Re #6 and #13. I've unearthed a photo taken at the cricket field mentioned in Clifton Village, the only one in existence (to my knowledge - apart from an aerial one). Featured in the photo is Harold Butler, the legendary Notts & England fast bowler who was born in the village. The umpire officiating behind him is Jack "Jack" Stevenson the blacksmith that you mention....

thumb_HJ_Butler_1935.jpg

Quality is not brilliant, so picture can be found here if anyone is interested....

http://p-c2gallery.ecb.co.uk.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/photo/image/155520/thumb_HJ_Butler_1935.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have stumbled upon the following piece of text in a publication about Clifton Village.....unfortunately I can not find any other documentary evidence to prove this. With the bi-centenary of Waterloo this year I am attempting to validate this claim - do any of Nottstalgians have any further knowledge of this please...............Many thanks

Waterloo

At the summit of the [Clifton] Grove stands 11 ancient Turkey Oak trees. Some of the locals think they were planted to the memory of eleven Clifton men who fought and died at Waterloo. Trees have often been planted in the area to commemorate historical events.