From the same site as the 'Cinema in Arnold' thread. Anyone know the answer to the following questions?

It clearly looks like Front Street, probably the West side of the street. I think it's towards the northern end of the road and maybe the last clear building on the right hand side might be The Robin Hood and Little John pub on the Cross Street junction (where the library is). Could be completely wrong about that though.

--

http://arnoldforum.co.uk/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=39

OLD ARNOLD MEMORY TEST

memorytest.jpg

Recognise this picture

Our regular “Old Arnold” picture feature

this issue comes from around 1960. The

buildings in the picture had been sold for

redevelopment.

Do you remember Blankley’s and what

type of shop it was?

Where was it and what is there now?

Never been a regular Arnold visitor, but I'll give it a guess.

Either The Coop or the Methodist Church

Don't think it's where the Co-op (as was) stood mate as there was a church on that land previously still in the mid-sixties. Across the road where the present-day Methodist Church stands next to the market used to stand an older church (I think) and the entrance to my old school 'The British'. I reckon it's t'other end.

I've read elsewhere of a 'William Blankley, Post Master'. So perhaps it might have been a Post Office?

Not been to Arnold for years. Did not know Coop had closed.

Worked there as an apprentice. Did you know that the left corner has no foundations,

or does not touch the ground because it is over an old graveyard?

Or so I was told in the 60s?

post-1-034321500 1285873388_thumb.jpg

I stood outside that door way selling RAC memberships on many an occasion. (That's why I went for the Coop or the methodist church , they're the only places I could remember!!)

I remember once, on the corner where the roadworks are, was once parked a car with a disabled blue badge in it. This articulated lorry came down the road to the left of the photo and couldn't get round the bend because of it. A policewoman was there pretty sharpish , asking if I'd seen which direction they'd gone, of course I hadn't. So me and the waggon driver asked if it was OK if we moved it, she asked us how and we said we'd pick it up. She OK'd us but you could almost hear her thinking "Now this I've got to see" Any way sufice to say me and the lorry driver picked up the back corners and, having removed the contact of hand braked wheels and the ground, were able to shove it down the road aways, and up on to the curb.

Matey boy gets off on his merry way , policewoman issues motorist a ticket for dangerous parking and I carry on working grinning from ear to ear, satisfied that I've just heard a coppers jaw hit the deck!!

yada.gif

I don't know Arnold very well, but with nothing better to do today, I've been having a look around.

This original photo above is on Picture the Past, bigger and in colour. They say it's Front Street.....

Looking at other Front Street photos brings up this

Front Street1

which could be the same view from the other way (look at the three dormer windows on the right, and the first floor windows, they match the ones in the original)

And this one

Front Street 2

I reckon the white building sticking out fourth along is the Blankley building (you can just see the three dormers again beyond it)

And according to Pic the Past the third building along here is a pub called Horse and Jockey; so if you know Arnold you can work it all out

Now I'm going to lie down

Worked there as an apprentice. Did you know that the left corner has no foundations,

Interesting about the foundations Mick, I had never heard that. The co-op has been closed for some little time now. It has now re-opened as a discount store. The church that stood there was pretty much in the same position as I recall. The churchyard was situated behind it and went through to High Street (or 'Back Street' as the locals used to call it). I was at the Front Street School for Boys the 'British' fairly straight opposite on the other side of Front Street, where the market stands now. This was in the last year of it being open which was around 1966/7. At this time the church still stood and I'd cut through the overgrown churchyard to cut back to Redhill and back at lunchtime.

Here it is:

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold27-Front-St-Baptist-Church.jpg

I don't know Arnold very well, but with nothing better to do today, I've been having a look around.

This original photo above is on Picture the Past, bigger and in colour. They say it's Front Street.....

Looking at other Front Street photos brings up this

Front Street1

which could be the same view from the other way (look at the three dormer windows on the right, and the first floor windows, they match the ones in the original)

And this one

Front Street 2

I reckon the white building sticking out fourth along is the Blankley building (you can just see the three dormers again beyond it)

And according to Pic the Past the third building along here is a pub called Horse and Jockey; so if you know Arnold you can work it all out

Now I'm going to lie down

Nice detective work Cliff Ton, hope you enjoyed your lie down. :)

The Horse and Jockey is still there and stands on the corner of Front Street and The Croft. It definitely does look like the Blankley building just top side of it so that must mean there was no Croft road in those days if that's the case. The building in the same second pic just nearside of The Jockey would have been where The Croft is nowadays

This is a similar shot I found which is described as 'The Croft, Front Street':

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold12-Front-Street-Croft.jpg

What's still throwing me a little is that if yo look at The Horse and Jockey in both those pics then compare it with the one below, the building is clearly of a different design. This pic shows the Jockey with two bay windows at the front, which it still has:

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold09-Front-Street-Horse-%26-Jockey.jpg

• 1 month later...

Blankleys, Billy as the old man was called, was the chemist in Arnold, the shop stood on Front Street, i think somewhere opposite the old police station to the right of the Croft. The picture in the first post is not available now. It was very old fashioned inside, I think it was a double fronted shop with the door in the middle. You walked in to face a huge wooden counter with floor to ceiling wooden cabinet behind it full of drawers with latin labels. big coloured glass jars everywhere.

• 1 year later...

Hi Stu, good to see you back posting. thumbsup

I like the above photo.

I like the ones in your photostream ('The Tears of a Clown'), especially the one of you seated with your

partner and wearing a green jumper and the mask of a fox!

:bluespin04: Christine

Thanks Christine. The person with me was a teaching work colleague. The mask was due to the kids' nickname for me at the school - 'Foxy'! Happy days.

Anyway Stu, good to see you back posting.

You may remember that in a post I made the other evening, I wrote to you: 'Stu, what would we do without you?' And I sincerely mean that! :mellow:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did this shop not used to be Fine Fare?

That big sign over Fine Fare doors was made locally in Glassfibre...in the wrong colour green. I know this cos I worked for the company that made it. It was remade in the correct colour and the old sign is now a pair of garage doors on the Killisick Estate....with a bit of cutting and carving of course. Waste not want not eh? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1