Name The Coffee Bar

Have we covered Greasy Lil's ( as we knew it in the late 70's )...24 hour cafe round the back of Vic Center ?....dunno what it was called...sh1t'ole of a place but gave us somewhere to go at night...think it was connected to a Taxi place next door or a couple of doors away ????

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me, I nev

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have

'L' shaped room, coffee bar in shakespeare street, 60's?? or was I dreaming?

L Shape was Goldsmith Street on the left leaving town...just before the junction with Shakespeare street.There was a confectioners shop opposite on the corner of both.All gone now.

Like a lot of coffee bars the cops gradually got them closed down...they didn't like them being open all hours.So what did the kids do?...They went in the pubs and clubs instead.Brilliant idea that was wasn't it? Instead of spending the night drinking coffee and Coke they're all rolling about drunk nowadays.

It was run by Mick and Dave...they opened another in Skeggy.Dave was an amateur rugby player in his twenties, and just dropped dead in the middle of a game...shocked us all.At that age death wasn't even thought about.

• 2 weeks later...

Have we covered Greasy Lil's ( as we knew it in the late 70's )...24 hour cafe round the back of Vic Center ?....dunno what it was called...sh1t'ole of a place but gave us somewhere to go at night...think it was connected to a Taxi place next door or a couple of doors away ????

It was on Huntingdon street and the taxi firm was MMD.

went for a job at that taxi firm 1975, met the owner (think he was Irish?) in that cafe, at time had a cortina GT (near new) he said I'd do well as a executive hire car, but the ( had to be paid for by me) insurance put a stop to that idea!

• 7 months later...

Katyjay, you're probably correct, I went on Google Maps last night, all up/down Shakespeare street, recognised nothing, I'll have another 'butchers' at Goldsmith tonight. The son of our English Teacher worked in the place, name of Welton first name unknown.............but when I was next in school the Mr Welton sked me why I was frequenting such a 'bohemian haunt'.............weren't grown ups strange!! :unsure:

He was my Dad. I am that son, Steve. Didn't work there but frequented it - lived above in a flat on top floor.

My Dad thought it it was bohemian............. It could be described as that I suppose.

He was my Dad. I am that son, ...

BRILLIANT!

He was my Dad. I am that son, Steve. Didn't work there but frequented it - lived above in a flat on top floor.

My Dad thought it it was bohemian............. It could be described as that I suppose.

Hi Steve, I had the greatest respect for your dad, a real teacher with good sense of humour, unfortunately I often acted like an 'oaf' (your dad's word) in his classes............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've just joined NOTTSTALGIA and started a FORUM about the BOHEMIAN COFFEE BAR, Fletcher Gate. I did not know about THIS Forum , so maybe you will check out my postings? Graham who owned the BO did indeed look like Jesus and his helper was ELKI who was either German or Austrian, I have a feeling that the PAPRIKA Pancake House replaced the BO in the same location, but I am awaiting a call from a friend who might remember more clearly than I.

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve, I had the greatest respect for your dad, a real teacher with good sense of humour, unfortunately I often acted like an 'oaf' (your dad's word) in his classes............

Paulus thanks for that!! I think he made a difference to some people.

You might have acted like an oaf but I truly was one so he knew what he was talking about.

• 6 months later...

No one seems to have mentioned Stan's Cafe in Netherfield. It was the place to be seen back in the late fifties and early sixties. First visit and I put three thruppenny bits in the machine and racked up so many points that Stan came over with three packs of cigarettes. Totally stunned me as I didn't smoke and wasn't expecting anything other than a free game. Good incentive though as I, and mates , returned very frequently.

Was it on Chandos or Forester Street went there to about 196364.?

The michines were like pinball machines with lots of holes that the balls fell into & you had to light up a line of numbers on the display panel & you could, buy extra balls too.

Yes you are right, they were pin ball machines. As I recall it from a great distance in time and relative distance in time, it seems that I approached it from Gedling, over the railway crossing and into nether field to somewhere close to the Co-op and then, turned right and Stan's was on the right hand side about four or five doors along. The road ahead then swung to the left and up and over the rail lines. It then dropped down and swung to the right where my favourite book shop as to be found. It was a small shop with a window display of nothing but second hand paperbacks but it was better than ten movies to me. I spent as much time as possible in that small shop of wonders. I have been an avid sponge where books are concerned and it was there that I bought the first copy of "Crow Killer""the saga of Liver-eating Johnson" amongst many other books. This particular book has been loaned out on so many occasions that I have lost track. In fact I have read this book over seven times as each time I want to read it I have to buy it again as its never ever returned when its loaned out.

I know that I am "off-thread" with this but the book obviously made a great impression on me. I tracked down so much of Johnsons life when on holiday's in the western States and have now got the records of his military life, death certificate and even managed to contact Dewey Vanderhoff the official photographer of Johnsons re-burial after being "dug up" and buried out in Old Trail Town outside of Cody Wyoming where one of the pall-bearers was Robert redford.

Scan6_zpsd44a61b5.jpeg

sorry that this was so off-thread. If one of the Moderators feels that this should be moved then let it be so.

Mattsdigs have posted a follow up to this Crow Killer story on the Reading Owt Good thread .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11745&page=4#entry205615

• 1 month later...

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of times. We all seemed to be clones of each other. Long hair (Cathy McGowan style)' Bell bottoms, white tights, jockey caps, daisy earrings fur coats black patent boots and coats etc. nights out at the Beachcomber (saw Jimmi Hendix there)all nighters at the Sherwood room etc: Fabulous times. I also remember the Nottingham group the Children. Steve Taylor's father used to keep The Wheatsheaf in Cropwell Bishop.

• Upvote 3

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me,

I never did get to take you home

• Upvote 2

Welcome Dido I remember the L with great fondness. Remember Sutch (Clive) and meeting up on our scooters on Slab Square...........

• 2 years later...

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have a Bacon Sandwich then'............bless him......lol.

• Upvote 2