Old Nottingham and Arnold images

Recommended Posts

When the old Nottingham Prison was demolished, King Edward Street was constructed across the middle of the site from the end of Glasshouse Street to the corner of Convent Street with Millstone Lane (now Huntingdon Street).

The piece NW of this new road was home to a skating rink - burned down in 1910, then the Empress Pictures cinema which closed in 1927 to make way for the Central Market.

The piece of the prison site on the other side of King Edward Street eventually was the Palais-de-Dance. 

So poohbear is right; in the mid-20s the site just off the left of the photo would have been the Empress Pictures (which was set-back a bit from the road.  http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/57733

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now