Name The Coffee Bar

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone remember the L shaped room coffee bar on Goldsmith street? I also remember 'Sutch' as he was usually to be found in the market square with all the Mods. I really do think we had the best of

I thought you'd listen to my reason but now I see, you don't hear a thing,try to make you see, how it's got to be, yes it's all, all or nothiny yeah yeah, all or nothing all or nothing, for me, I nev

I think it was Maxines' that was a Vegetarian cafe,............took my Dad in and he asked for a sausage Cob........after telling him 'No Dad,its a Vegetarian Cafe'..............he said 'ok,i'll have

They had paper from half the Brazillian Rain Forest in there...solid old victorian buildings...in this pic Capoccis is a typical sixties build....it looks like it's ready to fall down......Scruffy looking dump.I can't understand how they got planning for a building that doesn't fit in with it's neighbours....Having said that,let's face it they ruined Nottingham in the sixties...And we let 'em do it.

kggftr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being taken to a coffee bar that served expresso coffee in the little glass cups near to the Council House, on the same side as the Flying Horse

Looking on Google Street View it was either where Birds are now or Costas I thought that was Capoccis but I was only 7 or 8 so could be wrong!

Always went there after shopping in Burtons.....under the Council House, just loved that shop, used to think they made wagon Wheels there!!!!!

Always had a coke in a glass bottle with a striped straw and a roll and butter while mum & dad had coffees

Everytime I hear an expresso machine the memories of the 60s in Nottingham come flooding back, just wish sometimes I had been a little bit older so i could have experiece those bands and especially the Beatles

I don't remember a coffee bar in that location.I certainly never went in it,maybe it was in the later years after I started using pubs instead.

My earliest coffee bar days were in the '49' Burton Street with the Toreador next door.Occasional visits to the Bamboo on Mansfield Road,

and the Don Juan opposite the Elite. Coffee was 10d and a bottle of Coke a shilling.

Was it Jules et Jim?(sp) on Stoney Street? I never rated the place it was more a haunt of students.There was another one on the 2nd floor of a building just past there in the Lace Market but the name and location evades me.

When the '49' became the Blade Club I gradually drifted down the road to the 'L' Shaped Room on Goldsmith Street,then stopped using them completely.

There was a place in the Lace Market called The Paprika Pancake House, it was on the second floor. It was owned by the same chap who ran the Toreador. It opened in early 1964.

I have a feeling if someone mentioned the name I would know it...that doesn't ring bells...I wonder if it had another name in earlier years?

The only pancake house I ever saw was in Leicester near the station.An American idea that never really caught on...wonder why? Pizza parlours did.

International House of Pancakes (IHOP)

does very well in the US, but their meals include Steak etc, with Pancake and syrup sides.

Good value too. But IMO would not do well here due to British perception of a 'Pancake house'??

Yep the British and American idea of a "pancake" are very different. IHOP is widely regarded as a bit of a joke over here, although they have tried to clean up their image and opened a lot of new restaurants in the past few years. Unfortunately the quality is so-so and the prices are high. If you want good (American) pancakes at a fair price find a local diner or "Coney Island" - always the best places for breakfast!

For the uninitiated, American "pancakes" are thick and, ideally, fluffy - typically about 1/4" thick and range in size from about 3" in diameter (Dollar pancakes) to about 10". A "Short stack" is typically two or three and a full stack five or six. Served with butter and Maple syrup and often accompanied by fruit, bacon or sausage. They come in several varieties too - blueberry, wheat, and buttermilk to name a few. The best pancakes in North America are available at Parker's Maple Barn - but get there early, the wait can be up to two hours!

LOL - judging from the news from East Midlands Airport, there may be a short delay at customs!

Pretty funny to be seeing Castle Donnington on the US news though!

Funny coincidence, I've just made a batch of "Pancake mix" for our breakfast tomorrow (Scotish pancakes or drop scones are the thick ones , made with self raising flour as opposed to plain)

Incedently what price is petrol over there now ? it's past 5 quid a gallon here now (£1.17p a litre= £5.31 a gallon or $8.51 for a UK gallon)

There was a place in the Lace Market called The Paprika Pancake House, it was on the second floor. It was owned by the same chap who ran the Toreador. It opened in early 1964.

remember the pancake house well, but now wondering which building it was in down hockley ?

It was $2.77 at our local "cheapo" station this morning - translates to about $3.32 for a "real" gallon, or about two quid/gallon!

There used to be a coffee bar somewhere near the top of Hockley called the Bohemian about 1959/60

I knew I'd know it....Bohemian...that's the one I was trying to remember.

I wish to hell I could get fuel at Yankee prices....Rule Brittannia....taxed to hell.

Oh I dunno - yep the fuel is cheap, but in Michigan at least, the roads are cr@p. I would happily pay a few more cents/gallon in tax to get decent roads. Unfortunately, tax over here is considered a mortal sin - they would rather have lousy roads and services than pay the tax, then moan about how bad things are!

Bottom line, by the time we have paid for everything your taxes pay for, it is about the same!

And according to the sign next door Tom Anderson's tripe.

I'm not sure he'd agree.

DJ.

• 3 months later...

I remember the coffee bar & taking a girl that was in there to the movies that only showed cartoons she paid i was broke

cant remember the name of it though,

It was around 1964

I remember a guy named Sutch that seemed to be always in there, It was a Mod place but i was a Rocker

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

See that picture 3 posts above of the Drop Scones ?

I'VE JUST SOLD IT !!!!!

To some AMERICAN culinary magazine !!