I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been good if I still remember it!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just picked up this thread. I well remember Bales ice cream, at one time the only one that came round the Bells Lane Estate. I say came round, in fact he always parked his motorcycle combination on Be

I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been g

I'm replying to my own mail because I forgot to mention that the sirname of my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was Allington. They had a son, John, and both he and his dad worked down the mines.

I was broought up in Aspley but my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie lived in Bulwell. I don't remember the address but across the road was 'Bales Ice Cream', made in a back kitchen but it must have been good if I still remember it!

I went to Springfield Junior and Infants school with their Son....Harold Bales,he was a big lad (must have been the ice cream) and his best mate at school was a wee Lad called Roger Betts....They looked like a 50's version of Little and Large. He had a sister but her name slips my mind at the moment.

Owdtite..... :rolleyes:

I remember as a kid playing on one of the 'stop me and buy one' three wheeled bikes that were piled up abandoned at their place rear of the Swan garage (Or whatever it was called then) around 1955.Never saw one of them 'in action' though.They were already a thing of the past.

I noticed in later years that a wall on Ilkeston Road near Faraday Road had a Pearces sign on it...so figure they had moved to new premises by then.

Over here we have motorcycle ice cream carts with Walls signs on them. They wander around the villages all day. A nice touch from the distant past. Good ice cream too.

Given the pregnancy rate amongst the young village girls, a 'Buy Me And Stop One' vendor might provide a useful service.

I noticed in later years that a wall on Ilkeston Road near Faraday Road had a Pearces sign on it...so figure they had moved to new premises by then.

I vaguely remember from the 1970's there being an Italian family that had an Ice Cream company in that location? Might still be there?

Imagine that nowadays with the 'Elf & Safety mob...:rolleyes: I remember them bollocking a newsagent Mrs Moody of Daybrook for using a large spoon to top up cornets in the 70s...she had to buy a purpose made ice cream scoop.

She pointed to the urchin she was serving whos hands looked like he'd been cleaning a motorbike....pointing out

THAT was the health risk...not her spoon.

Pearces ice cream I remember well from the '50's. A vehicle, perhaps it was a Landy, with a trailer would pull up outside our house regularly in the summer. I think that the livery as pale orange and cream.

I think it was Pearces who used to sell 'suckers' with letters, I think 'S' for some reason, imprinted into the stick. If you were lucky enough to find one of these, you got a free 'sucker'.

I'm replying to my own mail because I forgot to mention that the sirname of my Aunty Grace and Uncle Archie was Allington. They had a son, John, and both he and his dad worked down the mines.

• Upvote 1

Opposite the cemetery gates in Bulwell there used to be a small shop that sold flowers and Suttons ice cream, little bits of ice in it but it tasted great

Rog

Much has changed in that areas since I was a kid, judging by the Google Maps image. The Raleigh factory, if my memory of it's location is correct, is cleared and the Players factory has been replaced by something else. The old bonded warehouses seem to be still their and cream in colour. They were dark green for years after the war. Much of the old Victorian Radford seems to have gone.

The Crown Pub seems to have survived - one of those boozers that looked much better on the outside that the inside. There was a canal that ran parallel to Radford Bridge Road. Long gone, I think.

When I look at the many things lost to Nottingham I sometimes feel that something has been stolen from me. I hope that those who still live there feel that the improvements have been worth the losses.

I seem to recall Pearce's coming round our streets as a kid. If you asked for a 3d wafer sandwich they made it on the spot for you, using a metal mold. Wafer in first, then press in ice cream and wafer on top, pop it out and you'd got your sandwich. No preformed ice cream slabs in those days, IIRC.

!englandflag! On the subject of Ice Cream vans, anyone remember one called Federeci,(pronounced federesee) used to tour around Minver crescent, Aspley in the mid/late 50's, as I recall Mr Federici had a big handlebar moustache!!

Of course then came Mr Whippys' very white ice cream, full of air!!! !rotfl!

!englandflag! On the subject of Ice Cream vans, anyone remember one called Federeci,(pronounced federesee) used to tour around Minver crescent, Aspley in the mid/late 50's, as I recall Mr Federici had a big handlebar moustache!!

Of course then came Mr Whippys' very white ice cream, full of air!!! !rotfl!

I'm sure I remember Federeci's ice cream van coming around Arnold in the 1960s. Unfortunately I don't remember the handlebar mouser!

• 8 months later...

Bales Ice Cream was on Repton Road , you went down to the side door and knocked and Mrs Bales or someone ( They had a son Fred ).would take you to an outhouse further down the yard and serve you with the best Ice Cream in Town, we would call in after playing all day on Bulwell Common The best Fish and Chips were on Repton Rd also and not forgetting the Beer Off . Would John be my age 79 ? Think I went to school with him.