• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked up this thread. I well remember Bales ice cream, at one time the only one that came round the Bells Lane Estate. I say came round, in fact he always parked his motorcycle combination on Be

I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been g

I'm replying to my own mail because I forgot to mention that the sirname of my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was Allington. They had a son, John, and both he and his dad worked down the mines.

Pearces ice cream I remember well from the '50's. A vehicle, perhaps it was a Landy, with a trailer would pull up outside our house regularly in the summer. I think that the livery as pale orange and cream.

Here you go Froggy, Have a Happy Memory on me, or should I say my dad !!

Norbett Road Arnold in the 50's

pearcesicecream_zps14e78bc6.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

in netherfield bamfprds dairy next to lindas toy shop used to make lovely ice cream that too had little bitts of ice in 3p i think and penny suckers orange or blackcurant flavours and of course jublies.

when mr whippys ice cream men came down the st i would think mid to late 50s as soon as our dog kim used to hear the chimes he would be down at the bottom of the terraceand sit and wait for him to get there the driver would always make him a cone and some one would give it hi8m to lick but if no one was around he would drop it on the pavement for him to lick up he was always first at the van

On the corner of Farleys lane and Park Drive Hucknall there used to be a place called Parletts Corner which was an ice cream shop/someones kitchen. I think it was at number 43. Two houses, 43a and 43b farleys lane were then built on this land along with marie gardens. All I know about Parletts corner was that it was owned by 2 sisters (parlett??) Anyone know more?

When I was around 8-9, one of our neighbours was a Mr Whippy driver/salesman, when he used to come home after doing his round on the weekend, he would give all us kids a free 99 !

Word traveled quickly and before long there would be a queue of kids, some from not even from our road :-)

We used to call him uncle stan.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Just picked up this thread. I well remember Bales ice cream, at one time the only one that came round the Bells Lane Estate. I say came round, in fact he always parked his motorcycle combination on Bells Lane, at its junction with Dulverton Vale. His son Fred was then a conductor on the No.22 service (and probably the No.1 and No.7 also). He eventually took over his dad's ice cream round, but had a van. No musical chimes in those days, just a couple of paps on the van's hooter.

• Upvote 2

Chulla, did we have Pearces ice cream van come on our street? That name rings a bell (or should I say chimes) I seem to remember 2 coming round on a Sunday afternoon, one being Walls, which if course was pre-formed blocks for wafers or cornets, but much creamier than the other seller's.

Yes, we did have Pearce's ice cream van come round, but Bales was the first, though he did not come round the Circus. Old man BaIes' combo (BSA sloper, I think) had two tubs with the ice cream in. All was prepared by hand, that is, he hand-filled the cornets and the sandwiches. I cannot remember him selling suckers. I always thought that Pearce's ice cream was the best. Its suckers certainly were - you could suck them and they did not turn to clear ice, as other's did.

I remember seeing a lad come out of the shop on the opposite corner to the Barleycorn with a cornet in each hand and run across the road to the wood yard. When he got to the other side the two dollops of ice cream were lying in the middle of the road. I also saw a lad get a cornet from Harry Mando's van at Basford Crossings, take a lick and throw it way!

• Upvote 1

#32. Having thunk a little more about this, I think it was Les Bales, not Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

#21 Paulus. I remember well Frederici's ice cream being sold outside the gates of the infants/junior boys gate at William Crane school in the early 1950s. It was from a horse and cart (two large wheels) and was inhabited by a rather large, foreign-looking, swarthy lady. When the lads took the mickey out of her she would lean out of the window and lash out with her whip. Women do this nowadays, so I'm told, but under different circumstances!

• Upvote 1

#21 Paulus. I remember well Frederici's ice cream being sold outside the gates of the infants/junior boys gate at William Crane school in the early 1950s. It was from a horse and cart (two large wheels) and was inhabited by a rather large, foreign-looking, swarthy lady. When the lads took the mickey out of her she would lean out of the window and lash out with her whip. Women do this nowadays, so I'm told, but under different circumstances!

I vaguely remember this from my W.Crane days and the name, 'Tilley's Ices' sticks in my mind. There was also a rumour that she did unsavoury thing in her ice cream. Not true I'm sure.

• 1 month later...

When I was a kid and staying with my Grandma & Grandad in 'Huckna' 

we used to have 'Buckley's' ice cream- gorgeous!

I remember Buckleys ice cream van. 'Twas blue . I always preferred the whippy ice cream tho, Buckleys had lumps of ice in it

An old neighbour of mine emailed me because he had just seen the obit for Les Bales in the paper, and did I remember him. He said he remembered when he ordered a cornet from Les, Les would put a jelly baby into the corner and make a squeaking sound. He wondered if he'd imagined it, did anyone else remember this?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Katyjay.

Pearces wafer sandwich, absolutely beautiful. Much better than cornets; you could chase the melting icecream around the outside of the wafers and then bite into it once you were sure you wouldn't lose any.

And thanks Ashley for reminding me of Padgetts shop on Monsall Street. Opposite where I lived in Chard St. was Robinsons with a similar set up. On the corner of Liddington St. and Ekowe St was Stonalls; another part of the establishment of the area. And obviously you will remember the sweet shop on the corner of Nottm. Road and Rossetta. They always had posters on their wall directly opposite you, advertising forthcoming horse racing at Colwick.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Hi, your Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was my grandma and grandad. I didn't really know grandad but I loved my grandma very much. Your mum was my Auntie Mary Tomlinson and Dad Uncle Albert from Aspley. Albert was my grandmas brother and John was my Dad, married to Nell. My name is Cheryl and I was the oldest of 2 girls, the other being Janice. I have just put Allington in Google and this message came up so I created an account to reply. Please let me know who you are. My dad died last year and my mum is still alive.

• Upvote 1

I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been good if I still remember it!

Hi, your Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was my grandma and grandad. I didn't really know grandad but I loved my grandma very much. Your mum was my Auntie Mary Tomlinson and Dad Uncle Albert from Aspley. Albert was my grandmas brother and John was my Dad, married to Nell. My name is Cheryl and I was the oldest of 2 girls, the other being Janice. I have just put Allington in Google and this message came up so I created an account to reply. Please let me know who you are. My dad died last year and my mum is still alive.

• Upvote 1