 1

Arnold baths was where I learned to swim at a club on a Monday evening back in the 50’s. Afterwards it was off to the chip shop just around the corner. Whilst we’re on the subject of Arnold did anyone know Jeff Simpson, the electrical contractor on Furlong St? J.N Simpson and Co.

• Like 1

That's definitely still there, as I passed it yesterday !

With Rowbottoms Butchers next door to Cross Keys, which is also still there.  

The first time I went on holiday to the Med I went with a water-skiing crowd from down the Trent.  Joy Rowbottom was in that party and as it was the first time I’d flown she took it upon herself to look after me, not that I was in the least bit worried.  I ended up looking after her as she was throwing up for the entire flight!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Possibly looking down the alleyway towards Front Street from what is now a car park on Croft Road (between High Street and Front Street and behind the new Doctors Surgery.  

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Went to Majorja with the ladies Darts team from there........a little after that photo though.............lol

Perhaps too many wanted a 69 checkout !

• Like 1

Twas one of the best holidays i ever had.............it was half couples and half ladies by themselves.....i went because my mates wife had to drop out last minute..(tut a bark init).......my mate back then was a chap called Keith and he was a 'dead wringer for Woody Allen.....funniest mate i ever had,,,i was single (between marriages) so i was ok to try and pull,,only there 4 days but fell in love 5 times,,who all completely ignored me on our return to Luton Airport,, lost touch with Keith many years ago,,did try to trace him a bit back.....he Managed a Pub near Southwell but had moved on by popular demand by the time i got there.........PS    the only bloke ive shared a bath with,,after Horse riding all day and soaking our rear ends and sharing a bottle of Wine..........still got a photo of us departing the plane at Luton,,me clutching 200 fags and him with a bottle of Whiskey.......would i love to do it all again ?   you bet..........lol

• Like 1
On 3/6/2018 at 7:48 PM, LizzieM said:

Possibly looking down the alleyway towards Front Street from what is now a car park on Croft Road (between High Street and Front Street and behind the new Doctors Surgery.  

If that is the Alleyway down the side of the Coop ?  could tell you a tale about that........if not forget it       ,lol

You’re up the wrong alley Ben!  The one you’re on about comes out opposite the Market and the awful Methodist Church (where I got married 43 years ago!). The one mentioned above, photo not on my iPad anymore, is further along, before ASDA. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

You’re up the wrong alley Ben!  

Happened many times Lizzie........lol

• Upvote 1