Maid Marian Way - almost

Just came across this and I'd forgotten I had it. I don't know where I got it from, or how I got it. It's not on Picture the Past or in any book I've seen.

In case anybody doesn't recognise it, the building centre/right is the Royal Children, and the road going up the centre is the early version of Maid Marian Way.

Judging by the cars I'd guess it's around 1960.

royalkids.jpg

• Upvote 2

Parked up to the rear of that box lorry is a 1.5 Riley or Wolseley 1500 so 1960 'aint far out. And smack in the middle parked facing and to the right of that lorry MAY be a mini.

I wonder what happened to the whalebone over the pub doorway?

The whale bone was still there last time I looked!!

Now for a hundred bonus points:-

What did it signify???

That woman looking at the statue of Robin Hooddon't half look like my (Pregnant with me in 1961) mother!!!!!

I do recall the road signs (look like Mickey Mouse Ears) that they changed daily to swop over which side of the road you could park.

I cannot see any Mini's, there is a Vauxhall Victor FA, Standard Vanguard, Vauxhall Velox, VW Type 1, Austin A30/A35, Wolseley's, perhaps a Citroen (or 2).

OOOOHH!! When did that get removed . ?? Was there a stink kicked up?? It's bloody sacrilege that is!!!

Didn't realize till I came across this that the pub was only built in the 1920s to replace this one.Whalebone in place over the door.

royal_children2p70.jpg

Maybe the whalebone was a danger to public health...'Elf & Safety' donchano?

The whale bone was there to show that they sold oil for lanterns and such like, i think that it is inside the pub now to stop it deterioating any further as it had got into a bit of a state.

My guess on 1960-ish was based on the fact that the most "modern" car visible is a Mk2 Zephyr/Zodiac - parked bottom left facing up the road. And apparently they were introduced in 1956. So, on second thoughts I reckon it's a few years pre-60.

So I went into detective mode, and discovered Picture the Past can help a bit, with this

marion.jpg

which is basically the same view turned 180 degrees. They date this as 1960, and as they got it from the old Weekly Guardian, I'd guess it's probably accurate.

Look at the building immediately to the right of the Royal Kids on this one (bottom left corner). Looks like they're just finishing the roof. On my original, that building doesn't even exist

I remember my Dad getting his Wolsey 680 in 1951...NTV 351 £1,000 eight shillings and a penny.He told me he put his name down for 'A' car and that was what came first.Very few being made in those days...you took what came into the showroom.

And get this...it was bottle green...he didn't like it and had it resprayed black...Henry Ford would have been proud.99% of cars then were black.

• 10 months later...

Royal Children reopened after being damaged by fire.

The famous whale bone sign survived the fire and is still on display in the pub, which has the only valid licence in the UK to sell whale products, though it chooses not to do so.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Pub-reopens/story-13296489-detail/story.html

• 4 years later...