Visiting the grandparents

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You must have had liberal grandparents, CT. I wasn't allowed to go wandering around. I longed to explore the Garden Street house and did occasionally manage to sneak upstairs when the adults were engaged in tea and gossip. One place I always wanted to  see was the cellar but I was never allowed down there. 

One reason I was able to explore the Polo house is because it was quite a big place - in some directions - so easy to become invisible. Four storeys in all; cellar; ground floor; normal upstairs; and then another floor (two bedrooms, not just a loft).

The cellar was probably similar to your Garden St version and that was one place I wasn't able to explore as much as I would've liked. It was accessed from the kitchen, and my grandma seemed to always be nearby, so I was only able to go down there if I tagged along with an adult.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Havent been on here lately but this forum stirred up some memories of my grandparents. my brother and I used to spend our summer holidays with my maternal grandparents in Barrow in Furness ( Lanc

Quite right, Jill.  I don't talk much about birthdays anymore.  This last one was #75.  Never thought I would ever reach such an age.   As well as me dog treats some folks at church bought me a really

Saturday evenings as a kid were often spent at my grandma and grandad's house playing cards for pennies with other uncles and aunts and cousins. The eldest of the grandkids were sent up to the lo

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I think our resident hound, Loppylugs has also had a birthday recently which we missed. I know he likes to keep it quiet!

Belated wishes, Loppy. Hope you enjoyed a few doggy treats!

Quite right, Jill.  I don't talk much about birthdays anymore.  This last one was #75.  Never thought I would ever reach such an age.   As well as me dog treats some folks at church bought me a really nice book for dog lovers.  It's a good book but some of the stories are real tear jerkers.  Someone else bought me a block of wood.  You are supposed to put it on the floor and walk around it twice. Then you can honestly tell folks  you walked twice around the block today.:)

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

.When i visited my grandparents i would go to meadow lane with my grandad to watch the great NOTTS COUNTY with players like Hately Horobin Robey Wylie and Bradley.Going down Meadow Lane there was a small confectionery shop where some of the players would meet before the game,my grandad would buy a packet of polo mints and say they were the mints with the less fattening centres.

• Like 2

Probably my earliest television/film memory….the 1956 French short film Red Balloon.

I first saw this at my grandparents house in Lenton when I was around 7 /8 years old. We didn’t have a TV at home back then, so any television was a novelty.  That occasion and the film have stuck in my memory ever since, and this is the first time I’ve seen it all the way through since the early 60s. It’s also a revelation to see it in colour because it was obviously only black and white on TV when I saw it.

It’s an excellent high-res version, and judging by the Youtube comments, I’m not the only person who has fond memories of it.

My grandparents got tv several years before my folks rented one.  Grandparents got theirs in 53.  The year of the coronation.  When I first got to see it my greatest disappointment was that it was only black and white.  I think we had already gotten used to seeing colour films at the cinema so I just assumed, as a kid, tv would be coloured.  It was some years before colour tv would become a realty.  Just shewing my age I guess.  Now,  where did I leave my crystal set?  :Shock:

29 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

My grandparents got tv several years before my folks rented one.

So did mine Loppy, it was a Bush tv and it had a magnifying lens in front of the small screen to make it easier to see if there was a room full of people

I was lucky. I was within walking distance of them I lived on Faraday Road (just down from the White Horse Pub). Grandma Brooks lived in Miall street and Grandma and Grandad Newberry lived in Guthrie Street.

When I returned to Radford for the first time in 2001 I was saddened to see that neither house (or my own) was still standing. Didn't recognise the area at all.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents, both before and after school as both my parents worked and left home early in the morning and  didn't return until early evening.

I left England in 1964 and never saw any of my Grandparents again. I really wish that i had found out more about them when I had the opportunity but you don't think of these things until you are older and by then it is too late.

My paternal grandfather would never have his photo taken, not even at any of his sons and daughters weddings, not sure if he even went to the weddings. I have one photo that I am told he is on, it is of a Midland Red bus garage of the drivers and conductors but I do not know which one he is.

