Pity Brian is not alive, as we are not able to ask him, I met him once many years ago at GT Cars in Nottingham - he told me he was a Geordie and was proud of it........He often commented on his origin on the TV, he was known as Geordie Brian.....He was a great guy....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Peter Taylor 25 years today. A disgrace that his role at the club has been ignored for so long, renaming the main stand long overdue.

You'll know when your there it's a way of life out there! U-reds.

Peter Taylor died 24 years ago today, rest in peace a true legend.

Geordies were named by the Jacobites, I learned that in history at school..........

#54 - Bubblewrap ------- WHY ?.....

Lots of pettiness on here tonight, must be because of Mercury, the planet of communication is retrograde............ Will be back to normal after the 9th October.......... Incidently, Brummies are Midlanders, the same as us and Cloughie was a Geordie..........

Anyway, I'm off to bed now.....Nighty, night folks.......... :sleeping:

:sickly: No, Mars up Uranus is much worse....ouch !!!!!

Just a little bit of local goegraphical linguistics - (I live in Co Durham)

Smoggies (aka smogmonsters) are from Teesside. Its self-explanatory. This is a relatively new term and not one Clough would have used. The closest thing he might have used was Burra lad.

Makems are from Sunderland. Because they make things. "We mak em"

Geordies are most certainly from Newcastle and draw the distinction along the north bank of the River Tyne.

Wooly backs live north of the Newcastle conurbation. Or west of Durham city. Or anywhere the population is exceeded by the number of sheep.

Pit yakkers live in the now almost derelict pit villages of Durham.

• Upvote 1

You tell em md.

So your a Geordie then Mercury Dancer, same as Cloughie ? - glad we got that sorted, phew !!!!!!!!

Blondie

I'm from Nottingham, born and brought up in the city, and consider it the centre of the universe.

In all of my time up here in Co Durham and North Yorkshire (30 years, so I have served my time) I have never heard any Teessider call themselves Geordies. Its simply not credible. They dont consider themselves to be Geordies. I have never seen anything where Cloughy identifies himself as a Geordie. I would appreciate any quotes along those lines. It would be incredible that anyone from Middlesbrough would describe themselves as a Geordie but with Clough, anything goes. He may well have said so to gain popularity, or some other credibility.

The Teesside accent is totally different from the Sunderland accent and far away from the Geordie accent. The Durham accent prevalent in most of the areas of the north Tees area is certainly not like a Geordie accent.

Culturally those south of the Tees are more Yorkshire than anything else, those north of the Tees find affinity with Durham, which is neither Sunderland or even more remote, Newcastle.

• Upvote 1

Michael that is what I thought Bramcote to Spondon.

There is a road sign at the junction of Derby Road and Lenton Boulevard, opposite the cinema which reads - Derby Road, Brian Clough Way.

So is it the Highways dept. or Nottingham City Council stretching it a bit.

The A52 between Derby and Nottingham, as well as the A6200 into Nottingham, was named Brian Clough Way during August 2005 in honour of Brian Clough, both Derby County and Nottingham Forest's greatest ever manage

Looks like you are right davep5491.

Blondie

I'm from Nottingham, born and brought up in the city, and consider it the centre of the universe.

In all of my time up here in Co Durham and North Yorkshire (30 years, so I have served my time) I have never heard any Teessider call themselves Geordies. Its simply not credible. They dont consider themselves to be Geordies. I have never seen anything where Cloughy identifies himself as a Geordie. I would appreciate any quotes along those lines. It would be incredible that anyone from Middlesbrough would describe themselves as a Geordie but with Clough, anything goes. He may well have said so to gain popularity, or some other credibility.

The Teesside accent is totally different from the Sunderland accent and far away from the Geordie accent. The Durham accent prevalent in most of the areas of the north Tees area is certainly not like a Geordie accent.

Culturally those south of the Tees are more Yorkshire than anything else, those north of the Tees find affinity with Durham, which is neither Sunderland or even more remote, Newcastle.

SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!! - North of England is known as Geordie land, always has been - Brian Clough is a GEORDIE ........

Well yes, amongst other things...... :ninja:

• Upvote 1

When I worked in Newcastle, I learned in no uncertain terms Geordies only come from Tyneside. So Cloughie must have been an 'honourary' Geordie, Blondie, lol.

As regards the start of Brian Clough Way, the QMC is supposed to be on it.

• Upvote 2

According to most Londoners the "North" starts at Watford Gap does that make me a Geordie

Most Londoners nowadays have never heard of the north unless it was a northern port where they snuck in on a lorries axle....

• Upvote 2