Name The Coffee Bar

There was a coffee bar opposite the Elite on Parliament Street in the '60's which was our Saturday morning haunt. I can't remember the name but it was suitably Italian. One day Susan Maugham walked in followed by some scruffy hangers on. It was OK most other days, though. We sat in the back room and drank Russian tea to show that we were really trendy. The latest hits would be on the juke box but, I'm happy to be able to say, never 'Bobby's Girl'.

Anyone else remember it and the name?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me, I nev

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have

I wasn't quite old enough to be in coffee bars in the 60s as a teenager, but there was one I remember going in with my parents when I were a lad. Capoccis

It fits the description of being "opposite the Elite", and was suitably Italian (at least by name). Maybe this is another, as well as the Don Juan

And just to prove I didn't dream it.........Capoccis

• Like 1

Wasn't it Capocci's - high stools at the window looking across to the Elite?

Don Juan was '63-'64. What dates were Capocci's? Perhaps it changing its name. For a reason that I don't remember we stopped going there so it may have been restyled.

think Capoccis was nearer the theatre....at one time it was maxines salad bar....don juan must have been nearer trinity walk........

You might've missed the picture link I posted earlier in this thread; if that photo continued further left the next thing you'd see would be the theatre. (You can just see the pub on the corner - now called Langtry's)

The picture does raise a "chicken and egg" question - did they pick the name to fit the windows, or the windows to fit the name? rolleyes.gif

You might've missed the picture link I posted earlier in this thread; if that photo continued further left the next thing you'd see would be the theatre. (You can just see the pub on the corner - now called Langtry's)

Cheers for the pertinent links you often provide CT. Picture the Past is a superb site but I note you seem to have some great images from elsewhere so thanks for them.

PS the pub on the corner is The Turf Tavern. Adjoined next door and just around the corner is Langtry's (formerly The Peach Tree.

Never realised till I saw the above pic, that Capocci's building was so modern compared to the rest of the row. I wonder if they had the fascia altered or it was a modern building to replace the old one. If so, wonder what was there before that warranted it being pulled down?

I just looked on street view, it's now called Ca occi.

It was also called Maxines, any other names?

The name was obviously chosen because it fitted the number of squares on the walls - like Capocci They were stuffed if the owner's wife had been called Sue

maxines.jpg

Never realised till I saw the above pic, that Capocci's building was so modern compared to the rest of the row. I wonder if they had the fascia altered or it was a modern building to replace the old one. If so, wonder what was there before that warranted it being pulled down?

Almost an answer to your question......just creeping in to the right edge of this 1950s photo is what is obviously the "old" Capocci's building. Note the lack of squares.

oldcapocci.jpg

I think the Don became a shoe shop ?....the cafe was very narrow and the back room was where we all went to chill.I must have been about 12 at the time but what an introduction to life !!!!!!!can remember Sutch and beatnick Dave

Maybe it's the original Capocci's you can remember Chrissie. imsorry

It appears the earlier Capocci's building (right) bought next door and the two were rebuilt as they are now.

mmmmpp.jpg

I noticed the long top window, maybe it was a lace workers house originally.

I noticed the long top window, maybe it was a lace workers house originally.

And if my memory is stil working, the smaller building to the right of the lace workers house is what was Briddocks newsagents. An amazing place inside, totally piled high to the ceiling with newspapers and magazines from all over the world. They seemed to have everything which had ever been printed. I never understood how anyone could find anything in there; it was like going into a junk room which hadn't been opened for years.