FreeView v FreeSat

Any opinions? FreeSat offers more channels, but do I really want to watch Al Jazzera or whatever it's called or The cooking channel? and how reliable or "lasting" will will it be? Any one got a Freeview box setup in a poor reception area? if so how does it cope? asking as that little tin man coming round next week to set up a system

Any opinions? FreeSat offers more channels, but do I really want to watch Al Jazzera or whatever it's called or The cooking channel? and how reliable or "lasting" will will it be? Any one got a Freeview box setup in a poor reception area? if so how does it cope? asking as that little tin man coming round next week to set up a system

Why not have both Ashley, if you have a tv with built in Freeview just get a box and a dish for Freesat and you get the best of both worlds....

Owdtite.

Only used Freeview in hotels. One significant factor to consider when buying a set-top box is the quality of the remote, some are very poor quality and the icons 'rub off'

Never used Freesat but I think this is the option if you want to use HD on your television.

Bad news Ash , Al Jazeera is on "freeview" too!! We've been solely on 'Freeview' for nearly a year now . One thing to remember though whatever system you go for , you'll have 50 odd channels at your finger tips and there'll still be nowt worth watching!!

I wont get a free sat (Or Sky either) as it's my only excuse to sneak out to the pub !! "I'm just off out to watch the footy dear !!"

Our cable system has close to 200 channels - and STILL nowt worth watching! We don't get Al-Jazeera though - actually, I wish we did, they seem to have a very different "spin" on the Arab world to the "all Muslims are terrorists and to be a terrorist you must be a Muslim" mantra we seem to be fed by US news sources!

We have an FTA (Free To Air) receiver which until June last year pirated Dish network with. No new "patches" available for Nag3 encryption since Dish/Echostar Corp went after the software writers/hackers with a vengeance. Looking around now for a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) to hook up and watch the hundreds of free channels on both the sat bands. Small dishes are OK for some satellites, but a large dish is needed for most.

I have the LNB's, problem was I didn't think I'd need my large dish again and left it in California!

• 4 weeks later...

Well that problems solved!!! ********* freeview don't work down here! 2 engineers came (2 brand new transit vans) fitted new aerial and mountings but SWR meter or whatever showed crap signals so now getting Freesat, got to wait a ****** month! am sure flat cap could do the job quicker,

Your better off with FS Ash

Already got Full HD.

All you need is a cheap Dish off ebay and a decent HD box.

Try www.Satellites.co.uk

forum_old-48.png

FREESAT

Freesat & Freesat HD support forum, the free to view freesat satellite platform for the UK from BBC & ITV.

Just re scanned my box and found 32 new channels, including

Broadcaster Vintage TV has confirmed plans to launch a new television channel devoted to music and popular culture on Sky and Freesat later in the year.

The channel, also called Vintage TV, will start broadcasting a 24-hour schedule on the satellite platforms from September 1.

Primarily aimed at the over-50 audience, programming on the channel will focus on popular culture, music, fashion and trends from the 1940s to the 1980s.

Fantastic videos of Music and news from the 60's & 70's

You can get a different angle on the news from Al-Jazeera (English)

Not just a different angle. More facts from more experts and a far more balanced presentation. We should have a law saying that a certain percentage of the news must be true like the law saying you have to ave a minimum amount of meat in a meat pie.

And politicians must tell the truth occasionally !!

"No rise in student tuition fees" 7 months later the Tories are causing riots again!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well the man came yesterday, told him somebody had tried to fit freeview,and his response was words to effect of "I'm not convinced it won't work and I'll try that first" Within an hour working perfectly! so don't know what the others were on with? His opinion was better off with Freeview anyway from the maintainence point of view? Whether that's right I don't know? but now have 30+ channels (of which about half are sh1t,lol) but more than enough for me to watch/tape and got rid of that bl00dy audio description that was driving us barmy!

Ash, I've got two good Freeview boxes going spare, anybody want one when I'm next up in Sin City?

My only problem is that the Stansted landing pattern is between me and the Sudbury transmitter, every time an aircraft comes over, the signal cuts for a few seconds, very annoying when it's important dialogue. We have a redundant Sky dish on the chimney and I've toyed with the idea of Freesat but I've been told that you can't get the 'Yesterday' channel on Freesat, is this true as I think it's the only really worthwhile channel on there.

Incidentally, have you noticed how they repeat the same films over and over again, how many times do we have to watch the remake of the 'Flight of the Phoenix', it must have been on every week for the past 5 years. Whats happened to all those 60's British 'Angry Young Man' classics such as 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning', they never show them, have Sky (spit) got all the rights to showing them as they clearly have with the original Star Trek series.

As for Al Jazeerah, I always thought their website was pretty good, I agree with Limey on that one, it's a different spin, we're being spoon fed that it's an evil site and it isn't, far from it, some very interesting perspectives on the Somali pirates too.

Pete there's nothing to stop you having Freesat and Freeview. (we also have Virgin #SPIT#)

If you already have a Sky dish just buy a cheap HD sat box from ebay, I got one for 30 quid.

If the aircraft blot out freesat your chimney pots have already gone!

Pete thanks for offer but as I said happy with freeview, will do me! glad actually that I didn't get freesat, (more channels with latter, but less of what I wanted) if you go to freesat site you'll get list of all their channels easily without any signing in, or daft follow up adverts etc

• 2 weeks later...

-------------------------

I live in Suffolk on the coast near docks and quite a way from the transmitters. Reception was unreliable, depending on weather conditions and the position of the cranes. In general, BBC channels were better than the others.

We've since switched to Freesat, reception is v. good but choice of channels is different, e.g. can't get Five USA.