hasn't this been covered before? anyway it was certainly felt at claremont primary school late morning as I recall? we thought a train crash in GCR tunnel which ran near the school there was also an aftershock early hours of next day which woke me

I was at school, it was a German lesson, we had a young German teacher as well as the regular teacher. She looked really terrified, maybe it reminded her of the war. As well as the floor shaking, the rugby posts on the school field parted.

No don't recall it, but I did see a show on TV a couple of years back on Europe's "Big One". Seems there's a major fault line stretching from the UK through France and Germany quite capable of wreaking havoc as large as the San Andreas fault. This fault has moved big time in medieval times when it caused large scale damage and deaths. All forgotten and built over with large cities like Hanover.

It has been estimated hundreds of thousand would die today should the fault move on the same scale of the last earthquake across Europe.

Not sure if I Googled the fault or not, but the show was an eyeopener!!

The earthquake you're on about John killed around 80,000 people in Southern Portugal in 1755 . Some say more some say less. The city of Lisbon was more or less destroyed in the quake, along with a lot of coastal towns and fishing villages that they never bothered to rebuild. I visited areas of the devastation in around 2001 and believe it or not some of the rubble is still there!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azores-Gibraltar_Transform_Fault

Back to the original post , it has been discussed on here somewhere, I remember my mum telling us about the machines in the place where she was working going sliding across the room

I remember it. We were in the woodwork class at the time and assumed it was a heavy lorry rattling the building as it passed. I was later told that it was an Italian earthquake. I don't remember them compensating us. Bloody foreigners.

All I can say is it wasn't my fault!

The earthquake you're on about John killed around 80,000 people in Southern Portugal in 1755 . Some say more some say less. The city of Lisbon was more or less destroyed in the quake, along with a lot of coastal towns and fishing villages that they never bothered to rebuild. I visited areas of the devastation in around 2001 and believe it or not some of the rubble is still there!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azores-Gibraltar_Transform_Fault

Back to the original post , it has been discussed on here somewhere, I remember my mum telling us about the machines in the place where she was working going sliding across the room

No way before that Ian, and it's a major fault from way east of Germany through into the UK.

It was in the 15th century no 16th.

But likely the 1957 one was on or around the same fault line.

Did you bother to read either of those links ??

Yes, but they deal with a fault line hundreds of miles south of the major European faults. The documentary I watched was regarding a major "east west" fault that cuts across heavily populated areas of Germany, France and into the UK. Portugal and Gibraltar are way south of that fault line.

At the time of the big quake, sometime in the 1400's it devastated a "large" city where today a major heavily populated city sits in Germany.

I'll see if I can locate any information on it later when I have some time.

A lot of seismic events actually happening in Lancs, Yorks, Notts and Derbyshire can be attributed to strata settling due to heavy coal mining activities in those areas in the last century.

Remember it well. I was in a history class at the time. Seemed to be a loud rumbling and the telephone poles outside the classroom windows were shaking.

Often wondered what it must have been like for those down the pit. We were not far from Gedling colliery. Thankfully I did not hear of it causing any problems down there.

Any of you miners on here have any feedback on this?

• 3 weeks later...

In common with just about every poster, I was also sat behind a school desk - in the middle of an exam!

Certainly quite alarming, worsened by the fact that it was everyone's first 'quake experience.

The shake of around 4/5? years ago, which epicentered beneath Long Clawson, was perhaps felt even more strongly (and of longer duration) here, than I recall of the '57 event at Bestwood. Was sat at home beneath a very heavy book-case, which shook violently!...a few more notches on the Richter, and I'd have been the famous sole fatality.

Cheers

Robt P.