Quoting the previous post

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what Mick has missed pointing out, this site is not on a free server, Mick has to pay, the larger the data file, the more it will cost to keep up and running, hence the "Please don't quote" ru

Many forums will probably purge older topic to cut down on the size of their database. The whole point of this forum is that the older the post, the more important it is.

If the man with deep pockets 'aint moaning - why are you?    

Posted Images

Follow on from

Nottingham...

Thank you Mick, I Have Got It !!!

I will let you rest for a while now!

OOPs, it's come on Highlighted? Don't know what I did wrong?

You copied and pasted the text (and background colour)

Before posting...

CTRL + A, Highlights all text

Hit the little Eraser icon 2nd from left (Remove Text Format)

and post

• Upvote 1

When you copy and past 'Rich text' it also copies all of the text attributes.

Text colour

Text size

Text Font

Background colour

Any embedded links

The 'remove format' tool removes all but embedded links.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Needs a bump.

I have noticed a few member quoting previous quotes time and time again in the same thread.

And two members doing it one after the other.

There is good reason for this rule. Our database is not unlimited.

REMINDER

This is to allow us room to have every post online since 2004

This is exactly what will take up out database space and force us to take older posts offline.

Massive quote and one word reply!

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

I agree with Lizzie the 60's were great times, I was allowed to play out on the streets or the fields without my parents worrying if l would be safe or not. Cycling where ever l fancied without having to worry about motor vehicles, less cars on the roads then, going to a youth club, England winning the world cup and when l got older and finished my homework girls, girls and more girls. Being a Mod and my first made to measure suit from Burtons for £10

But it wasn't all wonderful l remember walking to school in the smog, no central heating, fitted carpets or telephone, running out of 1/- for the electric meter and sitting in the dark. Itchy blankets and sheets and sharing a bed with 5 siblings. The big freeze of 63, corporal punishment at school, Chaucer Street dentist and the Skegness Hoilday Home.

And Nationally, Riots in Norther Ireland, Racial Discrimination, the pound devalued, drugs, the pill thus increasing sexual transmitted diseases and there must be a lot more.

Still a great era.

Precisely !

• 2 weeks later...

Overquoting has is now getting out of hand.

Reading some threads it is now constant from some members who should know better!

Newbies can be excused, until they get the hang of it..

If this continues I will put accounts into moderate status, which mean your post will only appear when a moderator gets time to read and approve it.

Those who abuse the quote facility damage our ability to keep all our posts online.

If you do nor want your posts deleting do not abuse the quote facility.

• Upvote 2

Some are taking the pi$$!

We only have two rules here, and I tried to get along without any.

1.Be Nice.

2.Do not fill our database with unnecessary quotes.

• Upvote 2

First of all let me admit to being about 10% computer literate yada and to admiring our controllers for the work they do so well; let me also admit to my adherence to the saying, 'If all else fails, read the instructions'. I've no doubt this has all been dealt with elsewhere in the annals and I won't use the 'Quote' facility again, but can I ask, what is it for and if it causes problems, why have it?

There is nothing wrong with using the quote facility, to bring back author and SELECTED TEXT from earlier pages.

Press Quote button and edit out unnecessary content.

Ensure your cursor is below the quote box before typing your reply.

or your reply will become part of the quote, and it will look like your post is just a quote,

Alternately, use the post number in your reply...

ie.

"Tomlinson... #65, thank you"

It looks like I was the main offender yesterday due to ignorance .I've been using and running forums for probably 15 years and have never seen a forum where quoting(other than pictures) was considered a problem so I've just posted as everyone does on every other forum I'm a member of. I did wonder why people used post numbers instead of quotes, particularly when it means sometimes going back a page to find out what they are referring to, but just assumed it was their way. Now that it's been pointed out I will, of course, only quote in the way outlined in this thread. I would suggest as this forum is the exception rather than the rule that new members are specifically steered towards this thread when they join as people who use other forums are likely to 'misbehave' in the same way I have.

• Upvote 1

Many forums will probably purge older topic to cut down on the size of their database.

The whole point of this forum is that the older the post, the more important it is.

• Upvote 4

I think what Mick has missed pointing out, this site is not on a free server, Mick has to pay, the larger the data file, the more it will cost to keep up and running, hence the "Please don't quote" rule, unless it's absolutelly necessary.

I think some of the older posts could be removed, like the games, once they are two years old, they serve no purpose that the site was set up for. There may also be a few fun threads that serve no historical point, and could be deleted.

• Upvote 4

I am one of the big users of the 'Word Games' etc. I do think they use a lot of space, particlarly now as we have 5 different ones. Those of us who participate really enjoy the speed challenge and just the communication it gives us. There is, as I imagine not a lot of gain in keeping them on the records. If it would help, why not clear them each week, removing the clutter and opening up more space. Of course, I don't know if that is making to much work for you leaders. If so I do apologise.

• Upvote 2

The word games are not particularly a problem.

Single words do not take up much space.

They keep members active.

Word content assists us with Google rating

Repeated blocks of text

Take up our database

Reduce our Google rating.

Annoy people, particularly me.

If you really want to pi$$ me off.

Find a particularly large post. Ideally at the very end of a thread so that you are quoting the post immediately above. that people have already read.

Quote it it in full

Add a one word reply... a Good example would be "Lol"

Believe me people do it?

Result?...

post-1-0-07824600-1421497919_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2