Part of the railway bridge on Highbury Road near the market fell onto the tracks, I remember one way traffic while it was mended. I am not sure if it was the bridge structure or just the parapet that fell. I was at school at the time and I think there was some damage to the Art Room wall.

The Notts quake was nowt compared to the ones here

Funny how i missed them both first one i was in my boat on the Sacramento river & next time was up in the air having flying lesson

My wife said Jammibogger

• 6 years later...

I can remember ,I was at my Aunties house at the time,everything started shaking...furniture,ornaments,and my Auntie,she was screaming and I thought the house was falling down,I didn't want to go to her house for a while ,I thought it was her fault...well I was only 8 at the time.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Think mentioned this before,, but i'll do it again because i found it funny,, 

I was at school upstairs having Art and craft lesson (which i hated ) the whole building shook for a few seconds,, our teacher Mr Yarwood (great bloke) shouted ''Don't Panic''.........then promptly legged it out the door and down the stairs........bless him.............lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

our teacher Mr Yarwood (great bloke) shouted ''Don't Panic''.........then promptly legged it out the door and down the stairs.....

Maybe he had a date after school :) 

The Evening Post archives don't reach up to 1957 yet but these other regional papers say the quake hit at 3.44p.m. in Nott'm .

ALARM CALLS AT ONE A MINUTE TOWNS and villages in 11 English counties felt the shock of an earth tremor yesterday at about 3.45 p.m. 
Hundreds of houses were damaged, several people injured .......
12 February 1957 - Birmingham Daily Post 

Many Anxious Inquiries A distinct earth tremor was felt by several business people In the centre of Liverpool about 
3.45 pm. People working In offices in the city telephoned the Liverpool Echo anxiously ...... 

The quake shook Nottingham at about 3.44 pm . Almost immediately a Nottingham telephone exchange was swamped with emergency calls. 
One of the first Nottingham reports was a chimney stack collapsing . In West Bridgford a housewife said all her pots and pans had been thrown off her pantry shelf. The tremor was particularly bad in the Hucknall district . The tremor hit Lincoln at about the same time .

11 February 1957 - Liverpool Echo - Liverpool, Lancashire, England

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1