The ancient forest of Sherwood could be doomed to logging and development it has been leaked in the press. Despite prices for British wood being far less competitive than that of the Scandinavian countries the government has decided as part of its austerity plans that it may sell thousands of acres of Forestry Commission land. This change will also change the protection rights of this world famous woodland habitat protected since the Magna Carta.

This sale could possibly destroy hundreds of important sites with untapped archaeological interest as well as destroying the ancient characteristic of the Bassetlaw area. It would also remove vast swathes of the roughly 1,000 hectares of important natural history of the county which would be irreplaceable. So if you’re interested in saving rainforests you may need to look closer to home and quickly to protect the few remaining areas of large woodland in the UK.

DEFRA have so far refused to comment but it is likely to in the next few days.

I've also posted the rest of the talks for the society on http://priorieshistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/2010/10/priories-historical-society-talks-2011_30.html . I'll add them on here when I get time :)

Anyone remember when you could actually stand inside the Major Oak? The last time that I saw it, it was fenced off. Still, the poor old thing was on its last legs anyway. Make way for a development of neat little chalet style homes or a commercial park.

I remember standing in the tree, they reckoned 22 men could get in there, that was the legend so they said. A bit of a squeeze me thinks, but it certainly held a few folks.

• 11 years later...