Name The Coffee Bar

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me, I nev

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have

Anybody want a copy , they've left one behind!

Mind you we'd better not shout too loud about this copy as I've sold them the copyrite too and they want sole usage !! I think I have at least one other picture (I always take 3 ) of them so if there's a problem I can replace this with one of the others!

There was a cofee bar just off Hockley,Kenya,popular with the Mod crowd,was it on Stoney st?

I remember it, I recall it was on the same street as the Angel Inn? They served frothy coffee in glass cups & saucers, very trendy, but it always felt like a 'Jazz' place, lots of Beatniks etc polo necks, duffle coats, corduroy 'keks' & beards !rotfl!

• 6 months later...

"There was another one on the 2nd floor of a building just past there in the Lace Market but the name and location evades me."

I wrote about this ages ago but I can't find it now. We used to go to the BO, (not B.O.) at the top of Victoria Street just down from where that Wetherspoons is now. That was up 2 flights of stairs, and I sometimes think how glad I am that it never caught fire. The woman who ran it was dark and mediterranean looking, with long hair, but she was no spring chicken. She always had good music on, sometimes a bit classical, at least I thought so at 15 or 16.

I heard Paul Smith saying on Radio Nottm that he used to go there, but he is older than me and I would not remember him anyway. I'm glad someone else remembers it though.

'Bodega', wasn't that a pub on Pelham st'?

Yes it was...the only coffee bar I remember on a second floor in the Lace Market was the Bohemian.Belvedere was run by Albert and Marylin...and she was blonde.

The Paprika Pancake House was up two flights of stairs in the Lace Market. It was owned by the guy who ran ther El Toreador on Burton Street. We used to call him Creeping Jesus on account of his beard.

"There was another one on the 2nd floor of a building just past there in the Lace Market but the name and location evades me."

I wrote about this ages ago but I can't find it now. We used to go to the BO, (not B.O.) at the top of Victoria Street just down from where that Wetherspoons is now. That was up 2 flights of stairs, and I sometimes think how glad I am that it never caught fire. The woman who ran it was dark and mediterranean looking, with long hair, but she was no spring chicken. She always had good music on, sometimes a bit classical, at least I thought so at 15 or 16.

I heard Paul Smith saying on Radio Nottm that he used to go there, but he is older than me and I would not remember him anyway. I'm glad someone else remembers it though.

Ah, just thought...was it "The Bohemian"/

• 2 months later...

Thought it was Goldsmith St, but maybe I'm wrong too.

Katyjay, you're probably correct, I went on Google Maps last night, all up/down Shakespeare street, recognised nothing, I'll have another 'butchers' at Goldsmith tonight. The son of our English Teacher worked in the place, name of Welton first name unknown.............but when I was next in school the Mr Welton sked me why I was frequenting such a 'bohemian haunt'.............weren't grown ups strange!! :unsure:

If I remember correctly, it was on the same side as the old playhouse and further on towards the Arboretum. Someone I knew called it The Hairy Legs, cos it was always open!

now which brief encounterdo you mean nottingham canal st castle bulivard area or the brief encounter skeggy chip alley still a cafe after all these years and still called the brief encounter back in the sixtiesfrequented by the rockersused to be two small rooms now one long room we were told that under all the wood cladding are still all the signatures we used to put on the painted wall ours under there somewere.

• Upvote 1