St Anns Well Road 1960-1972

I was born in Sherwood, but my brothers were born and raised in St Anns. Probably well known as they were always fighting, if not them then there Uncles. However my mam used to tell me all sorts of stories. Anyone live there at that time...

:rolleyes:

Once lived on Bangor street off Alfred street north during the early seventies, high density housing but it had a strong friendly community, and it was ok.. today the high density has gone, and a different set inhabitants have moved in. you mention fighting, well they still fight down there today, the only difference is nowadays it's with guns and the police! :blink:

• Upvote 1

I was about 13 or 14 when we left St Annes, which would translate to 1960/61.

My mum was the manageress of the Lady Bay cleaners on Alfred St South near Blue Bell Hill opposite Agars green grocers store. I recall them as I had a crush on Jennifer, their Daughter and old man Agar was an electrician at Cotgrave Colliery.

Prior to that, we lived in Kings Lynn Terrace off Turner Street, more or less just around the corner. Went to Blue Bell Hill infants and Junior School and Huntingdon Sec School.

So whereabouts did your family live Darcy???

Knocked around St Anns/ Sneinton around 1970.

Pub Frequented 'The Union Stewards' Anyone remember the Disco there?

Bit after my time Mick. Mum and Dad used to drink in the Coachmakers Arms on the corner of Union Road though way back!

Mum used to work at the Cavendish Cinema at one time too, when I was a snotty nosed kid. Used to get in for the Saturday matinees free!!

fave around the 70s was the Cavendish a bit further up the road in Carlton, it had a disco to the righthand side (kool kat bar) ?? .. we would frequent there most nights and 'boogy on down' with Rod Stewart, or 'freak out' with pet clarke! .. depending what was on the juke box!

brown sugar, ape man, grandad, maggie mae,.. they all got down there around that era too! :)

Remind me which was the Cavendish? I should know this?

The Cavendish was between Alfred Street and Peas Hill Road, on St Anns Well Road.