Where is everyone!!!!

#38. As I see it, the Likes tab is there for two reasons: to let someone know that you liked/agreed with what they had posted, be it a comment or a picture, and/or to encourage them (without posting a message) to contribute more  in the same vein. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be quite a few comments concerning the lightweight nature of posts and threads. However, am I just being daft, or isn't the site the sum of the contributions from members? If it's becom

...and a large number of others who used to post frequently.  I've said it before, and it's been said by many others, but this new format has seriously reduced the activity on the site. A smaller numb

Hi All have not been on the site for a while but I do agree with you about the new concept. I my self do not like it (come back old site) but on this site we have something that other sites don't

26 minutes ago, Trickymicky said:

At the moment on the activity page there are fifteen topic titles for " Where is everyone ?". Surely there should be just one, with the latest contributions listed beneath it? 

That is exactly the key reason why it's so crap. Every individual new post is listed, which can result in a massive, pointless list. In the old system, only the thread was highlighted, and you could then find the new posts within it. That meant a list of one, not a list of 15. Which meant that, on the front page, you could see everything which had happened within the last week or so; whereas now you see everything which has happened within the last hour. And anything from yesterday has vanished beyond sight.

I stopped posting as many things as I used to, because I felt it was a waste of time. It would be seen by half a dozen people who happened to be there at the time, and then it would disappear off the bottom of the list. 

just looked on the opening page, there are 50 posts, 28 of those are separate individual comments on 'Where is Everyone' most of the rest of the page is filled with so-and-so has given a positive response to a certain post.  

The site has got to change.

• Upvote 2

#52, On Tuesday I added a new topic titled Count your blessings. I am always finding bits of interesting info on the internet and because the link was about the living conditions of some of our Nottm ancestors, I thought it would be of interest to a few on NS. There were three follow up posts and then I assume the topic had moved off quickly as they seem to do on this new format and out of sight. Such a shame, I did think it would generate a bit more interest given the chance.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It would be seen by half a dozen people who happened to be there at the time, and then it would disappear off the bottom of the list.

• Upvote 1

I like Likes'..............giving and receiving.........but we don't need em to be highlighted,......we know when we got one,..........

• Upvote 1

Very good point benj. Every one doesn't want to see all the notifications of likes that other people get, it almost turns them into status symbols instead of compliments; which they are, and that is how I take them. If only there was a way for just the person receiving the like (compliment) to see it, it would be more personal and not so annoying to the few people who don't particularly like them.

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

Cliff, can Invison alter the structure.. without involving huge cost?

I've wondered that, but I don't know anything about the inner workings of it.  There may even be a few "Off / On" options available, which would be useful.

We haven't heard from Mick on this issue.  Based on some of his past comments he may well just pull the plug.  Then we'll have nowt to complain about and nobody to complain to.  That would be a great shame.  I've never met  ANY of you but  I consider ya'll friends. I would hate to lose touch.  Just me five cents worth.

• Upvote 2

The annoying thing is that NOTHING has been resolved from day one of the changeover.

I honestly don't believe there's anything poor Mick can do really, despite his valiant efforts. He has my sympathy. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

We haven't heard from Mick on this issue.  Based on some of his past comments he may well just pull the plug.  Then we'll have nowt to complain about and nobody to complain to.  That would be a great shame.  I've never met  ANY of you but  I consider ya'll friends. I would hate to lose touch.  Just me five cents worth.

We'll have to all join Facebook and have our own group on there, I can hear the moans amongst you anti-Facebook folk but you don't need to be-friend all sorts of random people, just keep it to  Nottstalgia. We do have a good friendly group here. Still, I hope Mick doesn't pull the plug, and he's likely to with all our complaining. 

• Upvote 1

LizzieM, quite right!! It's possible on FB to have a 'Nottstalgia Spinoff' group that's not public, Ann B. did it with the MODS site, only going public after a while, it would require no Costs/Admin'/Moderators it polices itself.................if we dint like owt we'd just boo n' hiss!!

• Upvote 1

There is already a 'Nottstalgia' FB group, although it hardly ever gets used. https://www.facebook.com/Nottstalgia/

I post quite a bit on various other Facebook Nottingham pages, but this Nottstalgia page (where we are now) has an atmosphere which I don't think FB can ever achieve. It has lost some of that atmosphere recently, but I assume there are ways the problem can be solved and normal service can be resumed.

So would it not help if the Contents page was re- jigged and instead of listing hoards of posters about one thread- it contains subjects.. as opposed to telling who gave reputations.

IE: the meaty stuff on the first page.

This has got us all talking anyway!.. certainly wouldn't defect elsewhere... where the hell would I find another Carni????

That's what we've requested from day one. Anything to simplify the new content. 

We, well I personally, can do without the 'Like' facility full stop. It surely must be the most superficial, superfluous, facile and totally unnecessary and overused thing on this planet, other than Simon Cowells mirror.

Seriously folks, just look and think !  

No, I'm not ordering people about, just get on with the subject in hand. If this nonsense has originated from FB, then that's just one more reason to kick the bleddy thing into touch. Do we really need the self gratification this brings ? 

Rant over ! 

Carni now, ...... What's this becoming, Dawson's knocking shop ? 

Benjamin, now stop it ! You'll get NO likes in future !

I have just got home from a shopping trip and as usual straight on my laptop and Nottstalgia. I feel really saddened to see all this talk of perhaps moving on. I pop in and out of various sites but have no inclination to join any of them. The closest one to give me any enjoyment is "The St Ann Well Rd" site, which I do enjoy.

I sincerely hope that Mick doesn't get fed up and close down or any of you move on. I love Nottstalgia even with all of the ups and downs at the moment. If the worst happens, I know I will never bother to join another site, I have no interest in doing so. 

I hope that we can get back the unity that bought us together, which is our memories of Nottm in the past and present. 

Ian and all :Friends:of you.

• Upvote 4

Phew, Carni, I thought you were getting a little smutty !

Exactly, there's at least a couple of right pooh stirrers on here !

However, I'm normally the one who adds 2 and 2 and ends up getting somewhere approaching 7.