• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked up this thread. I well remember Bales ice cream, at one time the only one that came round the Bells Lane Estate. I say came round, in fact he always parked his motorcycle combination on Be

I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been g

I'm replying to my own mail because I forgot to mention that the sirname of my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was Allington. They had a son, John, and both he and his dad worked down the mines.

#49 Morning cousin/ 2nd/3rd??? I'm Derek, youngest son of your Auntie Mary and Uncle Albert. Betty my sister is the oldest, as I always remind her, and she lives in Wollaton. Brother Alan sadly died four years ago. I left Nottingham with wife Ann in 1965 to join the RAF and I've never been back. I remember my Aunty Grace, your Uncle Albert's sister, as a very mild and gentle person but I don't remember so much about Uncle Arch, apart from him having a piano accordion. I remember your mum and dad quite well but as is common with families it was mainly through funerals etc. I also remember a cousin Tom (?) your dad's brother? As far as personal family is concerned, we had a son who died in 2002 but have a daughter who lives 10 minutes away here in Norfolk. There are others members of the family dotted around but not many I'm aware of. I had an Uncle John and Aunty Grace who lived in Beeston and their children are around somewhere. Good to hear from you, I'll let Betty know about our contact. She knows more about family matters than I do.

In the late 1950s Pearces Ice Cream operated from premises in Nottingham Road at the junction with Lincoln St. and Church St. Old Basford.

They morphed into Mr Whippy, Pearce also had a factory on the same site making 'Golden Crumpets' (pikelets) so they had summer and winter sewn up. Pearce senior handed over to his son Roger who eventually opened a car sales on Main St. Bulwell.

Federici Bros. operated from across the road on the corner of Lincoln St.

Unless I'm dreaming, I seem to recall that Pearce's had a 'factory' at the bottom of Ilkeston Road, right opposite the entrance to Triumph Road. Certainly its name was in big letters on the wall there.

You 'aint dreaming....and in the early fifties they had premises at the rear of the Swan Garage on Nuthall Road...although it wasn't called Swan then. I remember there were a few ancient 'Stop me and buy one' Tricycles there in a bed of nettles and thistles.

• 6 years later...
On 8/18/2014 at 3:03 PM, Peterb79 said:

Lesley Bales (my grandfather) took over running the ice cream from his father Frank after the war. He then went onto be a postman until retiring in 1980.

He passed away 6th August this year aged 95

Just replying for my dad Donald Bales who’s uncle was Uncle les. Donald’s dad was Harold Bales and his grandpa was Frank Bales. Could you please contact me PeterB79. Much appreciated. Nicole Bales

Welcome to Nottstalgia Nicole, and it's nice to see someone who has a link to an old subject here.

Unfortunately, Peterb79 - who you are replying to - only ever made two posts here and hasn't been back since August 2014, so I doubt he'll see your comment....but I hope I'm wrong.