Visiting the grandparents

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

David what a wonderfull story.  Was it Albert Pounall who kept the rag &bone shop inbetween Edwin st and Liedestes st? If mum was a little short of money she would say, just nipthe old wollons to Pounall for me and make sure you get the right money's.It used to be 3d a rags but 6d for woolens.

so sorry about spelling at the time of posting I was half asleep.   Leicester St   woollens and I think it was 6d for rags and 1/- for woollens. not as quoted. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Havent been on here lately but this forum stirred up some memories of my grandparents. my brother and I used to spend our summer holidays with my maternal grandparents in Barrow in Furness ( Lanc

Quite right, Jill.  I don't talk much about birthdays anymore.  This last one was #75.  Never thought I would ever reach such an age.   As well as me dog treats some folks at church bought me a really

Saturday evenings as a kid were often spent at my grandma and grandad's house playing cards for pennies with other uncles and aunts and cousins. The eldest of the grandkids were sent up to the lo

I was born less than 100 yards from @Troggs house on Leybourne drive....at my Aunts house 118.......and 4 doors from my Grandparents at 126...........they both had a scullery and a Ponch....oh yes and a Companion set..........:).....and being Posh a Dartboard on the living room door.........

When I was little, what we called our kitchen, only had a table and chairs, and a pantry opening off it.  From this kitchen there were 2 stone steps down to what we called the scullery where there was a sink and drainer, a cooker, a metal dolly tub with a long handled ponch made of wood and a mangle.  (We didn’t have a maid!!!)

The stone steps were used for sharpening kitchen knives

10 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

...oh yes and a Companion set..........

I mentioned them in an old thread. The grandparents in Radford had one but in those days I didn't know what it was called; it was you who told me !

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/20276-duraglit-brasso-and-companion-sets/?tab=comments#comment-646250

• Like 1

My grandmother, Arnold born and lived all her life always referred to her kitchen as the scullery. My mum called our kitchen, the kitchen but the small store room off the kitchen was the scullery which is odd as we had the bath in there which had been moved into there from upstairs as the house was a 2 up 2 down and I needed a room separate to my sister.

For us the scullery was the same as the kitchen.

My grandparents and great aunts would say scullery but my Mum and Dad would say kitchen.

We had a scullery a middle room and a front room , the scullery was so small you could not swing a cat round and   with your gas cooker, sink, a few shelves and, that was it. 

Defernition from the dictionary  Scullery a room for rough kitchen work,    cleansing of utensils.   

I will leave the defenition of what it is with you.

All three houses that I lived in before getting married had Scullery (sculreh), living room and front room. Door to cellar under the stairs. Outside lav. No hot water. Front room only used when we had visitors and to listen to music when we got a Dansette. B&W telly in living room 1957. Phone in living room 1968. I left home and bought a new house with new bride Mrs PP 1962. Gosh - how times have changed.

11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I don't think the word SCULLERY was confined to the Radford area. Emily Ward, my relative who lived in Garden Street from the late 1920s always referred to their huge kitchen as a scullery. However,  Emily wasn't born in Radford. She was born in Clapgun Street, Castle Donington and, after that,in Lambley. I think the word was fairly widely used among a certain generation.

Jill, I lived at 81a Clapgun Street Castle Donington when I first got married. . We were in Donno for 18 years. Small world eh?

• Upvote 1

Both of my grandads passed away in 1954, when I was only 4 years old.  I didn’t see a lot of my paternal grandad because my Daddy didn’t get on with him.  To be honest I just remember him looking like Winston Churchill and sitting in a big wing-backed chair with a glass of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.  He lived with my lovely granny on Devonshire Promenade off Derby Road but when granny was widowed she couldn’t afford to stay in that house so moved in with her spinster sister on May Avenue in Wollaton. This was my great-grandparents house from new but great-grandad had passed away in 1954 too.    We kids had great times there, with the house backing onto the village cricket field.  

My maternal grandparents lived on Queens Grove in the Meadows, with the Grove pub at the end of the street (now The Vat and Fiddle) this house was 3 storey, with the ‘best front room’ in the front door straight off the street.  We never entered the house through that door but had to walk along the back of the houses, past the rows of outside loos and into the back door which led into the scullery.  The room that was used mostly was the kitchen, with comfortable chairs, and table/chairs for meals, a little telly in the corner where Granny would watch the Saturday afternoon racing!  Granny’s stew and chips was legendary!  Even though I was very young when that grandad passed away I have beautiful memories of sitting on his knee and him teaching me to draw, he was a talented artist but sadly none of his artwork survived when the house was cleared in the mid 1960s.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Both of my grandads passed away in 1954, when I was only 4 years old. .... He lived with my lovely granny on Devonshire Promenade off Derby Road 

A few years later - in the early 60s - I would sometimes be on Lenton Rec, which looked onto Devonshire Promenade. Looking across the hedge/fence which separated the Park from the Promenade, it looked exotic because it appeared to be a semi-private road and had a gate at one end.

I was there because my grandparents lived on Dunlop Avenue, just across Derby Road.

• Upvote 1