Visiting my paternal grandparents usually necessitated the wearing of a tin hat as there was usually some argument brewing! Most people would have thought it was dreadful but it was situation normal with Kate and Ted and they revelled in it.

If things were reasonably amicable (which they sometimes were) Ted would chatter incessantly about his time in the Royal Artillery during The Great War. Most old contemptibles (which he was...and Kate thought he  was contemptible in the extreme...) never spoke about their experiences of 1914/18. Not Ted. He never shut up about it. By the time I was five, I was quite familiar with what happened during The Battle of Mons and was well versed on the nefarious antics of the pesky Prussians, as Ted always called them.

I don't know what Ted was like as a soldier but his prowess would have been nowhere near that of Kate who sometimes made Genghis Khan look like a pacifist boy scout.  Happy families!

• Like 2

I had two grandmas to visit one lived in Marple street carrington, and the other lived in Sneinton I think  Lindon rise , cardale road memories abit sketchy on that one , but they were like chalk and cheese , me mums mum would give freshly buttered bread and a bowl of peach halves ,

Whilst tother would give you bacon butties dripping with anchor butter , and would drag you to the sink saying look at that tidemark around your neck !!

I used to love going to my grandparents on Saturday there was always cuecumber done in vinigar on the table. 

My gran gave me advice when I was about to get married, don't go and get your self pregnant every year like our LIly (aunty was mums sister and she had 7 children ) I'll tell you how to stop it. (remember the birth pill had not quite come on to the market) Get your self a box of Beecham's Pills and take one each night

Beechems pill were a laxative.

• Like 1

KatyJay, did you know, the Pope invented a birth pill.....It weighed 2 tons......

The wife had to roll it in front of the bedroom door.  :Shock:

• Like 1

Now you know my grandma i will tell you a bit about my grandad Arthur .   Well grandad had a alloment and each Sunday morning I woud wait at the top of our road just to see him pass. At exactly 11 30 he would come down from the alloment wheeling a old barrow with squeky rusty wheels on, but full of veg and a bunch of flowers for grandmar. his wellobs 2 sizes too big, his trouses tired by a pice of string at the waist, a waist coat with chain and watch in, and his cap, with more holes in than a tennis bat. it was the same convesation every Sunday. hah-do our Mary what you walting for? to see you grandad , its nealy 12 00 grandad , yes Mary and what doe's grandad do on a Sunday dinner? you go to the pub grandad. and you always get home late for dinner .  and grandmar will shout at you That 's right our mary, so you can see now why I take grandma some flowers. yes grandad  well bye our mary and be a good girl for your mum, bye grandad

When master and I married we lived just around the corner from grandad n grandma but Saturday night going home we would always meet grandad who was always worse for wear. master would take his arm and just ask "" should we walk home together Arthur" and with that it was 3 steps forward and  4 steps back.  So 15 mins to get home went to 25mins but my grandad was a real gentleman.

• Like 5

Thanks Mary I did look on Google map as you suggested,  and you know why I can't find Lindon rise ? It was Linton rise ended up on cardale road thanks Mary !

On 10/30/2010 at 6:47 PM, piggy and babs said:

