Nottingham - things we have lost

We had a similar thread regarding pubs but what are the things you really miss about Nottingham of yore? Things you would dearly love to return or never have gone away?

I came across a very recent one when recently in the Victoria Centre and discovering that the mushy pea and shellfish stand in the fish market has now disappeared. Very disappointed in this as I often used to pop on there when in town for some peas and a few prawns or cockles. What a shame.

I'm sure I can think of a long list for this thread without too much thought but what do you miss?

3393983715_5560c5fa46.jpg

Agree on the "mushy pea" stand in the Victoria Market - as far as I know, selling mushy peas that way only happened in Nottingham - another tradition gone.

For some odd reason I always miss the original (to me) Boots store on Clumber Street. The store in the Viccy Market was never the same. Also "Sisson & Parker" on Wheeler Gate - always loved that store. I still have the receipt for my adjustable square that I bought there when I was about 14 years old!

The smog when the trolley buses stopped running and I had to walk from the city to Bulwell coughing my guts up!!!

And of course Shippo's ale!!!

As regards the peas, cockles etc, I never had them in Vicky center but had many in the old Central Market..now that was a place that is missed!!

Owdtite.

- as far as I know, selling mushy peas that way only happened in Nottingham - another tradition gone.

Used to be a regular patron of Mansfield market mushy peas stall in the 90's...

Certainly a thriving business at that time...unsure if it still exists.

Reckon the writing was on the wall at the Vic' Centre when Eric Dickinson and family sold up, upon his retirement.

Always seemed to be less popular since their withdrawal...

Wonder if they will be available next week-end, on the Forest?

Cheers

Robt P.

The sights and smells of Burtons arcade.

They were ahead of their time. They were selling fresh, unusual, foreign food when the fashion was for instant pre-packaged plastic junk.

If they'd managed to survive into the 90s, the rest of the world would've caught up with them and they'd now be the busiest place in town

Ditto with Burton's arcade, and Jessops old shop, Farmer's shop at the top of Exchange Walk, Toby's on Friar Lane, old Boots shop, the big Co-op, and Woolworth's. Also missing nowadays is a shop assistant at each dept counter, now you wander round the stores looking for somewhere to pay, and it's never obvious!

Pea-soupers coming home from work, and having to put a scarf over your mouth.

The smell of paraffin in hardware shops.

Kids playing out in the streets till all hours. Walking to school [most likely today they get taken in cars or ride a bus] in wet weather and your wellie bobs slapping the backs of your legs till they're red.

• Upvote 1

Never understand why pubs don't do hot peas and mint...Just a bain marie cooker on low.No brain power needed,and a HUGE profit.they don't stink the pub out either like some of the crap they serve up.

My old man looked forward to Goose Fair for one reason...Mushy peas.

By the way have you noticed the weather?....somebody told it Goose Fair was on it's way...same on bonfire night.Rain Rain Rain...

Remember Sisson and Parker well. Won prize at High Pavement to choose a book from there in about 1970 and spent ages in Sisson and Parker trying to find one; there seemed to be about a hundred floors and a million books.

what about the huge Co-op, Rediffusion (listening to records in the booths) or Selectadisc on Derby Road?

Reading about Bulwell Bogs also stirred some memories, particularly the smell of the place, sticklebacks and some nutty lads with air-rifles. Probably the least healthy place for kids to play

Funny how smells come back to you when remembering old places; the Sunblest bakery on Hucknall Rd or the smell of the brewery near to the swimming pool in Basford where we were bussed to from school for swimming lessons always made me feel ill - or maybe it was just the prospect of the cold water

When buses looked like this...........

bus.jpg

And on another subject

Selectadisc on Derby Road?

Are you sure? I was never aware of any Selectadisc on Derby Road. They were - at various times - on Arkwright Street, Clumber Street, Glasshouse Street and Market Street. I know because a helluvalot of my money went there as a teenager (and well into being an adult)

Are you sure? I was never aware of any Selectadisc on Derby Road. They were - at various times - on Arkwright Street, Clumber Street, Glasshouse Street and Market Street. I know because a helluvalot of my money went there as a teenager (and well into being an adult)

I don't remember Selectadisc being on Glasshouse Street. It was on Goldsmith Street and also Bridlesmith Gate, along with the ones you mention?

I don't remember Selectadisc being on Glasshouse Street. It was on Goldsmith Street and also Bridlesmith Gate, along with the ones you mention?

You're right and I'm stupid. :tongue: My typing is faster than my brain works

Dury Hill, those pokey little shops and the narrow street used to fasinate me when i used to walk up there with my Mum

The old Woolworths and Boots with its high counters, iremember Sisson and Parker as well used to go there for my ink and fountain pens

Must say I kind of miss the old Ice Stadium. The new arena represents significant progress but some of those atmospheric Panthers Saturday nights, particularly in the 1980s were magnificent. I don't think it was just Nottingham supporters who recognised the buzz of the place. Used to enjoy public skating there several times a week too.

The Nottingham Panthers – Memories from Lower Parliament Street

PUBS!!!!!!

Nowt to do with Nott'm I know, but the second nearest pub to me, and probably the biggest in the whole area, "The Brighton Belle" has closed and is boarded up!! it used to have a railway carriage attached to it as a restaurant, SWMBO had her 21st birthday in there!!

It was since that was removed and a more permanent restaurant was built that it went down hill!!

• 2 weeks later...

it's all right you laughing, but I was getting withdrawal syptoms, knew I shouldn't have gone down that mine! and before anyone takes offence re joking re such let me say how pleased I am that rescue went well,

Yes, well done to everyone who was involved with the rescue....Thats reminded me that Nottingham has lost all of her mines !!!

Also, I think its ironic that Maggie Thatcher spent her 85th birthday watching Miners rejoicing on TV.

Good to be back, I think its time the server was sacked!!

Owdtite..... !inthebin!

...Also, I think its ironic that Maggie Thatcher spent her 85th birthday watching Miners rejoicing on TV.

Excellent point...additional irony being that it took place in the country of her great ally, and personal friend, Pinochet - the President who specialized in having political opponents thrown from high-flying aircraft.

Also, if such a similar potential tragedy occurred here, H&S approval would still be awaited for drilling to commence...

Cheers

Robt P.