Brooks scrap yard.

Hello All.

Im am wanting people to jog my (poor) memory of the Brooks family who had a scrap yard I believe in Radford.

I remember one son named Tom and I believe there was 2 or 3 more sons and one daughter.

I believe the family lived in Bar Lane for some time.

Ellis school as known then had in there workshops 2 aircraft engines given by the Brooks Family.

They were all real "hard nuts" but very likeable, one of them once threatened me with a bottle, only threatened thank goodness, just because I had punched and knocked down his brother when we were playfully boxing, without gloves. There was never any hard feelings.

My Father as a policeman once pinched the Father for some "offences" then advised him to plead guilty to one or two and not guilty to all others thus reduceing his sentence, it worked. After that he would have given anything to my Father and they were the best of pals for some years.

All this was about middle 40s till the late 50s.

Mick Fenner.

• Like 1

I remember their scrap yard very well, as you say it was at the junction of Gauntley St / Enfield St. Later the yard was owned by a company who hired heavy plant out, Vibroplant. My brother in law worked for Vibroplant back in the early seventies.

Met up with some of the Brooks family about twenty years ago, at that time they had an office supply business near Daybrook Square. Not there now though.

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Went to college with Paul Brooks (of scrap yard family) late 60's early 70's we were both training to be motor vehicle technicians, I remember his dad buying him a Lambretta scooter in about 69/70, guess he would be in his late 50's now, nice lad though

Rog

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/8/2016 at 4:51 AM, Jack Brooks said:

Hi was browsing the internet looking for things on the Brooks scrap yard and found this forum thought I would post here. 

On 11/13/2010 at 12:31 PM, Fenner said:

Hello All.

Im am wanting people to jog my (poor) memory of the Brooks family who had a scrap yard I believe in Radford.

I remember one son named Tom and I believe there was 2 or 3 more sons and one daughter.

I believe the family lived in Bar Lane for some time.

Ellis school as known then had in there workshops 2 aircraft engines given by the Brooks Family.

They were all real "hard nuts" but very likeable, one of them once threatened me with a bottle, only threatened thank goodness, just because I had punched and knocked down his brother when we were playfully boxing, without gloves. There was never any hard feelings.

My Father as a policeman once pinched the Father for some "offences" then advised him to plead guilty to one or two and not guilty to all others thus reduceing his sentence, it worked. After that he would have given anything to my Father and they were the best of pals for some years.

All this was about middle 40s till the late 50s.

Mick Fenner.

Hi my dad is tom brooks 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My mother Edna May Brooks, my mother, left her family in 1956,she left behind Alan, Brian and Marion Smith, her children and James Edward Smith, her husband, not sure what became of her but would appreciate any information. Her parents were Albert and Emma nee Minion Brooks

• Like 1

This thread seems to have accumulated a large number of one-off posts which have a common link of Brooks, but without much other connection.

One day we might be able to tie up several loose ends.

I remember, I believe it was Len Brooks who told me, that when they were contracted to demolish part of Radford Colliery, the winding gear wheel was cut from its housing and rolled off towards some property fortunately stopping before any damage resulted!

On 10/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, Jeanette said:

Hello Mick,

I've just come across this forum   how exciting

My mums Diana  one of George and Ethels daughters

Jeanette

Jeanette,

Did your mum have a younger sister, Joanna and brother 'Bod'?