Free access to Ancestry

• 5 years later...

We have the basic membership but these free weekends mean that I can access probate, land tax valuations and electoral rolls that do not come in the basic membership. West Yorkshire has an excellent coverage of these records. I do look at the public trees sometimes as you can with basic membership but I find it just makes me cross when they have got things wrong!

I have just signed off from Ancestry having had a very successful time. It was a late start as I could not miss Trapped on BBC4!

How much does basic membership cost on there? I haven't spent much time this weekend looking at that sort of thing but all I can see is just short of £100 per year. I have not been on Ancestry for a long time and I must say it has improved somewhat since last time I tried to use it.

I have Essentials Membership which now costs me £95.99 a year. When i joined on 5.6.07 it cost me £63.96, there was one price rise in 2008 up to £83.40 and then no change for 7yrs which I thought reasonable. There are three options....Essential, Premium and Worldwide. The more you pay; the more freedom of search you have.

I keep saying I will pull out due to making economies, but I have such a lot of enjoyment in my various researches, each year, I say, one more year. I highly recommend joining. I believe there is a pay as you view option at £9.99, but you will need to look into that.

Happy Hunting Malcolm.

EDIT. I can look into other peoples trees, to see if anyone is researching the same people as I am, (which happens a lot) and also just to browse trees. This can only be done when the tree is Public not Private, in which case you would have to contact the tree owner.

I generally wait until I need some information, then sign up to one of the limited-time free trials, using whichever credit/debit card I haven't previously used and an email address I set up just for that one purpose.

As soon as the trial is due to expire, I cancel the membership so don't get charged.

:)

I don't just use A.com for building my Tree, There are all sorts of interesting things to learn about. Some sad, some surprising and some very intriguing. I can see the gain in signing up for the free offers and then closing the account before the end. But this way works for me.

I am researching three separate trees at the moment and spend a lot of the early hours of the morning on A.com. among other sites.

When you start delving into other peoples public family trees, you will be surprised how many trees, you will find members of your ancestry among the names on their lists. I think I must be related to most of Carlton and Gedling in one way or another? Joking. When I come to Gedling, It makes me wonder while walking down a street " Am I passing a distant relo of mine"

Just think, as you walk, if you pass someone with a strong family resemblance ( "I wonder if".....)I see so many people with a resemblance to my lot?

• 5 months later...

I use my local library's subscription to Ancestry. It's not entirely free because it all comes out of the council tax charge but you can access most areas. I've found lots of information that way and lifted loads of photos from other people's trees. To be fair, I've also sent them some of my own! Works for me!