I ONLY HAD MY FATHERS MOTHER ALIVE WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND WOULD OFTEN GO WITH DAD ON A SUNDAY MORNING TO GO AND SEE HER THIS WOULD BE AN ALL DAY THING AS SHE LIVED ON WESTMINSTER TERRACE OFF WEST MINSTER ST ST ANNS. THIS JOURNEY WOULD START WITH US WALKING FROM NETHERIELD TO CARLTON SQUARE TO GET THE 39 TROLLY BUS IN THEM DAYS GET OFF AT PORCHESTER RD ACROSS THE RD TO WERE NEW HOUSING ESTATE NOW IS. THIS USED TO BE ALLOTMENTS . UNCLE ALBERT POUNALL WHO WAS A RAG AND BONE MAN KEPT HIS HORSE HERE AND WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE ON A SUNDAY MORNING SEEING TO HIS HORSE WHO WAS CALLED HURCULISE THIS WAS LONG BEFORE THE STEPTOE AND SON SERIES ON TV. HE ALSO KEPT ANGORA RABBITS OF ALL COLOURS AND THEY HAD TO BE GROOMED EVERY DAY AND THE FUR WAS PUT INTO SACKS TO BE SOLD LATER. OUR FIRST PORT OF CALL WOULD BE HIS ALLOTMENT WERE I WOULD HELP TO GROOM THE ANIMALS I LOVED TO PLAIT THE HORSES MANE AND TAIL I USED TO STAND ON A CHAIR TO DO THIS.UNCLE ALBERT USED TO GIVE POTS FOR RAGS SO THERE WERE ALWAYS LOADS OF WOODEN BOXES ON THE ALLOTTMENT FULL OF POTS WHILE DAD AND ALBERT WERE DIGGING UP VEG FOR GRAMMA I HAD TO FIND A DOZEN GOOD CUPS AND SAUCERS FOR US TO TAKE HOME TO MUM.OFTEN THERE WOULD BE TINY COFFEE CUPS AND SAUCERS AND I COULD TAKE SOME OF THESE HOME TO AS A DOLLS TEA SET IF I WAS LUCKY I MIGHT FIND A SMALL ONE PERSON TEA POT OF A SIMMILAR DESIGHN. THEN IT WOULD BE OFF TOWARDS GRAMMAS VIA A FOOTPATH AND DOWN DONKEY HILL I WAS GLAD IT WAS DOWN AND NOT UP BUT IT COULD BE A BIT DIFFICULT IF IT WAS ICY. ACROSS ST ANNSWELL RD TO THE BOTTOM OF WESTMINSTER ST THERE STOOD THE OLD WESTMINSTER PUB.IT IS STILL IN BASICALLY THE SAME PLACE TODAY BUT THE ORRIGINAL ONE WAS PULLED DOWN AND A NEW ONE BUILT. THIS WAS AS FAR AS DAD AND ALBERT WOULD GET UNTILL AFTERNOON CLOSING .THEY WOULD BUY ME A BOTTLE OF POP AND A PACKET OF CRISPS AND THEN SEND ME UP TO GRAMMAS WITH THE BAG OF VEG. GOOD JOB IT WAS NOT TOO FAR TO GO AS IT WAS ALWAYS VERY HEAVY FOR ME . MY GRAMMA DIEDWHEN I WAS 7 SO I WAS REALY YOUNG . BUT I ALWAYS REMEMBER HER AND HER HOUSE JUST TWO UP AND TWO DOWN OUTSIDE LOO. YOU ALWAYS USED THE BACK DOOR NEVER LOCKED I USED TO GO IN AND GRAMMA WOULD BE SITTING IN HER ROCKING CHAIR WITH HER LACE CUSSION ON HER KNEE.SHE WAS ALWAYS IN THE SAME KIND OF CLOTHS AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER DARK DRESS WITH A WHITE APRON ON BOTTLE OPENER TIED ROUND HER WAIST WIT A BIT OFF STRING LONG HAIR IN PLAITS WRAPPED ROUND HER HEAD. NOT MUCH IN THE KITCHEN SINK ,DRESSERBIG RANGE FIRE WITH A BIG GUARD ROUND IT BIG KITCHEN TABLE AND ALWAYS UNDER THE TABLE WAS A CRATE OF BEER DOUBLE DIAMOND USUALLY.I WOULD KNOCK AND GO IN SAY HELLO GRAMMA TO WHICH SHE WOULD ALWAYS SAY WHICH ONE ARE YOU AND PASS ME A BOTTLE FROM UNDER THE TABLE I CARNT EVER REMEMBER SEEING HER STANDING.I WOULD GIVE HER THE BAG AND TELL HER DAD AND ALBERT WOULD BE ABOUT AN HOUR TO WHICH SHE WHOULD SAY YES AN HOUR AFTER CLOSEING TIMESHE KNEW THEM AS WELL AS MY MUM.I WOULD SIT AND CHAT TO HER FOR A WHILE AND THEN ASK IF I COULD GO IN THE FRONT ROOM LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS IN HER CABINETS IN THERE BUT ALWAYS WARNED NOT TO OPEN THE DOORS ON THEM OR TOUCH ANY OF THE OTHER THINGS IN THERE. WHEN I GOT FED UP IN THERE I WOULD TELL HER I WAS GOING TO SEE MY AUNTIE MABLE WHO LIVED ROUND THE CORNER ON HUNGERHILL RD SHE WOULD ALWAYS GIVE ME SOME LUNCH DINNER IF GOT THERE BEFORE SHE DISHED UP OR A COLD MEAT SANDWICH IF THEY HAD ALREADY EATEN LUNCH. I WOULD THEN PLAY WITH MY COUSEN PAMS DOLLS HOUSE FOR A WHILE I LOVED THAT DOLLS HOUSE UNCLE JOE HAD MADE IT YEARS BEFORE FOR PAM. SEE WAS SIX YEARS OLDER THAN ME AND ONLY HAD ONE BROTHER UNCLE JOE TOLD ME I COULD HAVE IT WHEN I WAS A BIT OLDER BUT I NEVER DID GET IT AND LATER FOUND OUT THAT AUNTIE MABLE SOLD IT TO SOME SHE KNEW. BACK TO GRAMMAS BY THIS TIME DAD WAS BACK WE WOULD HAVE A CUP OF TEA AND MAYBE A BIT OF CAKE AND THEN START OUR JOURNEY HOME IF I WAS LUCKY WE WOULD GET THE BUS DOWN ST ANNSWELL RD TO HUNTTINDON ST TO GET A BUS BACK TO NETHERFIELD . BACK HOME OUR SUNDAY LUNCH WOULD BE IN THE OVEN WITH A PLATE ON READY FOR US WHEN WE GOT HOME IF WE WERE LUCKY IT WOULD NOT BE TOO DRY BUT MUM WOULD ALWAYS MAKE FRESH GRAVY WE ATE OUR MEAL BY THIS TIME IT WOULD BE TIME FOR MY BATH AND BED BEFORE SCHOOL ON MONDAY. WE ONLY HAD THE OLD TIN BATH .THIS WOULD BE IN THE KITCHEN WHEN WE GOT HOME AS MUM AND THE OLDER GIRLS WOULD HAVE HAD THERES IN THE AFTERNOON WHILE WE WERE OUT AS WOULD HAVE MY YOUNGER BROTHER SO ON THESE DAYS I HAD THE WATER ALL TO MYSELF AND COULD STAY IN AS LONG AS I LIKES OR AT LEASTE TILL MUM MADE ME GET OUT TO GET READY FOR BED HOT TEA OR COACO IF I WAS LUCK.

