The market town near to us and the main city 20 minutes away are flooded. The rainy season had a late and heavy splurge and, on top of the rainwater, the government is treating everyone to discharges from the dam. I remember the floods in Matlock in the '50's when the Ladybower was given an anaema. Nothing compared with what is going on here. The local town has no mains water or electricity, as you might expect with up to two metres of water flowing through. We've now been treated in our village with a lack of fresh water because the pumping station is flooded. Our tank was half empty before we were told but luckily we have our own well so we won't smell to bad.

I've posted some pics. on my blog:

http://www.grumpyexpat.com/blog/2010/10/pak-thong-chai-korat-flood---o.html

Bit wet there t'owd chum!! Somehow I think I'll stay where I am, can get wet here, but at least I have elevation on my side.

A question, how on earth do you put up with Thai immigration laws??? All I have to do, unless I want citizenship is renew my greencard every ten years. I don't have to leave the country to maintain status, in fact if I did, I'd have to come back within a certain time or lose my permanent residence status.

Oh and one other point, while driving here, if I have an accident in my car, I'm innocent until proven guilty, from what I understand, if you as a foreigner have an accident in your car, you are automatically the guilty party. Someone else who lives there told me that one, he just doesn't drive and risk that one.

Foreigners can't own property in India either.

I think we in this country should treat others as they treat us, but I suppose in this politically correct world, that would be called racist.

It's also a crime to slur the Royal Family out there Den. We used to have a feller who retired to Thailand on another site. There also used to be a bloke who holidayed there every year to fulfill his sexual needs. He was there during that big tsunami a few years ago, he wasn't allowed to help out. He is a contracting electrician and offered his services, but they refused on the grounds it would be illegal.

Geez, the ignorance about Thailand.

First, for all its peculiarities, I would not swap my lifestyle here for anything that the US or UK could offer. The floods are exceptional and, while I sympathise with the victims, we are lucky. We are outside the flood zone and on higher ground.

I'm just changing my visa to one that allows me to stay here subject to 90 day reporting and annual renewal in Thailand. Easy. If I wanted to work I would need my employer to get me a B visa and a work permit but that's of no interest to me because I'm retired. My wife looks after the business side of things.

I was in an accident in our car and it was agreed that we were both equally to blame. Fair result. Don't believe all that you hear from bitter expats. I always drive unless I've had a beer or two.

Foreigners can own anything except land and more than 49% of a company. There are ways to protect your interests and any foreigner who doesn't use them is a fool.

Denshaw, if your friend needs advice I'll give it freely. Well, for a beer or two at least.

Sure, you don't criticise the Royal Family. So who give a shoot?

You don't do work that Thais can do either. The UK might learn from that!

Guys, Thailand is not like the UK. If you want UK style, stay home.

He was quite open about it, single bloke who had been flying out to there for many years to have his fun. He loved Thailand and it's night life. He wasn't in the least one bit embarrassed by what his needs were or chatting about it.

When I lived in Oz, some of my mates used to visit the Philippines for the same thing, blokes in their 20's to late 30's.

Each to their own Poo.

It's a pity that some people think that there is nothing more to Thiland than the illegal sex trade. In fact, I admire those girls. They come from areas where there is no hope of breaking from the poverty trap and they either get a farang husband, or cash to set up themselves and their families, or both. The punters are mugs.

Yes indeed...and many thousands of these young girls work just in 'honourable' occupations such as restaurant/hotel duties, often combining further education commitments. Also,usual for them to send most of their earnings back to their families, especially as their parents, and siblings, are treated with the highest respect and deference.

My son's house cleaner, and his podiatrist, are both single girls in their early 30's who spend their limited free time in voluntary education and also remit the bulk of their income back home.

Also, be assured that those that choose to work as bar-girls are invariably of a more acceptable demeanour than your typical Nottingham night-out 'Saturday night slapper'!

Cheers

Robt P.

Met many young Thai students in my work at one of the local universities. I am invariably impressed with their work ethic and general pleasantness and politeness. They are usually a great credit to themselves and their families. Great young people who are a pleasure to work with.

--

Sorry about your difficulties with the floods there, Froggy and welcome to this forum.

Thanks very much, Stu.

Thai students in other countries probably come from wealthy families and most return to take up one profession or another. Most hospital doctors speak very good English so I guess that they were the type of student that you mention. It's also gratifying to see the more enlightened poorer parents making the financial sacrifice needed to get their children through university here. The standards don't match those in the UK but it's better than nothing.

Also, be assured that those that choose to work as bar-girls are invariably of a more acceptable demeanour than your typical Nottingham night-out 'Saturday night slapper'!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: That's for sure!

Many girls leave school at 15. Their parents cannot afford further education and the children are required to earn an income to help buy luxuries such as food. Many get pregnant too young and the young fathers clear off. If they can do nothing else, they may be tempted to go to a town or tourist area to work in bars. They can make, in Thai village terms, good money for few years. Much of what they earn goes back to the family who will be caring for the child. They have to put up with the roaming hands of slobbering gits from all over the world even as they sit in the bars. They demean themselves because they need to help their families. Thai culture is such that offspring contribute to the family income and, when the parents are too old to work, take care of them. There's no welfare state to speak of here. Also, Thai culture demands that women dress and behave modestly in public. What a paradox that these women have to go away and break personal rules in order to honour their obligations to their families.

The lucky ones find what they really want; a foreign husband who treats them well, doesn't abandon them, helps them to honour their obligations to family and gives them a reasonable lifestyle. Good luck to them.

As for the guys who come here just to take advantage of these girls, well they are taking a risk these days. The trade is illegal but tolerated within bounds because of the foreign currency its earns. However, many sex tourists are perverts looking for the youngest girls of legal age, which is 18. They may check the date of birth on the ID card but those are easily forged. The penalties are severe for paedophilia.

There are many problems in Thailand but most exist only in the minds of people who judge the country by their own. However, I have a better lifestyle here than I would in the UK and more freedom to do as I please. The UK has become 'you can't do that' land. Asian countries are very different from the West and it's no good judging them by Western norms.

For those still interested in the floods, our water supply is back on so we are as normal at home. The local market town is still well under water and the main Province town, though not so badly hit (we went supermarket shopping there yesterday) is full of whingeing expats, who think that they are the only ones with problems. The flood is now extending downstream to the ancient town of Phi Mai where the Khmer temple ruins are threatened. My friend there sent his wife out shopping and was worried that the car would be submerged! We still have along way to go.

Sadly, some people have been lost in the floods. My guess is that they were throwing fishing nets in fast water or were swept away. The current has been enough to turn over a tanker on a bypass road.