Quoting the previous post

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what Mick has missed pointing out, this site is not on a free server, Mick has to pay, the larger the data file, the more it will cost to keep up and running, hence the "Please don't quote" ru

Many forums will probably purge older topic to cut down on the size of their database. The whole point of this forum is that the older the post, the more important it is.

If the man with deep pockets 'aint moaning - why are you?    

Posted Images

The "Quote" function is part of the sites software script, only the authors of the software have that ability to remove the quote. ie access to the software, not the product.

• Upvote 1

Please note what mick said. It's still happening.

There is nothing wrong with using the quote facility, to bring back author and SELECTED TEXT from earlier pages.

Press Quote button and edit out unnecessary content.

Ensure your cursor is below the quote box before typing your reply.

or your reply will become part of the quote, and it will look like your post is just a quote,

Alternately, use the post number in your reply...

ie.

"Tomlinson... #65, thank you"

It's because it's the normal thing on every forum other than this one. I really have to stop myself doing what is natural everywhere else and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Maybe we could all chip in a quid or two so the storage space isn't a problem. TBH I've never seen such a low limit and normally it's bandwidth that costs. For example, $20 a month gets 2GB of storage against the 500MB that Mick quotes as available here. I'm pretty sure if it's the cost we'd all be supportive then it won't be a problem to quote rather than reference posts by number which is, frankly, a bit odd.

Most forums remove older threads and posts to reduce the storage of unwanted data, on a site like this it would be removing history, a thing Mick doesn't want.

Every Nottingham thread is memories, history and needs to be preserved for future generations, hence the reluctance to remove data, so the request not to quote which is really unwanted data in the hosts drives.

Of course older threads need to be maintained, which is why a 500MB limit is problematic. Eventually that won't be enough storage simply for important historical threads, but it is a forum not just a repository so functionality matters too. Why not solve both problems with larger storage. 2GB now probably costs less than the 500MB did when Mick started the site. Heck, these days with 150MB broadband, hosting on your own server is easy enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I realise it's got nothing to do with me but it does irritate me. Despite so many posts from mick2me, and others, requesting Members not to do it, they still are. I think that the culprits should receive a polite reminder from a Moderator and if they persist then their post will be deleted. They'll soon get the message.

If it's any consolation Michael, in recent weeks I've personally deleted a fair number of examples of unnecessary quoting; otherwise you'd be seeing even more.

But in this example I think it's ok.

The comment there is referring to a photo which was 18 posts further back in the thread, and there had been 3 additional images since the photo appeared; so it wouldn't have been apparent what was being referred to. In that case, I don't see any problem in repeating the photo, otherwise it becomes difficult to understand the point of the post.

• Upvote 1

Its not a matter of cost its a matter of Database size, repeat posting of images is not such a problem.

Its quoting massive posts and just adding a short or one word reply!

We are not like any other forum. we want to keep the oldest posts online for future readers.

New members can be excused for so long.

I dont see why mods like Cliff should spend their time editing posts to take out unnecessary quotes.

PUSH THE DELETE BUTTON. Delete the whole post. We can also remove reputation points!

The last resort can be member put in Moderation status. Your post may (or may not) appear only if a moderator gets time?

Its a rule here, dont like it? Dont Post.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw the request and have as far as possible I have avoided this, but I also expressed my opinion in that post (wherever that was).

Hitting the reply button to answer the last post is NOT the problem. It is hitting the reply button to answering the post 15 posts before, that is the problem.

Some responses can be from posts years old, because someone was just browsing and found something interesting to answer. Well, there is no point answering because the person who wrote the post will never know.

There is no continuous thread. The person you are responding to will never know you have responded unless he scrolls down a forum he answered 10 days ago and checks out his number of the post and reviews it so he can remember what he said.

A quote is notified to the original poster. Otherwise he never knows he had a response.

It's pure logic to be able to do this and one assumes that is why the feature is there.

It is untterly illogical tp provide such a feature and then complain whenever it is used.

Solution:

Either remove it, or stop complaining, otherwise it will arise over and over again with new members, who don't know not to use the feature provided.

I have not been amember long, but have already found several "responses" by accident...where people has just hit the reply.

There is no problem with using the 'Quote' button to reply to something which was posted some time earlier in the thread. Otherwise it is difficult or complicated to answer a post when there are several other posts in between.

The problem is that some people are using the 'Quote' button to reply to the most recent post. This means that every time someone replies to something, the post to which they are replying is repeated. That will result in everything appearing twice appearing twice. So the database will fill up at double its previous rate, which causes another problem.

Its quoting massive posts and just adding a short or one word reply!

The last resort can be member put in Moderation status. Your post may (or may not) appear only if a moderator gets time? Its a rule here, dont like it? Dont Post.

Maybe the option of Notify me when someone quotes my posts needs to be disabled by someone with relevant admin powers.

As an alternative, there is an option of 'Follow this topic' available on all individual threads, where you can be notified whenever someone replies to a thread you are following (which could be ones in which you have posted).

• Upvote 1

To add a bit of humour to this unfortunate situation:

I have just been speaking to a service technician regarding a problem where my car's cruise control has not worked since a new clutch was fitted.

His educated response was " We always tell people not to use the cruise control to avoid getting probems"

Any of you who had ever had to return a pair of faulty shoes, will recall the indignant

"we can't do anything about that. You have been wearing them"

Oh dear boy, I could weep !

Such fun !

#95 Cliff Ton,

"Follow this thread" is not really a solution.

To be fair you would have to do that to every thing you ever posted to see what was new.

You might as well resign yourself to reading all and every post for everything.

Someone responded to a post i made earlier this week. However, I did not know the 'query' was for me, because it was not the next post and the writer did not mention my name. Consequently, I thought it was for someone else, until I received a PM. (Which is not usual procedure.)

• 2 years later...

In other words, we're well and truly f, sorry, stuffed !

• Like 3