Talking of Donkey hill , I loved climbing to the top of there to see the view,  my brother went to school somewhere around there Rosehill school , I lived on leicester street one of the streets off of st anns well road.

David what a wonderfull story.  Was it Albert Pounall who kept the rag &bone shop inbetween Edwin st and Liedestes st? If mum was a little short of money she would say, just nipthe old wollons to Pounall for me and make sure you get the right money's.It used to be 3d a rags but 6d for woolens.

• Like 1

My grandmother who lived on Grimston Road, Radford, was the only person I knew who used the word 'Scullery' for the kitchen area.

I've come across it in print in various places over the years, but she was the only person I heard use it in everyday speech - she never said 'kitchen'.

My grandmother also used the word scullery for the kitchen. Pre marriage she lived mostly on Harold Road, Radford. She had a brother, my great uncle Albert who lived on Glentworth Road. Perhaps something to do with the area?

I don't think the word SCULLERY was confined to the Radford area. Emily Ward, my relative who lived in Garden Street from the late 1920s always referred to their huge kitchen as a scullery. However,  Emily wasn't born in Radford. She was born in Clapgun Street, Castle Donington and, after that,in Lambley. I think the word was fairly widely used among a certain generation.

We had a scullery when we lived on Denton Street, back in the 50s. It were a tiny room, about the size of a phonebox. This was off the back room, used as a living area kitchen. Said scullery had shelves to one side and a shallow sandstone sink, which was a bit daft really as we didn't have a tap !

• Like 1