Can claim to be an 8.33% Thai ex-pat, as I make an annual visit to my son in Pattaya - who has lived there for nine years.

Indeed, my avatar features a surprise 2007 visitor to his patio!

Always enjoy my month-long trips immensely, and can understand why Matthew vows never to return. When he makes his annual brief visit to his roots, his expressed wish to be 'back home' begins at the Heathrow landing!

He speaks fluent Thai, and is currently completing an intense course on the reading and writing of the language. Consequently, he has easily added dozens of Thai friends to his circle of farang acquaintances...

Surprising that more committed ex-pats don't do lkewise.

He is recognised throughout the city as "Chang Noi"!

Much enjoyed my initial browse of your excellent blog site, and can associate with many of your observations.

Specifically, agreed with your flight providers summary. I now usually fly EVA Elite class (merely for the leg room), having earlier often used China Airlines, via Birmingham and Schipol - which involved a lengthy wait in Amsterdam.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for reading the blog. I have a forum too, populated mainly by Korat people 'though it's intended for any Thailand expat. It's rather quiet at the moment after a nasty hacking attack last year. Your son might be interested in becoming the first Pattaya member:

http://www.grumpyexpat.com/forum/

I congratulate your son on being fluent in the language. I'm trying to learn more but we have a theory that wives don't want to teach us because we would hear what they all say about us. In any case, you need to learn Lao in these parts too!

• 3 years later...

I'm in Chiang Mai working.

I have actually been working here for the last 13 years & have only returned to the UK once (2002)....just never get round to it & probably wouldn't like it anyway nowadays...if what friends & family tell me is true??

• 2 weeks later...

I never really fancied Thailand, probably because I'm too lazy to learn another language, lived in Australia a number of years and now retired in Southern Missouri, where I'm very happy..

• Upvote 1

Hi Melissa, my daughter always wanted to go to Australia, so after university and on her own, she did....she travelled all over and now is working in Sydney but due back in Nottingham this Autumn.

I have so missed her but proud she turned a dream into reality

• Upvote 1

Melissa, if you go for a visit, don't go on a tourist package, YOU, choose where you want to go and what you want to see and do it that way. I lived and worked in NSW, started off in Tasmania, moved north to NSW where I lived and worked in the Wollongong area south of Sydney. Then I moved "over the hill" to Bathurst and spent several years there, commuting daily to work near Lithgow, a round trip of 100 miles.

I toured all over NSW, Victoria and South Australia during my holidays, just threw a bag in the car and set off!!

I have a cousin in Canberra, she's lived there for over 40 years now, and I have another cousin who started a winery and lives in east Gippsland of Victoria.

• Upvote 2

friend of ours was telling me on wednessday he and his wife are going on a 3 month holiday just before christmasfirst stop two weeks in new zealand 9 weeks touring aus catching up with old friends on the way finishing with1 week in tialand to unwind befor flying home to england.nice for some in it.

• Upvote 2

Wow. Hope your daughter has had a fab time. Can only imagine how much you've missed her hippo girl.

I've noted what you've said Ayupmeducks. I've heard the same thing from a few people actually!

And yes Babs. Definitely alright for some. I'm very jealous!

me too a little bit but then again as i have a snake phobia id be very relucktant to go to any country with lots of snakes . said the trip was costing about 22 thousand for both of them not sure if that includes spending money or not but know quite a few flights involved going to places like sydney perth melbourn ect

• Upvote 1

me too a little bit but then again as i have a snake phobia id be very relucktant to go to any country with lots of snakes . said the trip was costing about 22 thousand for both of them not sure if that includes spending money or not but know quite a few flights involved going to places like sydney perth melbourn ect

I don't blame your friends one bit for doing this trip. One thing's for certain, if they don't spend and enjoy their savings their kids will when they've gone!! We've never been to Australia and New Zealand and a holiday over there is on our bucket list but there has always been SOMETHING to stop us from going away for a couple of months, which is what we think we would need to really enjoy the experience. For the past few years I've had to care for my Dad, even though he remained in his own home. He passed away last year so I don't have to worry about him but there's also our dog! We're away at the moment and our little chap has been staying with a dog sitter, he'll have been there over 4 weeks by the time we get home.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to get my daughter to go to Oz when she finishes her PhD, but she wants to return to Cambodia to live. She spent about a year there and fell in love with the place. I lived in Oz for about 16 years. Still got two brothers there, but another one died as did my Mum last year aged 93.

our friend do not have children . he says know he is 68you dont know how long you have got left so he is going to do it while he can having seen him riding his bikes all these years i have to agree with him hee is a good rider but some times he is a bit mad and takes too many riskes for my liking

• Upvote 1

I've only ever been on motorbike once ....... a lad gave me a ride home from the Youth Club once. Sadly that same young man was killed soon after when he and his bike went under a lorry at the junction of Mansfield Road / Thackeray's Lane. I seem to think it was before traffic lights were erected there, it would have been early to mid 60's.

I went on plenty of scooters mid 60's though !!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

one saturday met up with an old mate who has been living in tiland for about 10 years now he is home to see his family for about a month he has just brought a bar out there.ammazing how far our biker mates are spread around the world

canada

america

brazil (jet)

austalia

newzealand

tiland .that i know of

The ship we sailed from Oz to the states on in 89 was a container ship, there was a young couple working their passage from Oz to the states.

He had a bike that had it's engine rebuilt twice already, they had biked right across Europe, through India, South East Asia, toured across Australia. They were heading to tour the states, then find a ship from NY to the UK after the tour.

Last I heard from them was they had migrated to NZ, where she was a teacher and he'd started his own Electronics business near Christchurch.