Old Nottingham and Arnold images

A bit of a daft question , but does anybody know where the 'old' prison was! (Nott'm picture 18) Or is it where it the same one thats there now??

A bit of a daft question , but does anybody know where the 'old' prison was! (Nott'm picture 18) Or is it where it the same one thats there now??

Think it's the old "House of Correction" which stood somewhere near the old central market, might even have been pulled down to make way for victoria station

There's a map for everything.........

prison.jpg

I reckon the bit you see on the old photo is the entrance below the word "Station" on the map

This shows it as "Disused" but Vic station is obviously built, so it's 1900-1920. The site of the prison was eventually cleared to build the Central Market

• Like 1

Sorry Pooh (And I know I may be wrong) but that prison shot looks a lot newer than the turn of the twentieth century

Don't know when it was demolished to build the new central market but it was definitely out of use in 1899..those posters look like they may have been posted on an unused building as they are nowadays.Will try and find out more.

mentioned it before, once saw a proposal for new dual carriage way from virtually the ice stadium up to mansfield rd/huntingdon st junction, loads of demo inc palais, there was also a model of victoria centre complex in office there with part of new road (on pillars in the "big hole") on it, anyway back to pics, enjoyed them, some never seen before, did you notice the odd 1950's one or two in arnold pics?

anyway back to pics, enjoyed them, some never seen before, did you notice the odd 1950's one or two in arnold pics?

Noticed these three in particular, Ashley.

Tom Turner's was a very well know business in Arnold for many years. Latterly it moved to premises on the opposite side of Front Street.

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold16-Turners01.jpg

This scene from High Street which features the houses that stood opposite the two schools.

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold18-HighSt60's.jpg

The original Arnold Co-op - now J D Wetherspoons 'The Ernehale'.

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold21-Co-op-60's.jpg

Don't know when it was demolished to build the new central market but it was definitely out of use in 1899..those posters look like they may have been posted on an unused building as they are nowadays.Will try and find out more.

This picture mid twenties of the Palais shows no developement on the left...ie market buildings...pity it doesn't show a bit more on the left though.

DCHQ500552.jpg

talking of the palais I did hear (good few years ago) they had to turn off the flashing dome as "it interferred with EMA" no idea if true, story said to have come from palais manager

When EMA first opened there was a large green flashing beacon to the west of the then passenger building. It flashed a morse-type identifier.

A flashing light on the Palais may not have 'interfered' with the EMA beacon but it could of course be confused with it. A Viscount landing on Upper Parliament Street would not have been good!

yes, that was the story I was told, re the morse identification, around 1959/60 I used to pick up a repeated morse H U which I assume stood for Hucknall on best as memory serves me short wave on an old valve radio, (along with all sorts of noises that would be great for an hawkwind album! lol)